Festival Photography > Faire Photos

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

(1/34) > >>

renfairephotog:
I figured we needed a thread for Photography advice, hints and tips. So post anything that may help others. Anything you wish you knew now that you didn't when you were starting. Or If you have a question post it here and someone may be able to help.

Tip #1 Back up, Back Up, Back up The first thing you should after downloading images off your camera, is to back them up. Before you rename them or look at them back then up off of your main computer, Put them on a CD, extrenal hard drive. flash drive. Just somewhere so you have an copy of your digital Negatives.

renfairephotog:
Tip #2 Multiple Cards The big memory cards are nice but if everything is one card and you lose it, you lose everything. Spread you images around on multiple cards That way you don't lose a whole days work WHEN something happens to a card.  I switch cards during the day either between shows or when I'm changing batteries.

It's quicker to find certain images. If there's a show that you know will be the first photo you want to see. Put in on it's own card. It'll download quicker an After you back it up you can view the pic.

Card break, malfunction or get lost so use multiples.

DeadBishop:
Tip #3  Memory Card Formatting

Continuing with the memory card tips, to keep your memory card free from issues and to get the most life out of it, you should always format your card when done shooting.  Regardless if you fill it up or not, once you are done with a round of shooting, and after downloading the images to your computer....format!  Don't go back into the "view" function of your camera and delete a few pictures here and there to make room for a few more shots.  Use the format function.  Otherwise just using the "delete" option can fragment your card, which will slow down your read/write speeds, not to mention you have the possibility of corrupting the card.  Once that happens, you can't fix the card; it's trash.  Never reuse a memory card that has had a corrupt file.  All you'll do is risk losing future pictures you take on it.

Format regularly, and keep that memory card healthy!

Tim T:
So, are the faster memory cards worth the additional cash?  Prices for all memory has gotten pretty cheap now, but I'm still using my older SD cards(2 gb), and haven't sprung for the new faster cards yet.  Is it really worthwhile?

DeadBishop:

--- Quote from: Tim T on July 06, 2008, 07:05:44 PM ---So, are the faster memory cards worth the additional cash?  Prices for all memory has gotten pretty cheap now, but I'm still using my older SD cards(2 gb), and haven't sprung for the new faster cards yet.  Is it really worthwhile?

--- End quote ---

It depends.  If you have a fairly new camera, they are going to take advantage of the higher speed cards, allowing you to take pictures faster by getting the images written to the card before filling up your camera's internal cache.  Using a new "fast" card in an older camera won't make much, if any, difference in performance, but using an older card in a new camera can actually cripple it's performance.

One other thing to consider, if you see off brand memory cards for ridiculously cheap, often times you get what you pay for.  I have customers coming into my store constantly replacing their 'bargain" cards because they just outright fail after a few uses. Stick with known brands like Sandisk, Lexar, etc.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version