News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The Time Traveller's Guide to Elizabethan England by Ian Mortimer

Started by Irma, June 11, 2013, 12:34:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irma

I just acquired the audio version of this book; it contains 16 discs.  My daily commute is an hour, each way.  Audio books are a welcome alternative to radio.  I am only up to disc 8.  So far, discs 6-8 give a lot of information about clothing, accessories, hairstyles, hats, makeup.  The Amazon listing is  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_14/190-5878810-8384827?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=time%20traveller's%20guide%20to%20elizabethan%20england&sprefix=time+traveller%2Caps%2C222.  It is also available in hardback.  Perhaps this would be of interest to other forum members.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Thanks - we listen to the medieval one, did not know of this one, now we do.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Orphena

Irma - I believe I have seen that book - in paper copy at my library. Is the Audio entertaining? I don't mind reading / listening to text book style learning, but m'lord needs a gentler method of acquiring information!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Irma

It is enlightening and entertaining.  The text is not fussy or too scholarly, and does have frequent light moments.  The narrator speaks with a British accent.  When he quotes characters from historical works, he will change his voice to suit the character.  And I think I benefit from hearing the terms spoken and defined, rather than puzzling over an unfamiliar written word.

Orphena

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

The Lady Mercedes

I have the hardcover & love it! Also if you can find a way to see them, on the BBC IPlayer, there are two episodes up of this book done as a documentary...I've seen them and they are pretty good as well! In fact, they've been having what they've called The Tudor Court Season. Check out the info here.
Why be mundane when you can be a Rennie?!

Aderin

Quote from: Irma VonDerRosen on June 11, 2013, 12:34:16 PM
I just acquired the audio version of this book; it contains 16 discs.  My daily commute is an hour, each way.  Audio books are a welcome alternative to radio.  I am only up to disc 8.  So far, discs 6-8 give a lot of information about clothing, accessories, hairstyles, hats, makeup.  The Amazon listing is  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_6_14/190-5878810-8384827?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=time%20traveller's%20guide%20to%20elizabethan%20england&sprefix=time+traveller%2Caps%2C222.  It is also available in hardback.  Perhaps this would be of interest to other forum members.

Appreciate the info! i better get a copy, soon.
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

This is now available from Audible (others too, I imagine).

Downloaded and listened to it on our trip yesterday.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell