News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whatever happened to, and why are they not here this season?

Started by moose, May 20, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

Why are at least SOME of these fine performers not coming to Sterling this season? Please don't give me the company line "..we want to rotate the acts so they aren't there every year" I'm calling BS on that!  >:(

Where are Barby Holder, London Broil, Wolgemut, Paolo Garbanzo, Zilch the Torysteller, Manolete, Isaac Fawlkes, Zoltan the Adequate, Johnny Fox, Danny Lord of Mischief, Crannog, Celtic Spirits?

This season appears to be very watered-down. I hope it bothers others like it bothers me.

Gary Izzo

Moose:  Every act you have ever seen at Sterling has been booked by me over the last 35 years.  Hand picked, personally negotiated, booked and contracted by me, just for you.  Every act I have ever booked was a favorite of mine, and there is a long list of acts I would dearly love to see performing for us. 

The fact, Moose, is that without rotating acts out every now and then the entire show would wither on the vine.  I either catch hell for removing acts, or catch hell for mounting the same ol' line up.  (You should see last seasons gate surveys)  Whether or not you think it is BS, that is the nature of the entertainment industry and Renaissance Faires in particular.  Send me another $200,000 for my budget, and I will gladly add all the acts you are missing.  (though there would be no stages left for them to perform on)

For as far back as I can remember (and that's far) there has always been about 21 independent acts each season and this year is no different.  New this year is a special Stunt Show featuring Nature of Mercy, our first ever stunt show; we are also adding Churchyard O'Shea, a very funny and course story teller; Rafferty the Piper; and for the last five weekends Walking Tree Man. 

It amazes me how most folks assume that I can get whatever I want, when I want it.  Acts need to be available, affordable, appropriate and right for the show.  Of your list, Sharon of Celtic Spirits is deceased, Danny has health issues, Johnny has not wished to return.  Many of the others I speak with several times a year, it is an on-going process. 

I am sorry you are not happy with the line-up this year.  Many patrons find that they like the new acts I bring in, and since I have brought in all the acts you miss at one point as new, then I guess that means even you like some of my new acts.  Producing this show is a balancing act for me, and without unlimited resources (including adequate attendance), one that I can never really win.   

I do know how it is for an audience to revisit and not see the characters that formed a pleasant memory of a summer past, but every year is new, old friends return, and with a little luck and some support from folks like you the Faire will be there next year.  I hope to have some on your list return, and continue dialogues with them. 

I want you to know that I work very closely with our entertainers over many many years, and I assure you that I know what it is to miss them, some of them terribly. 

Merlin the Elder

Gary, most folks just don't really understand how the entertainment industry works. "Why isn't (insert favourite act here) performing this year?" is the most common complaint I see in every faire thread. Oddly enough, my biggest complaint is "why are they still here?" or "they're going to be at that faire, too?"

I have my favourites, and there are some acts that are faire "anchors." That's fine. THOSE performers are generally diverse enough that you never see the same show twice.  But, I find that, for the most part, I want to see new acts each year. Not necessarily ALL new, but I do like the change.

No way to please everyone. No point in trying.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Duchess Marguerite

Tis true...you can not please everyone all of the time.  However, I must say, that having been to numerous faires in the U.S., Sterling is doing an Amazing job with their entertainment!!  One would only know this by visiting other faires.  Our faire in Colorado is a great faire, but unfortunately, for me, the entertainment does not rotate enough and it's easy to get bored with the same old acts year after year.  We actually do not attend faire as many times during the season as we used to because of this.   Although CRF has one great musical group, that's usually about it (however, I think another was added this year..Yay).  When we've had the opportunities to visit Sterling, we were amazed at the variety of entertainment and the large number of musical acts.  I have to say Gary, I believe you're doing a wonderful job with the entertainment and we'd be there every weekend, if it weren't a 1700 mile drive (one way)! I know it's hard for people to attend faire and not see their favorite acts, but when there's no variety in the entertainment each year those acts can lose their appeal after a number of years, which for me, is even worse than not seeing my favorite acts every year. 

Lord Daniel Of Clarence

Izzo's response seems a bit harsh towards a person who unfortunately does not understand the logistics of putting on a show but without whose patronage you would not need a show.

Merlin the Elder

It could be nothing but the frustration of people questioning everything you do, and never being able to satisfy everyone.

