News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Tarot decks

Started by Mairte, June 17, 2013, 11:01:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mairte

Just out of curiousity to other readers out there, what decks are your favorites? Two I have really come to like are "Silver Era" and "Favole". Personal preference of course!!

GryffinSong

I don't read professionally, but when I bring a deck to a medieval event I usually bring either Kat Black's Golden Tarot, Old English, or Medieval Cats. I figure they're most likely to feel appropriate to the setting. For home use I currently am loving the Baroque Bohemian Cats, Tarot of the Absurd, and the Mary-el. In case it isn't obvious, I love to have multiple decks around. As an artist I love seeing different interpretations, and I learn so much from each of them.
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

Mairte

Very cool!! I have thought about getting that Baroque Bohemian Cat deck. There is also one called Labrinth I found interesting. Oh and there is also another(name escapes me) that is supposed to have been designed from the Renaissance. Might be appropriate.

Lady Dragonfly

Coming rather late to this thread!  I had the Robin Wood tarot, which was quite lovely, and now have the Steampunk Tarot, which is very cool, and has great art!
The Dragonfly Stitches

Mairte

I think a Steampunk Tarot would be VERY cool! :)

Lady Dragonfly

Mairte, it's done by Barbara Moore, and is available at Barnes & Noble stores...probably is available through amazon.com, as well.
The Dragonfly Stitches

Mairte

Thank you!! I am trying to get a variety of decks actually to use. Depending on circumstances, certain ones seem to work better than others.

GryffinSong

By the way, if you have an ipad, some of these decks are available as apps. For instance, I'm lukewarm on the Barbara Moore Steampunk, so I bought it as an app, which is much cheaper than buying the physical deck. Not the same experience, of course, but in some ways better for personal use. You can see the cards much larger, and on screen they're brighter and easier to see. I have the Prairie Tarot on my ipad and I LOVE it!!! It was only $3.99!!!

Mairte

Wow, they have apps for everything these days!! Who knew?? I appreciate the info and going to try it out. :)

Lady Mikayla of Phoenicia

Does anyone know where I can find a greyhound deck?
"Embrace those who love you and rid yourself of those who bring you down."

GryffinSong

I don't recall ever finding a deck that was all greyhounds. Kat Black's Golden Tarot has several greyhounds and Italian greyhounds in it. Its a collage deck, using renaissance artwork. Here's a few sample cards from her site, and you can see greyhounds in The Moon and the Knight of Coins ...