News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Visiting! To Jack or Not to Jack?

Started by CapnJack, April 30, 2013, 05:26:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnJack

Well met my Texan brethren (and sistren)!  My name is Michael Sheridan, and I am from Denver, Colorado.  I attend the Colorado Renaissance Festival every year, and have worked down there for several seasons doing various different things, but mostly performing.

At any rate, myself and a few of my CRF friends are planning an excursion down to your neck of the woods for Memorial Day weekend (which may already be known to some, I'm not certain).  Most of those coming with us have visited your faire before over the past several years, but I am a complete stranger to Scarborough.  I'm ridiculously excited to be able to finally visit another festival outside of Colorado (other than my home faire I've only ever been to the Pittsburgh ren faire for one weekend, which sort of doesn't count, as it's owned by the same people), and I'm hoping maybe you guys can give me some advice for this trip.

As you no doubt can tell by my name and avatar, I got my start at CRF doing a Captain Jack routine.  I realize there is a lot of irritation out there surrounding the good Captain (he's not remotely from the correct time period, he's not even period correct for HIS time period, and mostly, freaking EVERYBODY thinks they can do him, so he's become an almost ubiquitous part of ren faires across the country, etc.), but in my defense I was one of the first people ever to do the character (and I mean EVER - I started costuming Jack at Halloween 2003), and I would like to think I do a passable job at it.

Anyway, what I'm wondering is this: should I bring Jack to your festival?  Of course, Jack is sort of my "signature role," if you will, but I have developed others, and I want to give them the chance to get out of the box and play a little (I too am a getting a bit tired of Jack Sparrow).  I have a Robin Hood/woodsman persona that I absolutely intend to bring with me, and I am also thinking about doing a "filthy pirate gunner" character.  Now, the tough part is, at this time I believe I will only be staying 2 of the 3 days of Memorial Day weekend, so that leaves me in a bit of a pickle.  I know I am absolutely going to bring my woodsman gear, but I honestly can't decide whether to bring the pirate gunner or Captain Jack.  If I end up staying all 3 days then my problems will be solved, but my question to all of you is, if I can only stay for 2 days, which one should I bring?  The gunner or Sparrow?

As I've mentioned, Sparrow is kind of my signature role - the one I'm definitely best known for around here - and on some level I feel it would be a shame to leave it at home when I finally get to visit a new festival.  I do love doing it (even if it does get a bit old after a while), and I think it will make a lot of folks happy.  On the other hand though, I don't know how he will be received down there.  Different areas have different attitudes towards this character, and from what I understand, your cast tends more toward the historical than the fantastical (I think?).  Since I believe I will technically be down there in the capacity of a guest performer, will this not be looked well upon?  Or is there maybe another gent down there who does the same role who might be offended if I brought my version?  I haven't a clue.

I haven't done the gunner character yet, but it's something I've been cooking up for a while, and I think he would be fun.  It would be great to give myself the chance to develop that one, but I'm not sure I want to do it at the expense of a character that is, in my opinion, my best performance.  I would just maybe take both and then change halfway through the day, but changing into and out of Jack Sparrow gear takes WAY too long, unfortunately.

To give you an idea, below are a few pictures of me as Jack taken at a recent photoshoot:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/73930_583002895056796_159544930_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/555122_10152783627175424_1811478622_n.jpg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/525331_10152783627220424_44699310_n.jpg

Any advice is greatly appreciated, and I can't wait to see you all down there!  Cheers!
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain

Meagan

Do what you want. There are several Jack Sparrows on any given day down here, so yes, we are open to it. That being said there are several Jack Sparrows on any given day so you won't stand out and be unique, either. Personally, I like to try out new ideas when I visit other faires. I like to be able to test new items and gauge reactions before unleashing it in a faire where half the people know me.

Otwell Throckmorton

You will not offend anyone by playing Jack...  Heck, if you do it justice, people will probably love it!  Most of the Jack's I've seen around are costume only, no mannerisms or anything like that that I have seen...  So if you play the role well, you might actually stand out from the other Jack's
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

DonaCatalina

On pirate weekend we had possibly three Jack Sparrows? I don't think any thought it was irritating. Feel free to bring whichever character you prefer to our good village.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Only advice I can give you for that weekend... 3 things:
1) Texas
2) Memorial Day Weekend
3) Hot as Hell

It isn't like Colorado RF where you can simply walk into the shade and get cool. Just be aware.  I saw you in Larkspurshire a couple of years ago...riding the elephant during parade, if I'm not mistaken.  Very good characterisation of Jack!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

skitter

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 01, 2013, 07:22:51 AM
Only advice I can give you for that weekend... 3 things:
1) Texas
2) Memorial Day Weekend
3) Hot as Hell

This, yes. 

Oswyn Fenecote

For pirate weekend I had a giant marie antoinette wig- pretty m,uch everyone loved it, and appreciated it. There were a few who scoffed, but on the whole it was well received. And as for the patrons, well, they were in love.  ;D I think you're good to go!

P.S your subject line was hilarious. :)
Oswyn Fenecote

Clan McCann

I don't think you'll find someone here who "discourages" you from being what you enjoy. (Unless you're in Starfleet uniform  ;))

I have seen a few  Jack Sparrow's at Faire this year, but as some have said, they are mostly costume and not really *well done*.  Personally for me I would use this as an opportunity to reach outside your typical box. You'll be in a new place where people won't know that you're typically Cap'n Jack, so that persona won't be missed like it possibly would be at your home Faire.

