News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

"Scary" garb at faire

Started by Nidhoggr, May 13, 2013, 02:00:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidhoggr

Now we all know that most times the garb is somewhat lighthearted, and sometimes very playful. However there are certain times a character requires a bit more darkness/realism to them. What are your opinions of this?

An example being:
My pirate characters garb is Fairly dingy and motley. A brown frock coat, a yellow buccaneer style poet shirt, French style embroidered black and red breeches, leather buckled boots, various jewelry, a red vesr, and a brown captain Kidd hat with lots of feathers stuck in a mermaid hat pin. This on its own didn't fit the concept I created.  So I added some darkness and realism. I am going to be doing rotten teeth makeup, a scar running down my face (over my eye) and possibly a contact that makes that eye look blind. In addition I will have some "voodoo"-ish trinkets on me as well.  This fits the character I myself have created.  However to some this might be frightening amongst more of the non playtrons or children, especially if I do the burnt cork and dirt style of making myself look dirty.

Meagan

I don't think that would be too bad. We have a group that comes to faire as demons with contacts, pointed teeth, realistic horns, and body paint to make them look dirty/darker. They look incredible and I haven't seen anyone the least bit scared of them.  The key is that while they are dressed in a darker character, they are still pleasant and courteous people.

LadyFae

I, personally, don't have an issue with "scary" garb or costumes- I use them as a learning tool for my girls and they know about "Halloween stuff" (as they call it) where some people like to be scared.  Sometimes they play a game where they seek out the scariest looking person or thing they can find.  I also think that scary looking is totally fine when the person is being friendly or personable to the kids.  We have a scary looking troll but he is funny as all get out and makes the kids laugh.  We also have a leather clad dragon type that we don't care for because he just stands around staring at everyone and it is just plain creepy- not funny, not scary.  Fireflicker came to our Fest and she was hugely popular because she is so friendly and personable.  We have some "dirty pirates" with scars that are funny and friendly.  I like to use those situations to tell my girls that you can't judge a book by it's cover.  Some of the best characters are those that some would shy away from based solely on looks.
Now there are SOME parents who's kids are scared of EVERYTHING, even characters in Noble garb, because it is out of their normal comfort zone.  Many of those parents will get mad at everyone and everything that scares their kids but I say too bad, grow a pair or just don't bring the kid into those situation!  GRR!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Nidhoggr

Sounds about right.  So there's a dragon person that just... stares? Weird... THAT is creepy lol.

Sir Ironhead

Quote from: Meagan on May 13, 2013, 07:42:50 AM
I don't think that would be too bad. We have a group that comes to faire as demons with contacts, pointed teeth, realistic horns, and body paint to make them look dirty/darker. They look incredible and I haven't seen anyone the least bit scared of them.  The key is that while they are dressed in a darker character, they are still pleasant and courteous people.

Hello, my name is Mephistopholes, your friendly neighborhood demon from hell, and I was wondering if your soul was for sale and if so how much?  Just to make sure we're on the same sheet of music (actually parchment made from the skin of a child molester) it is your eternal soul we are discussing.   ;D
Debaucheteer
IBRSC #1389
Sandbox Inspector
Iron'n M'Crack
Royal Order of Landsharks #41

Nidhoggr

HAHA! Nice!  Makes me wanna go up to people as a demon and say "Do you have a minute to spare to hear the Word of Beelzebub?"

Queen Bonnie

I enjoy seeing the darker characters at faire.  It is amazing how kind and courteous several ogres, demons and trolls can be!
Wingardium Leviosa!
Tis not the length of the staff- but the magick there in!

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Nidhoggr on May 13, 2013, 08:24:51 PM
HAHA! Nice!  Makes me wanna go up to people as a demon and say "Do you have a minute to spare to hear the Word of Beelzebub?"

LOL! I must remember that line!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Nidhoggr

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on May 15, 2013, 06:44:07 AM

LOL! I must remember that line!

You're welcome lol

scarletnyx

LIKE.

You gotta wear a blue tie and have some sort of white shirt on ( Maybe tattered and bloodied? ) while you're doing it.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

Aderin

Love diversity at faire. When you run into star-wars, I get all  ???

<3 4 kilted stormtrooper!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.