News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Planning a Visit

Started by Orphena, May 27, 2013, 10:43:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Hello Rennies!

M'lord and I, and another couple, are planning a road trip and hoping to visit your festival this fall. We are aiming for September - I believe your closing weekend - September 21 - 22.

We will be driving over from Ontario, Canada, and hope to be in town for Friday.

I'm hoping you locals can help out - I'm looking for details to make our trip the best it can be! Here is a list of queries I have - but if there is something else we should know, please chime in!

Gates open at 10, but what time do you recommend arriving? I prefer not to park 20 minutes away!

Your faire seems to be quite far away from a lot of major cities - I've been researching hotels, but so far haven't found too many that are closer than 20 minutes away. Any suggestions of places to look?

Any other local attractions that are worth our time to see - say on the Friday? We are coming in from the North East, but our route is a little negotiable if the attraction is worth our while. By attraction - how about something fun - last year we found an indoor waterpark, but a great zoo, etc would also be welcome. We as a group are not as enthused about historic graveyards and such.

Are there any savings opportunities we can take advantage of? Coupons, clubs, buy one get one deals?

And... a personal query - is there mead for sale at your pubs? 

I have been peeking at your website to get a feel for your festival, and may have more questions soon, but let's begin with that!

Thanks so much!

Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Bob of the Lake

Hi Orphena.

Glad to hear you may be visiting our faire this season! Here are some answers to your queries:

*Gates open at 10, but what time do you recommend arriving? I prefer not to park 20 minutes away!*

There is an opening gate show that begins about 10 minutes before opening that cues you into the theme for the day so I'd recommend that you get to the front gate by about 9:45. As to parking, the free parking is, I'm afraid, a 20-minute walk away. There are shuttle buses from the free lot to the gate but it's often a 20 minute wait for the bus so it's not a real time savings over walking. The alternative is the "VIP" parking, which is right across the road from the front gate for $5 per car. 

*Your faire seems to be quite far away from a lot of major cities - I've been researching hotels, but so far haven't found too many that are closer than 20 minutes away. Any suggestions of places to look?*

The faire is somewhat removed from major cities—the most major being NYC, which is 46 miles away, so your research results are pretty accurate. The faire website has a few suggestions for hotels that are probably your best bets. Follow the link for "Lodging Specials" on the home page.

*Any other local attractions that are worth our time to see - say on the Friday? We are coming in from the North East, but our route is a little negotiable if the attraction is worth our while. By attraction - how about something fun - last year we found an indoor waterpark, but a great zoo, etc would also be welcome. We as a group are not as enthused about historic graveyards and such.*

Sorry, I can't help you too much here—I live in New Jersey so I'm not too familiar with attractions near faire. I'll let others who are more knowledgeable pitch in here.

*Are there any savings opportunities we can take advantage of? Coupons, clubs, buy one get one deals?*

Yes. They do have coupons, discounts and specials from time to time but you need to sign up for the email newsletter to be in on them. Just click on the "Coupons & News" link on the home page to sign up.

*And... a personal query - is there mead for sale at your pubs?*
Yes! Mead, beer and wine. The brands and variety vary from year to year and from pub to pub but it is always available.

I hope your plans work out and you'll be able to join us this season. It would be a pleasure to meet you all!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Koshiba

Hi Orphena! I've been wracking my brain trying to think of something interesting around here you guys could do, as I live within an hour northeast of the Faire, to no avail. Then last night on the way home from a visit to the Connecticut RF Spring Festival I saw a billboard for an indoor water park, so if that's a thing you guys are into...I can't tell if it's something you can do separately or if you have to be staying at the resort though. Website, you are unhelpful. =/

Orphena

Thank you both for your replies! I always appreciate the knowledge of the locals!

Bob of the lake - fantastic replies - I think we'll splurge for the parking. Do you know if it fills up quickly? I like being there early, so if we plan to arrive by 9:15, will we get a good spot, or will we be too early?

Koshiba - Thanks for thinking of me! It does look like the type of place you need to stay at, but good find never the less. I did see they had horseback riding as well - but we're not going to be able to shell out for staying there at this time.

Any independant horseback riding places that are decent? It's been a while, but last time we went, we noted that the prices have gotten a little on the atrocious side...$30 or even $40 an hour seems to be a little high.

If there is nothing, we may just have to shop.....  ;D

Bob of the Lake

Orphena, If you're there by 9:15, you'll have no problem getting a good parking spot.

Sorry, I have no info on horseback riding places but considering the area, I can almost guarantee that prices would not be cheap!

Good luck with your plans!  :)
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Jay Byrd

Hi,  There is maybe one motel close to the Faire, 5 minutes away.  I do not know the name of it and last I drove that way it may not have been in operation.  Most of the hotels are 15-20 min away in Jersey on Rte 17.  We live about an hour away in Central Jersey and have stayed at the hotels on 17 so that we were closer in the am.

I saw Bob, (Hey Bob, what's up?), said something about horse back riding.  I've been riding in the area.  It is usually $45-$65/hr depending on where you go.  West Milford, which is very close to Faire has a really nice place that was $45, and they let us run, which if you ride places is rare.

The Bronx Zoo is not too far away and an excellent zoo.  For a real thrill although it would probably take a day is canoing the Delaware.  In NY State they haved some nice white water.  I'll keep thinking about that.

When you come let us know and let's see if we can meet up.

Have fun,

Jay Byrd

Bob of the Lake

The NYRF season has begun and I have a heads-up for Orphena and anyone else who may be planing to use the preferred parking area across from the gate. The price this season has doubled to $10. The free parking is still free but as I mentioned before, it's a pretty good hike to the gate.

(Hey, Jay. Hope to see you in the lanes again this season!)

- Hammy the Squirrel

Orphena

You guys are awesome! Thanks for the ideas and the updates! Will be posting more about this as the date approaches!

Orphena

Well, it looks like it's to be a party of 2, not 4, as previously planned! Hotel is booked, now I'm wondering if there are any local deals to save on tickets? I've seen that some Walgreens started the season with discount tickets, but I've no clue if they still have them. I'd hoped there were 2 day passes, or a deal of some kind online... Thanks!

Bob of the Lake

Orphena, Which weekend are you visiting? If it's Sept. 14/15, then you can find a discount coupon here: http://www.renfair.com/ny/tickets/nyrf_colorcoupon_200off.jpg. Unfortunately, NYRF doesn't offer a 2-day pass so you'll just have to buy tickets each day. Also, as far as I know, there are currently no off-site deals going (like Walgreens, etc.).
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Orphena

Bob...we will be there closing weekend...

elthefairy

Bob of the Lake

I'll be there closing weekend as well. I hope I will run into the two of you!
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Orphena

Well, we're in town, looking forward to finding the faire, and enjoying all we can cram into 2 days! For those looking for us, I'min my gold gown, while m'lord will be in blue, green or brown. We are both quite tall, and both in nobles, and we both wear RF pins, so stop us if you see us in the shire! Looking forward to playing!

elthefairy

Hey Orphena, I think I ran into you and complimented you on your gown. I was in the pink fairy garb.