News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

A case of nerves...

Started by Orphena, May 31, 2013, 10:32:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orphena

Ok, so I am lucky enough to be playing a character that I have always admired - Queen Elizabeth 1 - at a small start up faire in about 2 weeks. Every faire I visit, I am always drawn towards the Queen, to see how she interacts, to stand in her sun, etc etc.

Although I am comfortable in my skin when at faire, there are a few unknowns for me at this faire, which are perhaps adding to my nerves.

#1 - this is the first time I am playing Queen, and I have no real support. There is no cast, no court, and only my hubby at my side as a Guardsman. Of the 2 of us, I am the quicker to give a witty reply, etc, so I'm more approaching this as a solo act.  There will be some merchants there who know me the person, and that I am queen, and a few playtrons at least, but I am terribly afraid that people will just see some woman in a fancy dress, and not recognize the character.

#2 - the individual who is running the faire, while they promote all the other acts, has not said anything about having a queen at the faire. Usually, it is a bit of a big thing to have royalty visit, and I'm feeling a little "out in left field" at the moment.

#3 - The days are long - 9:30 - 8pm, and other than a knighting ceremony, interaction with the jousters, there is not much structured for me. That is a lot of wandering the faire. What else can I do to fill my day?

#4 - I've never been at the top of the pecking order before - what do I need to know? How do I address people like bishops, cardinals, etc (assuming there is someone dressed as them!) and what are some of the pitfalls?

Help me out here - please tell me this is not more than I can handle!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

LadyFae

I have no real advise other than this phrase, "Be at your ease." We had a wonderful queen at a couple of Faires (same actress) and she often used that phrase to take the pressure off of herself as well as the others trying to play to her! Smile, be welcoming, take the time to speak with the children- they'll cherish it always. Can you hand out a small token (such as a "gold" coin?) to the children? Also remember- you are the queen, you bow to NO ONE! :) No matter what, have fun!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Aderin

To begin, Congratulations your Highness! Tis quite the honor to be 'Queen' of anything, and quite the award to be queen of a faire, no matter its size!

Alas, I am dismayed for I cannot attend your township. There are far too many leagues between me and thy lands, but I keep my chin up!

As for advice? Be thyself! If you've been chosen to be the queen then a queen you are! Playtrons/Mundanes will not know who you are if there's been no promoting, but do not fade of heart! You must advertise yourself! With a polished crown, royal colors, and an eventual company, many people will enjoy your majesty in the days to come!

Many people dress as kings and queens, so make yourself stand out! :)

Have fun and many blessings to you!

"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.