News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

Started by renfairephotog, July 06, 2008, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DT_Masters

Here we are talking about taking pictures of the past and no one is talking about the past!

Ie, that curious subject known as 'film'.

These days, I use a mix, both Rebels, 35mm and DSLR. Common lenses between them. I find the great thing about DSLR is that those pics are out on the net in days, but it takes weeks if not more with 35 mm. But with 35 mm, I have the pic in hand, it is physical when I get it. Further, with my rapid shooting style and sort them out back at base, 35 mm can get me the shot the second I am locked on but not necessarily so with DSLR. Granted, I only started using DSLR at Scarborough.

However, can't knock the clarity of DSLR. I consider this as my best DSLR shot from that day:

I don't shoot and then check what I've shot; I shoot and shoot and shoot. A good thing about DSLR is that one can shoot for a long while before they have to stop. A bad thing of this is that film changes of 35 mm means that one slows down for a while in the heat, seeks shade, to change out film. Without it, one might unconsciously force themselves into an exhaustion situation.

My calculation for how much film I should be carrying is if I was shooting a picture a minute. Calculate that by the number of minutes to the hours open and carry in that much film and more. Never, never buy film at a faire ....... unless you have lots of $$$ and don't care about money. Of course, I don't shoot a picture a minute; often there is a significant lag time and then there are times when I'm shooting several shots a minute ...... but I have come home having shot 20 rolls of film.

My style is generally on the move, using my background of marksmanship, relative motion, and knowledge of dancing to devise where the optimium shooting position will be and then getting there. It may involve shooting on the move, targeting the subject while they move, while I move, and not running into anyone. If need be, I'll go down to kneeling to get a shot. Usually, my biggest consistent problem in shooting is when I bring the camera up to sight, the brim of my hat gets in the way. I tend to use the zoom telephoto and nothing else.

But I am by no means perfect and I am still learning. As I said earlier, I just started on the DSLR; I will eventually figure out how to work better with it.

Melkar

Quote from: renfairephotog on September 20, 2008, 05:49:06 PM
Anyone shooting in Camera RAW? what software do you use?

Yep, I've been shooting in RAW for a couple of years. 

Currently I'm still doing post in Lightroom 1.4 for my production shots.  I've upgraded to Lightroom 2, but am waiting for the first patch-set before converting my production database from Lightroom 1-> Lightroom 2.  [I hope Adobe releases that patch before TRF opens!]
BCNU,
  Melkar

AbleArcher

LightRoom 2 is one of the best applications for sorting, tagging, processing and output for RAW or JPEG.  I really like LR2's RAW converter and it offers quite a bit of leeway even with hi-res JPEGS.  Download a trial at Adobe.

One of my favorite new tools is the local application brush which allows local changes on your image.  So, if you want to lighten the face, you an do that in LR2 instead of going into PS to dodge and burn.  It's great, and it supports dual LCD's.

Give it a try.

SrEstebanLegaspi

I've been shooting RAW (Canon) since '04 and have run the gamut through the RAW processor software milieu. Some notable tools that I still use today are Chris Breeze's Breeze browser when I want to make HDR images from several RAW images. The one primary application though is Lightroom 2. I moved to LR2 after running exclusively with DxO Pro for over a year but the last revision (5.x) of the product is horrible. Heavily based on the .NET framework it could bring my Dual Core 64 bit system with dual SLI video card system to a crawl. It was a dramatic let down from prior versions and while there were some nice changes in work flow there are still HUGE gaps that LR2 addresses with less impact on the system.

Now that I've switched to Lightroom I am also now, converting over to DNG for my long term storage of images moving forward. I've archived working copies of Virtual Machines with earlier RAW tools installed so that I have some relatively future proofed method of getting at older images but hopefully I'll be afforded the opportunity to go back over time and convert them to DNG as well.

A few of Lightroom's abilities that hooked me are:

• In stream IPTC Information Management
  • Extended export to Gallery 2 ability
  • Extended export to Facebook ability
  • Embedded Printing Capabilities
  • Embedded Web Gallery Creation Capability
  • Embedded programability
  • Stronger photo editing tools
Señor Esteban Maniquis y Legaspi
Nosce te ipsum

Clarendon

Quote from: renfairephotog on September 20, 2008, 05:49:06 PM
Anyone shooting in Camera RAW? what software do you use?

I've been shooting RAW for the past year and use Photoshop CS2. Planning on upgrading to CS3 in a couple of months.
Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake.

renfairephotog

CS4 is due out soon. They had an web seminar last week.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

SrEstebanLegaspi

Quote from: renfairephotog on September 29, 2008, 11:08:09 PM
CS4 is due out soon. They had an web seminar last week.

Makes me glad I held off my plans to upgrade until next year.
Nosce te ipsum

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

ADraeger

Hallo Ladies and Gents! My husband and I are trying to line up Christmas presents, and he is considering purchasing me a DSLR.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a reasonably priced camera for a beginner.  ( I have a degree in film and know my way around prosumer videocams, but I have no clue as to what brand/price range/etc to go with for a still.)  Thanks!  :)  - Amber

DeadBishop

Quote from: ADraeger on October 24, 2008, 04:55:52 PM
Hallo Ladies and Gents! My husband and I are trying to line up Christmas presents, and he is considering purchasing me a DSLR.  I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to a reasonably priced camera for a beginner.  ( I have a degree in film and know my way around prosumer videocams, but I have no clue as to what brand/price range/etc to go with for a still.)  Thanks!  :)  - Amber

I'd suggest a Canon or Nikon, as they have the widest range of accessories.  You can get either from anywhere from $500 to about $1500 for their entry lever DSLRs to their mid range models.

R/F.com member since 2003

SrEstebanLegaspi

* Nods  to DB Suggestion *

In the Canon line the Rebel xTI line would suit. Just don't try to shoot in the rain with it unless you get a rain sleeve. Also the EF lenses that are available for it are pretty decent to start with.
Nosce te ipsum

ADraeger

Quote from: SrEstebanLegaspi on October 24, 2008, 09:50:20 PM
* Nods  to DB Suggestion *

In the Canon line the Rebel xTI line would suit. Just don't try to shoot in the rain with it unless you get a rain sleeve. Also the EF lenses that are available for it are pretty decent to start with.

I just had someone suggest that to me yesterday in person.... I shall certainly research them. :)  Thanks DB & Sr for your assistance. :)  - Amber

DeadBishop

I'd actually suggest the Xsi over the Xti.  Newer model for about the same price with better features.

R/F.com member since 2003

renfairephotog

Fairy photographer

Jon Foster

I still use my kit lens for a few things and get some fair shots with it considering what it is. Actually, I shot a series of advertising pictures for a school last month with it. It was the widest lens I have so it worked out perfect to get classroom and gym shots.

Jon.