News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Taking a big 3 pattern and making it more period in cut

Started by isabelladangelo, July 19, 2013, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isabelladangelo

http://isabelladangelo.blogspot.com/2013/07/how-to-take-commercial-pattern-and-make.html

I made a new tutorial about how to take a typical big 3 pattern and turn it into a reasonable looking 16th C pattern in cut.   Most big 3 patterns have princess seams or darts or both!  In the 16th C, the cut of the bodice was meant to give you an inverted tubular cone on top of a tubular cone look.  The big 3 are cut to modern tastes, not 16th C tastes.  This tutorial is meant to help you get a more period correct look without spending $$$ for a period correct pattern. 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

Well done, Isabella.

The Basics on redrafting patterns to look more Period from the Big 3 is good for a lot of the 16th Century patterns that have come out, Doublets included.

I bet that could also apply to some of the Victorian patterns the Big 3 comes out with, though I prefer the ones from TRULY ViCTORIAN to get the lines correct.

Redrafting patterns could also apply to the Early 17th century as well. But when one gets further into the Rococo Period, the lines indeed change. I am rewatching the 1969 BBC series THE FIRST CHURCHILLS and am so enamored in the latter 1600's into the early 1700's for clothing for men and women. It is a Period Costumer's dream series. The attention to detail on everything is marvelous. Even when it comes to HAIR!
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

isabelladangelo

Thanks!   

And thank you for the heads up on the BBC series.  Probably something I should watch when doing all my hand sewing.   ;)