News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Bad nasty Pagan"

Started by Yrose, July 04, 2008, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yrose

I know there are many religions represent here on the boards and a lot of open minded people. I hope some of you will find this as offense as I do and sign the petition at the link below.

Does Kathy Lee Gifford Hate Pagans?
Thursday June 26, 2008

I'd rather remove my eyes with a spork than sit through seven minutes of Kathy Lee Gifford, but reader TwinkerBelle tipped me off to this video of yesterday's Today Show. Apparently Kathy Lee was going around a wedding asking people little quizzy questions so she could give them gift bags. Here's the exchange:

Kathy Lee: Why do you wear your wedding band on your left hand ring finger? Is it because (a) most people write with their right hand? Is it (b), because Egyptians believed that finger follows the vein of love to the heart, or (c), the Pagans -- the nasty, bad Pagans -- believed it was bad luck to wear metal on your right side?

Now, I know Kathy Lee is all big into born-again Christianity, and she's quite devout -- more power to her, she's welcome to be. But really, Kathy Lee, was that little dig necessary? If she had said, "Those greedy, sneaky Jews" or "Those dirty, unwashed Hindus", or any other ugly stereotype, it would have been equally obnoxious.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/quotnasty-bad-pagansquot-protesting-hate-speech-on-nbc
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Joyce "Delfinia DuSwallow" Howard

>:(  People like her keep hate and anger going, she makes me sick! Didn't care for her on Regis and dislike her even more now! >:(
MDRF Dandy  "Delfinia DuSwallow"
Sun'n Penny - Clan O'Morda
LandShark #71
Maker of Buttery Nipples

fortryllelsestudios

I got this too, I am glad you posted it here, because what really makes me angry about it is the tolerance that people have for these kinds of comments when it comes to Pagan beliefs.  I mean, did you hear about the boy scouts who were thrown out for telling the truth about who they were?  Inconcievable.  In my opinion this is no different than the horrible racial slur uttered by dog the bounty hunter  which caused his show to be canceled for a while.  The only real difference is that he said it on a private phone call and this was spread all over the airwaves.  Why perpetuate this kind of hate?  Why perpetuate this kind of ignorance.  Tolerance seems not to be an important part of Christianity in her bizarre world.

captmarga

Some people who are Christians need to do their research about their own holidays, services, and the origins thereof.  There  are mighty few pure religions that do not have some crossover - ie, borrowed similarities... Whatever happened to tolerance and freedom?

Sad.

Capt Marga
Corp Capt Marga, Dame Den Mother, Scarborough Royal Guard.  Keeper of the Costume Closet.  Artist, Rennie, Etc, etc, etc

Kiss-me-Kate

I am a Christian, and I am embarassed by her comment.  It was rude, ignorant and very unprofessional.  She should be ashamed of herself.

Please don't think that those of us who are Christians are all that narrow minded. 

If Ms. Gifford had half a brain, she'd realize that Jesus was the most tolerant person to ever live.  If she would shut up long enough, she could also learn a few things from Him.
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

renren

Renren
Wench  #  3783
Treasure Guardian and giggling interrogator of the "Feisty Lady"

Guppy # 32 ROoL

nliedel

Pagans, the overweight and I've noticed autistic kids (seen that with my own eyes) seem to be parts of society that are, "Okay" to pick on. Makes me furius, since 1. I am Wiccan, 2. I used to be 320 pounds (now 159) and 3. I have an son with autism. It just blows my mind what people who are either, 1. ignorant, or 2. devoid of empathy will allow to come out of their mouths.

Also, I've never really liked her much. I don't know why, cause I try to find redeeming qualities in everyone, but I'm at a loss with her.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

Yrose

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on July 05, 2008, 02:01:47 AM
I am a Christian, and I am embarassed by her comment.  It was rude, ignorant and very unprofessional.  She should be ashamed of herself.

Please don't think that those of us who are Christians are all that narrow minded. 

If Ms. Gifford had half a brain, she'd realize that Jesus was the most tolerant person to ever live.  If she would shut up long enough, she could also learn a few things from Him.

In no way do I find all Christians to be like this. My own daughter is Christian and attends church regularly. I'm very happy that she does and that it works for her. But she also realizes that I'm still her mom and haven't really changed that much (grew up Christian like most). I just simple look at God (the all) differently than she does and she accepts that. Just wish others could see and understand that.
Don't forget to smell the roses, but watch out for the thorns!

Queen_of_Navarre

It doesn't matter if you are Christian, Jew or Pagan. This is a insult to the  religious freedom of all Americans.  If we allow any group to be disparaged who will be the next one to be the unacceptable  belief?
Reyna Marguerite Regina d'Navarre
Royal Order of Landsharks #45
Keeper of the Hairless Cats
Artist of Crescent Moon

nliedel

Quote from: Queen_of_Navarre on July 05, 2008, 08:01:58 AM
It doesn't matter if you are Christian, Jew or Pagan. This is a insult to the  religious freedom of all Americans.  If we allow any group to be disparaged who will be the next one to be the unacceptable  belief?

