News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Taking liberties

Started by Rendiami03, April 30, 2013, 09:25:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rendiami03

I think I've found a character I really like but I'm wondering if after learning about the history of the character, if I'm "allowed" to create a fictional component to the character? This allows for me to embrace two personas I am drawn to into one character. Or is it better to just adopt 2 characters?

Thank you.
Michelle

Orphena

Hi Diami03,

I think that all depends on what the character is for. Are you on cast? Part of a performing company? What festival are you attending?

If you are cast, any character alterations will need to be discussed with the entertainment director. Most actors tend to put a little bit of their own spin on a historical figure - but how much of a spin varies on the festival.

If you are just attending, that could be your choice. If you choose someone easily recognizable, then expect that people will note your deviation from history. How they react cannot be predicted. I would say the more famous the character, the less fictional components you have to work with.

If you are just attending, there really is no need to identify yourself as an actual historical character - most times I go as Lady Orphena Swanbee..... and no one blinks an eye. That gives me artistic license to interpret my character as I wish. If I play an actual person, I need to represent them as fairly as I can.

Hope that helps!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Rendiami03

Thank you. That does help. I'll just be attending and one of the characters is not likely known. Your advice is most helpful.

Aderin

Quote from: Rendiami03 on April 30, 2013, 10:14:34 AM
Thank you. That does help. I'll just be attending and one of the characters is not likely known. Your advice is most helpful.

Splendid! You'll bring that character to life and light, for may people are in the dark regarding your character :)

The more the merrier!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.