News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

This will be a weird question:

Started by Lady Dragonfly, June 04, 2013, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Dragonfly

I have a disabled friend who wants to go to Bristol. She can walk, very slowly, and with much effort, with a cane. She would like to be in a wheelchair to tool around the faire, though; I know I can rent a manual wheelchair. I know the terrain at Bristol is rough...dirt, grass, gravel, rocks and tree roots, sometimes even if you stay on the dirt "streets" it's not exactly easy going. I don't have the sort of strength to push her around in the chair, so I was wondering if I could...er...rent a strong gentleperson for the day? I am willing to pay rather well (you can e-mail me at the address below & I'll tell you how much).
Any takers? (Hope this post is OK; if not, please don't hesitate to take it down!)

On a related note: would my husband be able to drop us off near the front gate before parking? The less she has to walk, the better!

Thank you, kind Ladies and Gentlemen!
The Dragonfly Stitches

Lady Renee Buchanan

Does she have a handicapped parking permit?  There is handicapped parking right at the front gate.  If she doesn't have one, when you are pulling in, tell the people directing traffic that you have a passenger that needs to be dropped off at the gate, and they will let you through to drop her off.  Same thing at the end of the night.  There is a stage that she can sit on while you go to get the car and bring it to the gate if you can't park in the handicapped area

Not sure about a sturdy person to push the wheelchair, though.  I have seen people with motorized scooters there getting around fine.  Any possibility of renting one of those?
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Dragonfly

According to the official website, the only chairs for rental are the manual ones. Since we have a small Ford Focus, we really don't have the room for a motorized chair...heck, I'm only 5'3" and can barely fit in the backseat! lol

I was planning on having the hubby drop her and myself at the stage in front of the gates; what I don't recall is if he can then go and park or if he has to go out and come back in again (a real pain if we're coming on opening weekend!).

I think I will try to contact the faire directly, and see what's the what.

As ever, thank you so much, Lady Renee!
The Dragonfly Stitches

Lady Renee Buchanan

At the entrance, you pay the parking fee.  Then he can drive you to the entrance, and he will be directed on where to park from there, once he's let you off.  He doesn't have to go out of the lot and then come back in.

What weekend are you going?  Some of our friends have teenagers who may be interested in earning some money.  I'd be happy to ask, if you let me know.  I'll check to see if they will be there.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Lady Dragonfly

OMG...you are the sweetest thing!!

I need to ask my friend, which I'll do today, but I'm planning on the second weekend (opening weekend may see myself & the hubby, but I think it might be too crowded for her). She's a small-ish woman, but when you're pushing a person in a wheelchair, that's pretty much "dead" weight, and we both know how rough the terrain is at Bristol.
I realized after I posted last time, I forgot my e-mail address (duh!):   ea.kowols@comcast.net    so if you want to continue this via e-mail, that's cool!

Again, thank you so much for the info!
The Dragonfly Stitches