Also, as our resident Wizard mentioned, it is typically quite hot, so I would recommend that you come in a persona that can accommodate the heat.

All that being said, I'd love to see a well played Captain Jack Sparrow, and my companion, another Pirate Captain, always enjoys a good pirate persona.

I will be there Memorial day Monday, and would love to meet you and see which you decide to go with.

Lady Kaalyn

I will chime in as well. I would love to see your Captain Jack but as everyone has said.  It is HOT. and not normal hot, Its melt your bones fell like you can move hot.  :P I would suggest a costume that would look good as you slowly take off layers.  Or invest in some of the moister wick type under clothings they can really help. 
Texas Renaissance Festival
Scarborough Faire
Sherwood Forest Faire

Otwell Throckmorton

1) Texas
2) Memorial Day Weekend
3) Hot as Hell
I'll have to disagree with Merlin here...  It's not as hot as Hell...  it's HOTTER than Hell...  That's kinda why the devil made his home in Hell, and not Texas...  He says it's a much more pleasant type of heat!
"As for me, all I know is that I know nothing"
"Beware the barrenness of a busy life"
- Socrates

Ryk Rakham

The hotter than hell is right! Bring Jack, but make sure that he wears his lightest, coolest garb and stays hydrated! Can't wait to see you guys. Stay in touch as the time approaches. Safe travels!
Ryk Rakham, scourge of the Red River
Rhyk Dragonfang

Jezz the Belle, scourge of the scourge
Lady Sherry

Merlin

Brother.... as a long time member of Scarborough and a member of the Queens Own Highlanders as well as one of Queen Margarets Magnificent Seven.... I say to you.... "Do as ye will, lest ye harm no one". (I stole that from the Wiccan religion)... However.... I have traveled to your WONDERFUL fair and was welcomed with open arms.... as you will be on your arrival here.

Please come to Row 12 for pre-canon tailgate ....food and drinks starting around 8:15ish.... and feel free to contact me with any questions.

"And shepherds we shall be, for Thee, my Lord, for Thee.
Power hath descended from thy hand that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands.
We shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be.
In nomine Patris, et filii, et spiritus sancti"
(I stole that from Boondock Saints)
Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Merlin

By the way.... My AVI was taking at your home fair. Well.... actually on top of Pikes Peak...but at the same time
Anál nathrach- Breath of serpent
Orth' bháis 's bethad- Spell of death and of life
Do chél dénmha- Thy omen of making

Al-Nimer

Quote from: Otwell Throckmorton on May 01, 2013, 09:34:53 AM
1) Texas
2) Memorial Day Weekend
3) Hot as Hell
I'll have to disagree with Merlin here...  It's not as hot as Hell...  it's HOTTER than Hell...  That's kinda why the devil made his home in Hell, and not Texas...  He says it's a much more pleasant type of heat!
I agree with Otwell, it's usually hotter than Hades here by Memorial Day.  There was one year a few years back that it rained cats & dogs, and we had the Pecan Grove River, but that was an anomaly.  I simply cannot stress it enough, that when you come, be well-prepared for the heat that you are not used to.  As our good King VIII said on here once (and this may not be an exact quote):

1. Drink lots of water.
2. Drink more water until you pee.
3. Drink even more water until you pee clear.

Something that I do, as do many of us, is alternate mugs of water and Gatorade (or something with electrolytes.)

One thing you do NOT want to see st Scarby is the inside of the First Aid booth (although the cold room is...literally...quite cool!  I only know that because I had to retrieve someone from it once.)
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - Adam, Mythbusters

CapnJack

Thanks so much to everyone who has responded!  I am very excited to head down there, and I think I'm going to have a great time.  I will definitely consider bringing Jack, but I'm still torn about what to do if I can only make it for 2 days.  Hopefully I will be able to make it for all 3, but I haven't figured out all the details yet.  If I do, then I won't have a problem after all.

As for the heat, I actually do think I have an idea of what you mean.  Here in Colorado we are lucky enough to have a dry heat in the summer, but even so it can sometimes reach in excess of 105 degrees in the shade on especially bad days at our faire.  In addition to this, the only other faire I have visited (as mentioned above) was the Pittsburgh Renaissance Festival back in August of 2007 - at which time they were having a record breaking heat wave. It was 100% humidity and over 100 degrees every single day I was there.  The heat was like a physical force - when you walked outside from an air conditioned building it felt like you literally were being punched in the face by it.

Anyway, I appreciate the warnings, and I will do my utmost to ensure I have appropriately lightweight and breathable garb, and of course to keep myself well hydrated and properly nourished.  If Jack becomes too much for me I may end up abandoning the dreadlocks and just "generic pirating" the rest of the day, haha.  We shall see.

Also, thanks to Merlin the Elder for your kind words!  I have enjoyed working there, and I'm glad to be able to finally see another festival (one not run by the same people at least).  Oswyn: I'm glad you found it amusing, haha.  And to Merlin (the Younger, I assume) I think we will indeed have to come by for tailgating before canon!  Thanks for the invite mate!
"I've been through some terrible things in my life.  Some of which have actually happened."

-Mark Twain