News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Bad nasty Pagan"

Started by Yrose, July 04, 2008, 09:43:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

daylight

Well I`am a christain, and  NO  I don`t  not agree with what went on. she has offened and hurt people she dosen`t even know .There is a big differeance between the self-righteiousness, and  those who are simlpy saved by grace. by what Jesus did. I `am saved by grace and grace alone not of my own works.  The self-rightious are what most people run into today, they have no love in them only a stern rule and comdeming tounge. Jesus comdemed the reglious and self -righteiousness in the church for that very thing.They were then and still are today the reason why people have become so offended  and or hurt, they bear no love. Jesus loves everyone, no matter who you are or what you do He loves you by His choice,not by the choices you make.   Most of self-rightious people won`t love you unless you are like them, and do what they do, they will not allow you to be you. For that I`am sorry, I`am sorry that any of you were hurt. I know that what she is doing is NOT pleaseing to God and she dose what she does of her own free will. For Me I chose to LOVE YOU at all costs. I`am  sorry you were hurt.

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

Well said Daylight, I applud you and your open accepting mind.
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Lady_Claira

Personally I did not see the segment, so I'm basing my opinions off of this thread. For that alone, I ask forgiveness.

Anyway.

I am a Christian and fairly strong and I'll be the first to admit that I'm not perfect, but I don't believe anyone in any other religion is perfect either. I do not believe that I currently have any pagan friends (off-line, at least), though I do have friends from many different belief systems.

If she said that to offend, then yes, even I am upset by it. Just because I disagree with the pagan way of thinking, does not in any way give me the right to bash a pagan. If she was saying it to be funny, and not offend, (despite the poor taste) then it doesn't bother me as much, though I'm still annoyed that she'd try something like that to be funny.

The one thing that bugs me the most, and it seems like most of you don't do this, is when people lump the entire group together and blame them all for the actions of one. The Christians I know would never purposely offend anyone and the same is true for my Jewish friends, atheistic friends, agnostic friends, etc. There are hypocrites in all belief systems. Not just mine and honestly that is what bugs me the most.

I try to be open minded, and I probably fail miserably due to the fact that I am more stubborn than a mule. (It's true and it has sometimes pissed my friends off) But on the other hand, I am trying and I'm willing to sit and listen to someone explain their beliefs to me. I probably won't ever change my mind, but at least I'm listening and I'm trying to be open minded. I know there are alot of close minded people out there and sometimes, I am one of them. And I doubt it is a good thing.

I apologize if anyone was offended by the actions of her or any other Christians. Personally, I believe if a Christian is trying to offend, then they aren't acting very christianly. Last I checked part of being Christian was to not be self-righteous because we don't have the ability to be perfect or whatever. We're all gonna screw up. It's human nature. So don't think of yourself as any better than another because even to Christians we are all equal, whether we have the same beliefs or no.

Okay, so that is my rant. And I'm sorry if it got boring or anything or confusing... I tend to not always make sense.
You see this training pin? It could be yours. You could learn all about wenches! And that's a promise! - My friend Mike

Lady Christina de Pond

please don't assume because of her actions that all Christians are like Kathy Lee. Yes I'm a Christian too I don't denigh it nor will i be ashamed of it. I also don't hide that fact of who i am. I am not about to Bash you because you don't have a relationship with my savior. Too Call you and what you believe names doesn't make you feel good and I know is rather offensive. Even though i would hope you to come to know my savior I'm not about to go insult you or what you believe. I can only be who i am and hope that something in me draws you and you find yourself wanting what i have. I am sorry that she has done this is make the rest of us look like crazy Zealots. As Previously stated bye Lady_Claira because we are Christians doesn't make us perfect Being a Christian means we have relationship with Jesus and that we want to be more like him.  It doesn't mean becaue your outside of what i believe that i have a right to call you bad or insult what you believe i strive to respect everyone's faith on here even those who believe in nothing at all. Please respect my faith as well and please forgive her too.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

fortryllelsestudios

I think the reason it struck such a nerve is because as a pagan, most people I encounter have very set ideas about what it means to be pagan and most of it is derogatory and most of it is wrong.  People envision orgies and drugs and maybe even some sort of devil worship.  Granted I am quite a bit on the earthy crunchy granola side of things, and that alone causes me no end of problems just getting through a lunch hour at work, or getting my child through a meal at school (we are vegetarian as part of our belief set and this has to do with the earth, not the animals but I digress)

When the only way your most cherished beliefs are portrayed is negative, each and every one of those little daggers only serve to promote hatred and misinformation.  That is why its a big deal.  The fact that I cannot wear a small tasteful pentagram to work without worrying about my career, the fact that my son cant tell the scout troop what we are or we would be thrown out...

