News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

3D Bristol

Started by Vartha, July 04, 2008, 02:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vartha

MAN I wish I had the proper programs to make a Bristol people could go into and talk virtually in 3D.

Valknut

That's great stuff Vartha!  Although I am a die-hard 3DSMax/Viz user, SketchUp is a really quick and versatile tool and you have really done some prolific work with it! Do you take measurements or simple eyeball the proportions? Are you assembling the whole thing into a landscape as well?  Thanks for posting!
In the 19th century the problem was that God is dead. In the 20th century the problem is that man is dead. - Erich Fromm

TKM

i really want to check out bristol some time. it looks like quite the faire. one of our main men from kcrf (jim gasser) has been there visiting for a while, now. it would be great if you could finish this project, and let strangers to bristol take a virtual 3D tour before visiting. i would love that. once you do get the project complete and arranged in proper order, you should save it all as one 3ds file (or whatever filetype google sketchup can save in. i dont know, ive never worked with it) and upload it somewhere so i can open it on my own 3d program.

Vartha

Quote from: Valknut on September 01, 2008, 02:32:56 PM
That's great stuff Vartha!  Although I am a die-hard 3DSMax/Viz user, SketchUp is a really quick and versatile tool and you have really done some prolific work with it! Do you take measurements or simple eyeball the proportions? Are you assembling the whole thing into a landscape as well?  Thanks for posting!

Well the combination of the Satilite pics off Google Earth and pics of the shops is how I build the shops. Which is why you'd see an occasional request from me in here for pics since I now live in Arkansas.
  I go up at X-mas but at that time all the carts, tents, and such are gone for the winter. I ask for as many pics as I can get from friends still up there.

Vartha

Quote from: TKM on September 02, 2008, 11:37:33 PM
i really want to check out bristol some time. it looks like quite the faire. one of our main men from kcrf (jim gasser) has been there visiting for a while, now. it would be great if you could finish this project, and let strangers to bristol take a virtual 3D tour before visiting. i would love that. once you do get the project complete and arranged in proper order, you should save it all as one 3ds file (or whatever filetype google sketchup can save in. i dont know, ive never worked with it) and upload it somewhere so i can open it on my own 3d program.
That's the plan. I was planning on uploading the buildings to Google Earth, and the individual shops to a "warehouse" as they call it to download and view with a viewer. As I'm told Sketch up's not compatible with SOME programs, not sure what all programs tho.

I've actually been wanting to visit KCRF. I've heard from several Bristol rennies it's alot like Bristol.
  Bristol just has this abvionce about it, it's hard to pin point.

Ratman and Bobin

Quote from: Vartha on September 01, 2008, 01:40:54 PM
MAN I wish I had the proper programs to make a Bristol people could go into and talk virtually in 3D.

Bobin and I have talked quite a few times about how cool it would be if someone made a game kind of like "Sims", maybe "Rensims" or something. Where you could go to different "renfests", and there would be merchants and minstrels and joust matches and the like. You could even have it "online" so you could actually talk to people whilst strolling the lanes. Would anyone else be interested in a game like this??
cheers,
Ratman & Bobin 
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants!
Isaac Newton 1642-1727
Chroniclers of Willy-Nilly

Vartha

Here are a couple more.
  The Action Stage took me THREE full days to make. The angles and size was what took so long since it's one of the only stages that has ALL sides exposed to the patrons.

the Joust Pub,

I'm working on the Black Swan Inn by the Action Stage too.

QuoteBobin and I have talked quite a few times about how cool it would be if someone made a game kind of like "Sims", maybe "Rensims" or something. Where you could go to different "renfests", and there would be merchants and minstrels and joust matches and the like. You could even have it "online" so you could actually talk to people whilst strolling the lanes. Would anyone else be interested in a game like this??
cheers,
Ratman & Bobin 

I would LOVE doing that. The CLOSEST thing anyone has done was on Active Worlds. Sir Clisto had built a partial Bristol where we'd go and talk. Thing with that was it got costly for him, AND you really couldn't get as detailed as I'm getting.

