News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

mage/wizard magic tricks?

Started by FusionFountain, May 21, 2013, 01:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FusionFountain

howdy!
so i got hired to be a general character this year and I decided to be a wizard (i have a separate post if anyone would like to help out with my costume ideas ^_^)
basically i have my character and i know basic cards tricks but if anyone knows of any good "wizard-y" tricks i could go with around the general public i would be much obliged

PollyPoPo

Find a local magic club or inquire at a store specializing in magic, entertainment items.

In addition to basic card tricks, there are lots of what would be considered "close-up"magic tricks that you could pick up that would be good for lane type acts.  Pulling a coin from someone's ear, pulling voluminous scarves from a small object, one ball becoming many, etc.  All take practice, of course, to make them believable.

Good luck.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

If you do any card magic, try to not to use modern cards (Bicycle, Aviator, etc) - try to use period looking ones, maybe even Tarot cards.  Many 'off the shelf' magic can be modified easily to give it a more period feel. (I have seen my share of modern day props being used and it just does not work)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Aderin

when I think wizard I think fire. Look into some fir magic tricks because I know if I saw fireballs I'd be given mad tips :)
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

FusionFountain

Quote from: Aderin on May 23, 2013, 10:50:10 AM
when I think wizard I think fire. Look into some fir magic tricks because I know if I saw fireballs I'd be given mad tips :)
This is exactly what I was looking to hear how to do actually :)

Sitara

Flash paper for a quick burst of fire mayhap. Since you had mentioned this is for MNRF, I'd suggest a trip to Twin Cities Costume and Magic in St. Paul. They carry pretty much everything and could likely give you some good ideas.
Beer wenches are the best wenches!

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Flash paper needs an ignition source. There are some small finger pots for flash cotton and will work with paper ( you don't want to use a bic lighter ): ). TC magic will be able to help like Sitara said.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Aderin

Quote from: FusionFountain on May 23, 2013, 11:44:08 AM
Quote from: Aderin on May 23, 2013, 10:50:10 AM
This is exactly what I was looking to hear how to do actually :)

Well Fusion Fountain, I will be expecting you at Carolina's Renaissance Festival this year and lots of fire! I know you wouldn't disappoint a lad who loves fire, would you?  ;D

In jest of course, happy times to you and your wizardry! Hope to see some fire this year none the less!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.