News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I am absolutely stoked and nervous

Started by Nidhoggr, June 11, 2013, 03:15:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nidhoggr

A bit of back story: I have been going to my local faire for about 6 years now.  The faire has been open about 8 years if I recall correctly.  I have gone enough times that now I have reached playtron status to such a point that the vast majority of cast know me by name and many have become out-of-faire friends.  I have also become friends with a co-owner of the faire.

I have been working on opening a small Meadery and found out late last year that the faire would most likely carry my mead.   Still an in-progress thing but still stoked.

But I digress, for that is not why I am excited.

Well the other day at faire I mentioned to one of the owners that a very close friend of mine do magic tricks and tend to specialize in the adult themed tricks (swallowing a signed quarter, cutting open my arm and having the signed quarter come out and things of that nature).  We are both big fans of the Renaissance Faire we attend.  I mentioned we had been tossing around the idea of forming an act to do shows out and about and even contemplated doing it at the faire.  Sight unseen she tells us "We need more shows in the adult pub as it's mostly music.  I'll talk to (the other owner) and let him know you wanna do it for tips. Want to do it next week?"  Unfortunately, as I told her, there has been no real "act" formed yet and it's all on the fly tricks for giggles.

A big part of this is me wanting opinions for what you'd want an act to be.  This is your chance to not only help two new people to the renfaire show world, but to help shape the act it to what you personally would want to see.   What type of tricks, what type of humor, etc.  The act as we have been discussing it for a while is seeming to be becoming an olden days Penn and Teller meets Amazing Jonathan act.  I know simplistic but big payoff tricks and my friend knows extremely intricate tricks.  The talk is thus far that, being an adult show, I would be the "storyteller" of sorts and while he will be playing the "magic man".   

Aderin

Huzzah and Congratulations to you! Both for your mead's success (well done  ;D ) and your possible future act!

The most successful humor that I come across at faire is the adult, naughty kind of humor. The Tortuga Twins use this humor and they are very popular/well-liked. Raunchy/sexually charged jokes.

The most successful kind of 'magic' involves attention getting acts. For example, the jugglers will light things on fire, they will stand on top of buildings and throw things to people below, they will throw swords, etc. The more perceived risk, the greater the audience reward.

Whatever you and thy partner choose to do, I hope you have TONS of fun!

Good luck to you! Well wishes! and I hope to see you in the lanes friend!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.

Nidhoggr

Thank you very much! I have currently begun working on a routine layout and persona buildup for the act.

Aderin

Quote from: Nidhoggr on June 13, 2013, 12:53:58 AM
Thank you very much! I have currently begun working on a routine layout and persona buildup for the act.

Huzzah!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.