News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help in Pronunciation, Please

Started by Lady Renee Buchanan, July 05, 2008, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Renee Buchanan

I'm reading the Outlander series.  Jamie refers to his wife Claire as "mo duinne," which I think means "brown haired one" or something like that.

The other name is Sassenach, I think is what the Scots call the English.

Does anyone know how to pronounce these?  Thanks for your help.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Nicolette

You'll love the story, Renee!  Athena turned me on to them a couple of years ago.  I believe that "Sassenach" is pronounced pretty much as it looks, although the ch at the end would have that sort of gutteral sound often heard with that letter combination, as in "loch."  And I think I remember that it is the Scots word for "Outlander."  I'm not sure about "mo duinne," however...Any of the linguists around these parts? 
"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

DonaCatalina

Sassenach
=
saush -a-nock
----------------------------------------------------
mo duinne
=
mow dhune (very soft D)

Or at least that's as close as I can get in writing.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Lady Nicolette

"Into every rain a little life must fall." ~ Tom Rapp~Pearls Before Swine

Julianne

Tipsy Gypsy

It's a great story, isn't it? Such complex and very human characters. Which book are you reading right now?

Drop by www.lallybroch.com when you have time,and visit the linked message boards, too; there are scores of Outlander enthusiasts there :) . As with any internet community they've sort of evolved their own "language", but it doesn't take long to catch on and it's a very friendly group.
"It's just water, officer, I swear. And yeast. And a little honey. How the alcohol got in, I have no idea!"

Lady Renee Buchanan

We went to Bristol on Sunday and got home late, late, late.  Then last night I conked out, so today's the first chance I've had to read this thread.  Thanks to all for the info.  I'm on the third book, Voyager.  I read the first one, as soon as it was done, picked up the second one, finished that, and same evening started #3.  I am only about 50 pages into this one.

Thanks for the pronunciations and also the suggestions to go to the link.  I am really enjoying them and looking forward to reading the rest.  I don't know how many there are, but I heard there are 4 or 5, maybe more.

I'm sure I'll find out by going on the link.  Thanks again, everyone!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Tami MacLeod

I am not sure where some get the meanings for some words here. I am from there and speak Gaelic way better then English, since i didn't learn English till later in life.

So i will try to help.

So i would like to know, where did you find the meaning of sassenach in Gaelic?.. proper spelling is (Sasanach.) ..pronounced SAS-uh-nukh ...There is slang, and English dialects..

Because it refers to a English man, or white man, some say racist meaning, while others its just someone from another country. or gentle man, and gets misused in novels alot. It is from the slang or English dialect .

fluffy tail

I  enjoyed the series so much I reread them to see all the things I missed the first time. But the story and plots are great.

As for pronunciation... I sounded it out or something.
IWG #3371
Royal Wine Taster
Tinker #2
FOKTOP
landshark #38

Robert Phoenix

If you rent out the "Water Horse" the word Sassenach is used in one point of the movie. Just put the dialog on and you will see it and be able to play it back.
Jamie calls Claire mo duinne/mo doonye. It's supposed to mean "my brown one", but DG has told us it's wrong and has made the correction in Voyager,

JeannieMac

I love that Series!  I just finished Drums of Autumn.  I listened to the first 3 - and now read this past one.
Jean :)
from DE