The response was blunt for sure. Harsh? Perhaps, but considering the tone of the OP, I'd give Gary the benefit of the doubt. ...and no, I do not know Gary, and I have never even been to Sterling, but this is such a recurring theme (for all faires), I think it needs to be addressed. I HAVE been in the position of hiring and scheduling entertainment, so I have empathy for Gary's situation.

Sir Douglas of Waterbury

Hello all, Just thought I might way in on the subject. I wanted to say that we understand Moose's frustration and feel it as well, but we have limitations on stage availability as well as time and budget constraints to manage. As Gary said we must try to keep things fresh. Most or all of the acts on your wish lists will be back and we will be looking for some new and different as well. Besides all that a couple of years ago we received a lot of concern from our guests who had little or no time to make it from one show to the next let alone time to visit the privy on the way. They talked about arriving late to there next performance choice and missing part or all of other shows and it became very frustrating for all to say the least. This was addressed by slightly modifying show lengths, times and frequency etc. Folks in a nutshell its a balancing act. Gary Izzo is the best in the business and Sterling is fortunate to have him. I do my best to keep the doors open and Gary and his team makes sure its beautiful. The rest of the staff keeps things moving as smoothly as possible in a positive upward direction. This project is by far the shortest operating schedule of all our entertainment operations we operate and at the same time is by far the largest most expensive and hardest production we manage. The Waterbury's absolutely love the business we are in and I can safely say that we are emotionally closest to Sterling and it is or personal favorite by far! We will continue the effort to keep "THE STERLING RENAISSANCE FESTIVAL" the Finest of its kind any were. We want to thank each and every one of you for your continued unwavering support. We never forget that without you we would not exist! We are also glad to listen to you ideas and concerns and will do our best to consider those thoughts as we receive them. In the meantime lets get excited! Less than a month to go!    Sincerely Thank You, Sir Douglas of Waterbury                                                         

irish

Oh my, Gary Izzo harsh? Gary is a really nice man, who will take time to speak with anyone, who may have a question! He has been at Sterling for many years and works so damn hard to get the best entertainment for   the people who come through the gates. Your favorite act may not be available at one time or another, but there is always another great act, to fill that spot, just for you! All I can say is, I have never been disappointed! Come to Sterling, and see what you have been missing!! :)
irish~ren ~
Cruise Director ~
Clan O'Doinn (Sterling) ~
Irish Penny Brigade (New York)

Aderin

Thank you Gary Izzo for explaining the situation clearly and kindly. It is good to know how things work behind the scenes to avoid becoming dissapointed. I am glad to hear good tidings about this years improvements!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Merlin the Elder

The entertainment business is a very complex animal. Both the promoters and the artists have to make difficult choices all the time. Folks on the outside never see that, consequently, they don't understand it, and frequently don't even KNOW about it.

One favourite act at festivals in this area did not return and people have gone batty about it, bad-mouthing management for being money-hungry and worse! They recently played one weekend at one, and from what I was told, with significant personnel changes.  Well, that certainly explains some of their absences to me! I wouldn't want to immediately play festivals after changing out a third of my band!

So, folks, before you go bad mouthing management, it's much more enlightening to wait for all the facts. Your Karma will appreciate it.

Aaroncois

Thank you Gary and Sir Doug for the info. I definitely appreciate all you do to keep this faire running and successful year after year. It wouldn't be summer in CNY without Sterling and the wonderful shows you work so hard to put together.

Aderin

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 16, 2013, 06:45:41 AM
The entertainment business is a very complex animal. Both the promoters and the artists have to make difficult choices all the time. Folks on the outside never see that, consequently, they don't understand it, and frequently don't even KNOW about it.

One favourite act at festivals in this area did not return and people have gone batty about it, bad-mouthing management for being money-hungry and worse! They recently played one weekend at one, and from what I was told, with significant personnel changes.  Well, that certainly explains some of their absences to me! I wouldn't want to immediately play festivals after changing out a third of my band!

So, folks, before you go bad mouthing management, it's much more enlightening to wait for all the facts. Your Karma will appreciate it.
[/quote

Ahh.. I appreciate the wisdom of wizards!

Tazjia Swiftsail

I understand but am still highly disappointed that Zilch will not be there. HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY disappointed. He is my favorite act under the sun and I missed last season because I was stuck in the hospital with leukemia.  :'( I truly hope you get him back next year as I have been to every show of his the last two seasons I was there.  :'(
Tazjia Swiftsail at your service!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~

Aderin

Tazjia Swiftsail

Tazjia Swiftsail at your service!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~