News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Whatever happened to, and why are they not here this season?

Started by moose, May 20, 2013, 03:06:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on June 16, 2013, 06:45:41 AM
The entertainment business is a very complex animal. Both the promoters and the artists have to make difficult choices all the time. Folks on the outside never see that, consequently, they don't understand it, and frequently don't even KNOW about it.

One favorite act at festivals in this area did not return and people have gone batty about it, bad-mouthing management for being money-hungry and worse! They recently played one weekend at one, and from what I was told, with significant personnel changes.  Well, that certainly explains some of their absences to me! I wouldn't want to immediately play festivals after changing out a third of my band!

Part of the issue is that the lions share of the entertainment budget (at least for the smaller festivals) goes to the one attraction that nearly all the mundanes are there to see-The Joust.  Headliners get paid first.  What is left has to be creatively divided between the stage acts and street performers, so unless you're a mega-fair you aren't going to pay very well.  Unforeseen circumstances, such as an increase in lodging costs or other expenses can also make the difference between having an act there or not. 
  From the audience POV, they may love a particular act-but if that act gets an offer from a bigger fair at the same dates as yours is running, it makes sense from a business angle for them to take the better paying job and get more exposure at the same time.   If they are offered a better contract elsewhere, they take it, leaving the disappointed fans to blame the management. They will announce 'the contract was not renewed', but in reality they were probably offered the usual contract, but they didn't take it. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

It's just not something that the average faire patron has experience with. Sometimes, as you said, better contracts are offered, and there are a LOT of faires in this country.  By the same token, you can get an act for maybe one weekend that is just passing through from one faire to another, and get an amazing bargain.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Tazjia Swiftsail

Last year as I said, I missed, is there any chance we'll ever see the girl with the rat circus again?? I have pet rats and would have LOVED to see that!!!!  ;D
Tazjia Swiftsail at your service!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~

Lady Amy of York

Sterling has added new shows  this year. And Sterling  has a few new themes for each weekend  this year. should be a fun  season.
Lady Amy of York/CaptainAmy of FeistyLady pirateship
Cheiftess Feisty of Clan O' Doinn
HF:Sterling

Tazjia Swiftsail

I know I'm looking forward to it! Missing last year was a unique sort of torture!!
Me: ~renaissance festival addict|animal lover extraordinaire|nature lover|landlocked Pirate Queen|ink addict~

Ozium

I just asked Melissa if she was comming back with the rats this year, nut here is her webpage.

http://www.melissaarleth.com/
Home Faire:Sterling
Clan O'Doinn-Irish Penny Brigade (New York)
Carpenter of the good ship Medusa.
Foktop Knight
Clan Vogdis

Tazjia Swiftsail