And what most people who arent pagans do not know is that we are all much more alike than we are different.  I wish that before labeling us bad and nasty, she would bother to get to know one.

I dont blame her for her ignorance, I just wish she wouldnt promote it to the masses.  I do believe it was a feeble attempt at humor but it fell way short and needs to be addressed on a public forum to erase some of the damage caused by her comment. 

just my tuppence..

SirRichardBear

When the only way your most cherished beliefs are portrayed is negative

Like Christians in popular media?   In the popular media Christian means either an ignorant redneck or a dangerous fanatic.

But scouting shouldn't be a problem the Scouts have members from most religions many of which are classified as pagan in that they are not monotheistic.  Scouting is popular in Japan for example with has only a small monotheistic population the overwhelming majority are  Shinto and Buddhist.  In fact the scouts give out awards set up by Buddhist.  If a Scout master made a issue of someone being Pagan he would in fact be breaking Scouting regulations and rules.

As for wearing a pentagram to work I guess that depends on the company you work at.  I can't wear any jewelry were I work but its a safety issue jewelry and high voltage don't mix will at least not if you wish to keep all your bits in the right places.

Just remember that ever group is made up of the tolerant and the intolerant no one has exclusive rights to good or bad manners.
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

nliedel

Every group has people who mock their beliefs and their diety(ies). It's part and parcel of being human, sadly. To some the assertion that they have all the answers for everyone means they are right and they want desperatly to be right. People like neat bundles and answers and it's scary to think you might be wrong about your faith system, your rearing of your children, you're lifestyle in a way that might mean you've made some horrible mistakes in your life, or harmed yourself because of your choices.

Although I'd sure like to know where all these pagan orgies and drugs were when I first became Wiccan, cause I really missed out.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

SirRichardBear

Although I'd sure like to know where all these pagan orgies and drugs were when I first became Wiccan, cause I really missed out.

I understand personally I'm upset none of my Pagan friends have never invited me to join them at the orgies.  I mean come on they could have least asked.   I'm hurt that they never considered me worth trying to recruit. 
Beware of him that is slow to anger: He is angry for something, and will not be pleased for nothing.
Benjamin Franklin

nliedel

Quote from: SirRichardBear on July 14, 2008, 01:12:19 PM

I understand personally I'm upset none of my Pagan friends have never invited me to join them at the orgies.  I mean come on they could have least asked.   I'm hurt that they never considered me worth trying to recruit. 

Well the next time I hear of a real live, not just idiots playing at being pagan cause they watched, "the Crap" orgy, I'll give you a shout. Don't hold your breath, cause it's never happened to me and I've been at this since I was thirteen. I'm forty four now. I've seen it all, from people using it for power, to tree huggers, to folks who were looking for a home that felt right to facists and honest lovers of the earth. In other words, the good, the bad and the dear god, I've lost my book of Shadows and I think my dad just found it.
My journey from mundane to Ren Actor

PurpleDragon

Quote from: nliedel on July 14, 2008, 02:24:14 PM

Well the next time I hear of a real live, not just idiots playing at being pagan cause they watched, "the Crap" orgy, I'll give you a shout. Don't hold your breath, cause it's never happened to me and I've been at this since I was thirteen. I'm forty four now. I've seen it all, from people using it for power, to tree huggers, to folks who were looking for a home that felt right to facists and honest lovers of the earth. In other words, the good, the bad and the dear god, I've lost my book of Shadows and I think my dad just found it.

WOW.. I could have written that post entirely myself based on my own experiences. 
Karl "Dragon" Wolff
The Pirates Cove

Bin Ich SCHLECHT? Ja BIN Ich.