At Least I'll have the maesurements of the buildings if I ever run into people with the right programs. I'm even going to make the tents.

Vartha

The Black Swan as promised.

Lord Figaro

Those are just plain cool Vartha. Taking a virtual tour would be something to see. I like your idea of going into it, and talking virtually in 3D. It would also be a great way to design the ultimate renfest site too. Just would be a gawd awful long time to do it. Wish I had the technical savvy myself.
Those who do not remember their past are condemned to repeat their mistakes.

George Santayana

Vartha

Thanks Lord Figaro,
   I'm up to 18 buildings and there are around 150 of them. lol

There are a few sites you CAN do that with already, but as I've said they aren't to the detail of the buildings I'm working on.
  Furcadia is one of those sites other than Active Worlds that's a chat world, and the look of the building "materials are limited BUT I HAVE built a very Close version of Bristol using thier programs, the problem is I'd have to split Bristol in half and can't figure out how to connect the two "worlds" or Dreams as Furcadia calls them.

Vartha

Wow went up to Bristol while I was up there for X-Mas with my Kids, and even in the snow I felt at home there. I'm GLAD I'm still conected at Bristol. lol
   I got around 50 pics of shops, mostly on the north east side, but now I have plenty too work with.
   I think by the time I get the Shops finished, I'll have the most Comprehensive collection of Bristol pictures. lol

I may post some of them if anyone's interested let me know and I will.

Dinobabe

My grandparents owned the shop to the right of the Black Swan for 17 years.  It was the Wizard's Chamber and is now a bag toss game (makes me very sad!).  Do you happen to have (or will make) a 3D pic of it, especially if before it was turned into a game? I would be ever so greatful!  Thank you!
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Vartha

Sir DON the Palmist!! Yes I knew them. I worked for 6 six years two shops from the right of Don's place, at Oh Susanna's leather before Susanna and Jean retired for a few years.

YES I will do both Don's place and the Game shop. Do you have any pics of Your Grandfather's Shop? Mine are all too far away.

I DO plan on doing that whole neighborhood since I spent alot of time there.

Heh Back in 1998 I made a video of bristol so that I could DRAW the whole Faire for a mappe in 99. I couldn't finish it in one day as I had to work at Sue's and as I went out the following Morning, Don was coming back from breakfast with food for your grand mother as I was headed that direction. lol

I can and WILL do the shops alittle at a time. I want to also make Mac's Canes and Staffs the WAS the other side of the Black swan. Mac couldn't afford to build a new shop and moved across the street into a shop my Ex-Wife used to work in when Shells of the Realm was there.
  Jean and Sue were friends with Mac, Don, Brudi, that whole little area around the Action Stage.

Dinobabe

I have all kinds of pics, even from when they first bought the shop (it was much smaller then!).  If you are on facebook I have pics there http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/album.php?aid=31383&id=1390225917
These are mainly from the final weekend in 2005.  I have lots of pics of the shop on my laptop.  I made sure to take plenty since we were leaving.   I can send you some good shop shots.  What's the best way?  I really miss the faire!  I'm sure we probably met.  I was probably a little kid, though!  It was always tough to get Grandpa to eat on faire mornings.  He was afraid he would have bad breath!!!

In case you didn't know, Grandpa died in 2007.  He was still doing the KC Faire.  It was very unexpected.  They were slowly cutting out faires as they got older.  They planned on doing KC for a while since it was just 2 hrs from the house.  I had always hoped I could take over from them one day.  I really miss him.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Vartha

I'm Sorry to hear that, Dinobabe!
   2005 was my last season before I moved to North West Arkanasas for a job. Couldn't find one up there after BP layed everyone off at my Store and didn't hire us back after they rebuilt the place.
  Well I'll PM you my e-mail if you didn't want to upload more to Facebook.