Perfectly said, okay to bash one group, okay to bash another. However, we have to allow it to some degree, because I believe in freedom of speech. Even from the people who hop cause their feet are in their mouths. Whch is sadly why I support her freedom to say such idiocy, even if I never want to hear it. Part of free speech is putting up with the ignorant. However, I don't have to give them a soapbox, keep it clean and shiny and listen to what they say. Harumph.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

I give that Witch (Replace W with B as a Witch is not the best name for her) No credit. Remember that she was the one crying about Child labor and in fact her line of clothing was made by Child Labor.

And isn't it funny how as Pagans we now their christian religion more than those who try to spout all this bible stuff. Who made them Judge? It wasn't their God.

Not every Christian is bad, but Mrs. Gifford is not one of them. It's people like her that make this world a sad place filled with Hate.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

nliedel

I've been a pagan for a long time. Let's see, forty four, minus thirteen. OH DEAR GODDESS!!!! I can't possibly be that old. I've seen some pretty disfunctional, fascist pagans too. There are a few in every faith. The larger the faith the greater the numbers.

Lady Renee Buchanan

Firstly:  I in no way condone bashing anyone's religious beliefs (or no beliefs, if they choose).

However, the first post got me curious, since I didn't see a link to the video.  So I went online to find it, and I watched it.  And, risking the ire of some of the members here, I don't think it was said to offend anybody.  I really don't.  She is interviewing guests in the middle of a wedding, asking a question about something from a thousand years ago.  Don't you think she could have been jokingly referring to some of the customs back then?

I got my Renaissance magazines out from the various wedding issues.   Statements like "since pagan belief still loomed strong in the minds of the times" (while speaking of weddings in the Middle Ages), could bring to mind the fact that long ago grooms kidnapped their brides and took them away from their parent's homes, the "honeymoon," and other rituals of current marriage traditions that date back to pagan ritual.  Including one from about 8 miles from my husband's family home in Weymouth, Dorset.  In a town called Cerne Abbas, there is a huge carved giant on the whole side of the hill, including his male endowment.  In the old times, the night before the wedding, the bride to be would climb the hill and sit right on top of this particular body part, to ask for fertility during her marriage.

Could she have half-jokingly referred to things like that -- instead of bashing a religion?  After seeing it, this was my first impression.  But then I went back to what I had googled, and saw some postings from a Wiccan group, in which some of the members said it was no big deal, and they didn't feel like they were being slurred.

Again, I would never, ever, ever condone bashing anyone's religious beliefs, but I really don't think she meant what is being purported (and I am not a KL fan, either). 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

RumbaRue

Just a little known fact that exists:

People in Europe wear their wedding bands on their right finger, not the left which is totally a USA thing. To wear a ring on the left, signals you are available.

As for religion bashing....being a Pagan/Celtic Minister, my answer to this is:
If only closed minds, came with closed mouths.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

serenamoonsilver

Quote from: Lady Renee Buchanan on July 05, 2008, 05:20:40 PM
Firstly:  I in no way condone bashing anyone's religious beliefs (or no beliefs, if they choose).

However, the first post got me curious, since I didn't see a link to the video.  So I went online to find it, and I watched it.  And, risking the ire of some of the members here, I don't think it was said to offend anybody.  I really don't.  She is interviewing guests in the middle of a wedding, asking a question about something from a thousand years ago.  Don't you think she could have been jokingly referring to some of the customs back then?

I got my Renaissance magazines out from the various wedding issues.   Statements like "since pagan belief still loomed strong in the minds of the times" (while speaking of weddings in the Middle Ages), could bring to mind the fact that long ago grooms kidnapped their brides and took them away from their parent's homes, the "honeymoon," and other rituals of current marriage traditions that date back to pagan ritual.  Including one from about 8 miles from my husband's family home in Weymouth, Dorset.  In a town called Cerne Abbas, there is a huge carved giant on the whole side of the hill, including his male endowment.  In the old times, the night before the wedding, the bride to be would climb the hill and sit right on top of this particular body part, to ask for fertility during her marriage.

Could she have half-jokingly referred to things like that -- instead of bashing a religion?  After seeing it, this was my first impression.  But then I went back to what I had googled, and saw some postings from a Wiccan group, in which some of the members said it was no big deal, and they didn't feel like they were being slurred.

Again, I would never, ever, ever condone bashing anyone's religious beliefs, but I really don't think she meant what is being purported (and I am not a KL fan, either). 

I don't think the problem is that she was refering to things handed down from pagan tradition (by the pagan was one of the wrong answers.  Ironically, I think it was a Roman tradtion and the Roman religion is considered a pagan religion..but I digress.).  If she had just said, Pagan I don't think anyone would give two hoots about it.  But she added the "bad,nasty" to it.  Historical Pagans were neither "bad" nor "nasty" either.  Still, it continues a common misconception that anyone who isn't Christian is "bad". 

So even if she were totally ignorant about modern paganism (which wouldn't surprise me), its still uncalled for.  You wouldn't say bad, nasty Aztecs or bad, nasty Egyptians.