News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Bad nasty Pagan"

Started by Yrose, July 04, 2008, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fenrisulfr

Unfortunately, this may not be only an issue of morality; she is in show business.  I would bet this pithy remark scored her points with the fundamentalists  ::)

In either case, the All-Father has plans, I am sure.

The miserable man and evil minded
makes of all things mockery,
and knows not that which he best should know,
that he is not free from faults.

Havamal, verse 22

taylorl76

Ironically, I think it was a Roman tradition and the Roman religion is considered a pagan religion..but I digress

As a trivial information collector and Latin Competion participant ( Kinda like academic team only for Latin Language, Culture, etc) I can confirm that it is indeed a Roman tradition....there was a belief that there was a vein that  attached directly to the heart  in the left ring finger  ;D
*Images and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

Noble Dreg

O.K., I tracked the video down and watched the whole segment...it reminded me of why I am glad I have a day job and miss daytime TV!  Did anyone note the hosts bashed Cathy Lee at the begining by saying "the winner gets a gift bag and the loser gets Cathy's new CD"?  She even apologized to one "loser" while presenting them with her CD.  I think she tried to be funny and missed (she's no Carlos Mencia!).

I think it is less a case of "hate speach" and more a case of bad TV.  Not smart to be sure but far from a hate filled rant.  A prime example of network ignorance.   ::)
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Angus

Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, AKA Mahatma Gandhi once said:

"I like your Christ, Your Christians, not so much. They are so unlike your Christ"

...take it for what it's worth.
Chief cook, and bottle washer...

Noble Dreg

Quote from: Angus on July 06, 2008, 09:59:10 PM
Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, AKA Mahatma Gandhi once said:

"I like your Christ, Your Christians, not so much. They are so unlike your Christ"

...take it for what it's worth.

And yet as a Christian I am not offended...as I understand the truth in his words.  It is a hard thing to live up to ones own ideals.  I have met jerks of all races, creeds, and orientations.  Though not near as poetic as Gandhi, it is nevertheless true, "Mean people suck".
"Why a spoon cousin? Why not an axe?"
Because it's dull you twit, it'll hurt more. Now SEW, and keep the stitches small

Kiss-me-Kate

Well said Dreg.  Direct and to the point. 
I still think she shouldn't have said something like that.  It was rude and unprofessional.
Maybe it irks me so much because  I just can't stand her. 
As for daytime tv, I can't believe it is so awful.  Just drivel and crap.  I guess she fits right in.
I thought prime time tv was bad...
~ Notouchin' M'Crack
Pucker Up!

Lady Aldyth

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on July 06, 2008, 11:04:43 PM

I still think she shouldn't have said something like that.  It was rude and unprofessional.

Ummm... ok
This IS Kathy Lee we are speaking of. I, as a Pagan, could not give a rats behind what she says or believes. I really do not think that this has changed anyones thinking or influenced anyones stereotypes on Pagans. You can hear worse on "The Believer's Voice of Victory" any day of the week anyway.

Sorry... but I for one think it is one of those "Get over it!" things.

And as a side note:
Not that Pagans recruit... but if they did, would we WANT people that like Kathy Lee as followers? LOL

Tipsy Gypsy

That was highly unprofessional of her, but consider the source, unfortunately. I'd certainly like to believe that non-Christians don't view her lack of class as a reflection on all Christians, however, any more than I think bad behavior from someone else should reflect on their particular faith, or ethnicity, or economic status, or hair color, or whatever...

I'll give her props for one thing, though- it's got to take an enormous amount of talent to talk with one's foot shoved so deeply in their yap.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Whistler Fred

I've frequently found myself insulted by those who mock my Christian beliefs.  Often, it's done as a joke, with no "hate" intended. But the words can still sting, particularly when they are based on negative stereotypes. 

I suspect Ms. Gifford has done something similar with Paganism - making an offhand mocking "joke" without considering whether it would genuinely be insulting.  It was coarse and stupid, but calling it "hate speech" seems too much of a reach.
Whistler Fred (Lauritzen)

"Get ready for the Whistler.  I'll whistle along on the seventh day."  Ian Anderson

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Fenrisulfr on July 06, 2008, 04:21:45 PM
Unfortunately, this may not be only an issue of morality; she is in show business.  I would bet this pithy remark scored her points with the fundamentalists  ::)

In either case, the All-Father has plans, I am sure.

The miserable man and evil minded
makes of all things mockery,
and knows not that which he best should know,
that he is not free from faults.

Havamal, verse 22

well said.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Femme Falchion

It's fear-based speak of the ignorant.

On a cognitive-behavioral level, I've found that folks who make statements like this, are really speaking to their own thoughts and feelings about themselves.

Gramercy to KL for giving us the opportunity to think on our own stereotypes and prejudices...and setting them free.

Domina Virago
Grand Mistress of the Order of the Hatchet
Mother Confessor
Sister of the Spring Fires

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: Kiss-me-Kate on July 05, 2008, 02:01:47 AM
I am a Christian, and I am embarassed by her comment.  It was rude, ignorant and very unprofessional.  She should be ashamed of herself.

Please don't think that those of us who are Christians are all that narrow minded. 

If Ms. Gifford had half a brain, she'd realize that Jesus was the most tolerant person to ever live.  If she would shut up long enough, she could also learn a few things from Him.

My sentiments exactly, Kate.
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Charlotte Rowan

Quote from: RumbaRue on July 06, 2008, 12:30:06 PM
If only closed minds, came with closed mouths.

I LOVE this! What a great way to put it!
Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

Demetrius

I had this weird dream- Kathy Lee Saying, "Nobody move, I've dropped me brain..."
Truth teller of exceptional proportion...
Proud to be a part of the Colorado Renaissance Festival...

TiaLD77

Quote from: Tipsy Gypsy on July 07, 2008, 01:27:00 PM
I'll give her props for one thing, though- it's got to take an enormous amount of talent to talk with one's foot shoved so deeply in their yap.

*Snort* yep you do have to admire her for that. I was curious after reading the first page of posts so I throttled down my urge to gag at anything KL & watched it. She was trying to be funny & fell Horribly flat....much like her Music career come to think of it.
I want to play with your head like a drunk kitten:)