News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Who are Musicians here?

Started by Aderin, May 27, 2013, 08:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aderin

Quote from: uncletimcobleigh on May 31, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
At faire, as The Minstrel Teig, I mostly play fiddle and octave mandolin, but I've been seen playing things like pipe & tabor, dulcimer, guitar, bodhran, whistle, and recorder. I'm slowly building a bowed psaltery, so I guess I'll have to learn that, as well. Outside of faire, I also like to play clawhammer banjo.

Impressive! So glad to see someone who enjoys such interesting instruments :D
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Lady Nicolette

You know this already, but for the record, I play the harp.  I fell out of practice for a couple of years due to business, moving and other life concerns, but am getting back my chops bit by bit.  I have a long history of being involved with period and decidedly non-period music in several other capacities throughout my lifetime, including every kind of music from World and Middle Eastern (no, I was not a dancer), to psychedelic and progressive rock and acoustic singer/songwriters.

A few of my favourite Faire performers on the circuit are/were Owen Phyfe, Craig of Farrington, Cantiga, Circamon, E Muzeki, Joseph Pusey and Empty Hats.  Ancient days of Faire's musical and/or dance performers I've loved included the fabulous Pitu Guli, Sirocco, and Tony Selvage and Carole the Harper (the first harpist I saw and heard), Chris Caswell and the wonderful Hahbi Ru with the sadly departed and incomparable John Compton.

I have a beautiful Dusty Strings 36-string stave-backed harp, made of curly maple and bubinga wood, that I hope to do justice to by continuing to advance in my learning and playing. 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Lady L

I took piano lessons from 2nd grade to 12th grade. Then, when I left home, I didn't have a piano, got married, didn't have room for a piano. Finally, 35 years later, my husband bought me an electric piano keyboard, for my birthday. Took me a while to get back into it, but I really love it. Then, I taught both my granddaughters to read music and play keyboard, too.  :)
Former Shop Owner at MNRF

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on May 31, 2013, 10:22:21 PM
You know this already, but for the record, I play the harp.  I fell out of practice for a couple of years due to business, moving and other life concerns, but am getting back my chops bit by bit.  I have a long history of being involved with period and decidedly non-period music in several other capacities throughout my lifetime, including every kind of music from World and Middle Eastern (no, I was not a dancer), to psychedelic and progressive rock and acoustic singer/songwriters.

A few of my favourite Faire performers on the circuit are/were Owen Phyfe, Craig of Farrington, Cantiga, Circamon, E Muzeki, Joseph Pusey and Empty Hats.  Ancient days of Faire's musical and/or dance performers I've loved included the fabulous Pitu Guli, Sirocco, and Tony Selvage and Carole the Harper (the first harpist I saw and heard), Chris Caswell and the wonderful Hahbi Ru with the sadly departed and incomparable John Compton.

I have a beautiful Dusty Strings 36-string stave-backed harp, made of curly maple and bubinga wood, that I hope to do justice to by continuing to advance in my learning and playing.

Ahh! How splendidly exciting!! You are rested and ready to start anew! Nothing more exciting than picking something lovely back up again. I am avid to hear of the good news that is surely coming :) Your harp sounds beautiful and I'm sure it is.

I saw Owen Phyfe in your list, what a lovely soul. Bless what he did for our ears and many ears to come.

E-Muzeki! What a lovely band. Just making sure you are aware they parted ways and formed two seperate bands. The lovely Circa Paleo, headed by Jenny who ravishes the violin, and Wine and Alchemy, where the guitarist from E-Muzeki electrifies the fret board of various lutes and guitars from around the world.

Blessings to you!!

Aderin

Quote from: Lady L on June 01, 2013, 12:31:00 AM
I took piano lessons from 2nd grade to 12th grade. Then, when I left home, I didn't have a piano, got married, didn't have room for a piano. Finally, 35 years later, my husband bought me an electric piano keyboard, for my birthday. Took me a while to get back into it, but I really love it. Then, I taught both my granddaughters to read music and play keyboard, too.  :)

Lady L, this is most wonderful news!! The piano is so soothing to me during times of storm and strife. Your granddaughters are most fortunate and you are most venerable for teaching them a beautiful skill/instrument :-)

Lady Nicolette

Ah yes, I was aware of the demise of the original E Muzeki.  However, that was a wonderful combination of talents.  I also forgot to mention MOM (Minstrels of Mayhem), how could I forget MOM?   :)

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I play around with a variety of instruments (played trumpet and other brass instruments for a number of years), including guitar ,mandolin, bowed psaltry, drums, flute and digerydoo.  Just recently purchases a chanter and practice goose to learn a little piping.  I see why they call it a goose, 'cause in the words of Leo Koettke, it sounds kinda like geese farts on a muggy day.  The dogs really love it too  :P
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 03, 2013, 08:25:39 AM
Ah yes, I was aware of the demise of the original E Muzeki.  However, that was a wonderful combination of talents.  I also forgot to mention MOM (Minstrels of Mayhem), how could I forget MOM?   :)

Wow, their voices and the guitars blend handsomely! The fast fiddle is also exciting :D

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Mark also departed Wine and Alchemy, although Roxanne kept them going, but I have not heard that iteration on the band.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Nicolette

Sometimes you get those great combinations of musicianship that just work together, I thought the first E Muzeki was the best, although I enjoyed the other configurations as well. 

Welsh Wench

Nothing can touch E Muzeki.

Their last performance at BARF, the last song they ever did there---it was Kashmir and I was touched beyond belief when they dedicated it to me!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Nicolette

And you deserved every note of that dedication!

Aderin

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on June 03, 2013, 11:32:41 AM

Mark also departed Wine and Alchemy, although Roxanne kept them going, but I have not heard that iteration on the band.

Surely you jest good sir! This is grave news for music lovers and mourn I will. Best wishes to all parties concerned.

Aderin

Quote from: Welsh Wench on June 03, 2013, 09:18:54 PM
Nothing can touch E Muzeki.

Their last performance at BARF, the last song they ever did there---it was Kashmir and I was touched beyond belief when they dedicated it to me!

Wise words Welsh Wench. Anyone worthy of such an honor is venerable in my book!

Aderin

Quote from: Lady Nicolette on June 03, 2013, 10:21:40 PM
And you deserved every note of that dedication!

Indeed!!! Kind words from an even kinder Lady!