News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

Started by renfairephotog, July 06, 2008, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Awesome!!!  Thank you so much, Skip!  I appreciate that...  :)  I'll have to spend some time going through all that, and the one DBaldock found, as well!!!  I discovered that CS4 actually has a "Merge to HDR" automation (yeah, I haven't had a chance yet to go through all the new features), but it pretty much fails completely to achieve anything near the results of the programs that are written specifically for that, so I'm staying up late every night experimenting still...  Hopefully in a day or two I'll have some free time to check these out!!!  As long as the steps are there I should be able to puzzle out what each adds to the end result, so I can play around with the settings until I get what I'm looking for...

Thanks for all the help, everyone!  I appreciate that you're all so willing to help someone who admittedly isn't even a photographer, just a graphic designer with a curiosity that won't let go until it's satisfied...  You're all pretty amazing!  :)
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

dbaldock

Quote from: DeadBishop on June 29, 2010, 11:55:53 PM
Sounds like you have "hot" pixels.  Generally there is no fix for this, only replacement.  There are work arounds, where either the camera or post production software can map out the bad pixels, but that's not really fixing the problem.  An extended warranty should cover this kind of repair.

I recently called the Mack Extended Warranty folks and talked to one of the Techs.  He said that the symptom I'm seeing is the sensor, and I should send the camera in for repair.  Need to get some good, durable packing materials together and ship it to them - somewhere in New Jersey, I believe.  Hope it's back before too long.
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

KiltedPrivateer

Question: Fisheye Lens - Did a search on the forum but didn't turn up anything so thought I'd pose the question here.

I have a Canon G10 and there is a Fisheye lens attachement available.  What type of photo do you get with a fisheye?  Does anyone have a good examples?  Thanks (o:
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

dbaldock

Quote from: KiltedPrivateer on November 22, 2010, 01:06:23 PM
Question: Fisheye Lens - Did a search on the forum but didn't turn up anything so thought I'd pose the question here.

I have a Canon G10 and there is a Fisheye lens attachement available.  What type of photo do you get with a fisheye?  Does anyone have a good examples?  Thanks (o:

Did a bit of Google Image searching, and found a number of site trying to sell Fisheye lenses for the G10.

One site - FishEye Studio - Canon G10, has some shots that were apparently take with a G10 and Fisheye lens.  Some Fisheyes are Circular, and give a 180° view in the middle of the rectangular frame.  Others are Rectilinear, and give a 180° view across the diagonals of the rectangular frame.

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

KiltedPrivateer

Thanks for the info David - I'll do some searches of my own and see what I can come up with.
Member of Clan Procrastination
Crew of the Procrastinator
Lover of Lady Kitara

renfairephotog

http://camerasim.com/camera-simulator.html

Online SLR Camera Simulator

This SLR camera simulator shows you visually how ISO speed, aperture, shutter speed, and distance affect the outcome of your digital photos. Here's how to use it:

1. Fiddle with the settings; observe the green readings in the viewfinder
   2. Click the "Snap photo!" button
   3. Review your "photo" :)
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Merlin the Elder

That's a pretty cool sim. I'm going to spend some time with that...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

maeven

*Short enough to not reach the pedals, tall enough for the rides at Six Flags!*

I'm splendid. That is all.

AHE 2013 RenNado Survivor

Avidd

renfairephotog

http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2011/08/24/camera-tracker-success-story-of-the-day/

Camera Tracker Success Story of the Day: A tool that searches for stolen cameras using serial numbers in online photos has just helped recover $9000 in stolen Nikon equipment.

Photographer John Heller had his gear — including a Nikon D3 and lenses — stolen while shooting in Hollywood. He looked up his serial number on GadgetTrak Serial Search and found recent photos taken with his camera on Flickr.

Heller got the police involved, and they contacted the camera's new owner via his Facebook profile. It turns out he had bought the camera from the thief and still had a receipt, which the police are now using in the investigation.

The camera was returned to its rightful owner, and LAPD detectives plan to use services like GadgetTrak and Stolen Camera Finder in other cases.
Fairy photographer

Rocky Raccoon

Thank you for posting that link to that camera simulator program.....that is the coolest thing I have seen in a long time and very helpful to a photographer that is starting to explore settings outside the area of "auto" modes on his camera.....
BTW I am thinking of upgrading my camera or at least finding some excellent lenses for it. does anyone have any advice I am currently shooting with a Sony a350 (I have the 18 to 70 lens and an old Minolta 70 - 210 lens that works but...........?????????) I've been looking at the Canon models??????

renfairephotog

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
Use DOFMaster to calculate the depth of field in your photographs.  You'll be able to select the lens and f/stop combination that provides the zone of sharpness you need.  Use it to calculate the hyperfocal distance for landscape photography.

There's an app for it.
Fairy photographer

Elennare

Hello wonderful photography people!  I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with.

My husband has a DSLR camera, some sort of Cannon Rebel.  He would like to get a zoom lens for it, that goes to 120mm.  I am planning to get him one for Christmas, but since I know pretty much nothing about camera hardware, I have no idea what I should be looking for.  Can any of you folks point me in the right direction to find him a good lens?  I can get more details about camera model if that's needed.

Thanks!  :)
My (infrequently updated) costume blog: http://manufactorumbrandis.wordpress.com/

Merlin the Elder

First thing is, if you are planning on buying a non-Canon lens, be sure it uses the Canon EF mount system. In the Canon lineup, there are a number of lenses that will pass through the 120mm point. It depends on whether or not he is looking for wide angle through zoom, or if he's more interested in shooting longer distance. I personally have a 75-300mm zoom on my Rebel, but it would simplify my life when shooting at faire to have something that ranges from below 50mm to about 300mm or so. As it is now, I have to swap lenses too frequently, and it's a pain.

There is much that will affect cost of the lens. If he will be shooting low light, you are looking for a lens with a small f-stop. Generally the smaller the f-stop, the higher the price.

It might help to know what kind of shooting he actually intends on using it for. The more information, the closer the recommendations are going to be from all the camera geniuses out here.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Mandrake Von Sets

Quote from: Elennare on November 21, 2011, 11:57:36 AM
Hello wonderful photography people!  I have a question that I am hoping you can help me with.

My husband has a DSLR camera, some sort of Cannon Rebel.  He would like to get a zoom lens for it, that goes to 120mm.  I am planning to get him one for Christmas, but since I know pretty much nothing about camera hardware, I have no idea what I should be looking for.  Can any of you folks point me in the right direction to find him a good lens?  I can get more details about camera model if that's needed.

Thanks!  :)

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/ef_lens_lineup
Wil