News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

The doctor is...out of it?

Started by Anthemis, June 19, 2013, 12:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthemis

So, I'll be playing a character at Faire this year, as a playtron. I'll be going in plague doctor garb (of questionable historical accuracy) and would appreciate any input there is to be had.

I've settled on a somewhat eccentric character, riffing a little on the mask's resemblance to one from the comedia del'arte. Long stretches of isolation in quarantine, constant exposure to the sick and dying, enduring multiple fevers and the tendency to smoke whatever comes to hand in absence of tobacco has made for a...skewed worldview. If anyone solicits medical advice, I will do my best at ridiculous things like look up noses, listen to wrists for a pulse, and pull out a sadly empty jar of leeches. I'll speak very little if at all.

Everything else is up in the air: county of origin, name, age--I haven't even decided if the character is male or female! (I'm female, playing a male profession, but in concealing robes... I'm considering running with whatever people assume and hopefully starting an argument.) What else can I look into? What would you expect if you met me in the lanes?

Aderin

This is a wonderful idea! i have no idea what a renaissance doctor would look like1 after some searching, I see your avatar was a doctor's mask during medieval times! too cool!! i would expect to see some vials and jars of cool colored potions and some neat alchemy/apothecary books! As for gender, whatever is more comfortable for you!
"There is always hope." - Aragorn

Life is the School, Love is the Lesson.