News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

Started by renfairephotog, July 06, 2008, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeadBishop

Quote from: dbaldock on November 10, 2009, 11:09:21 PM
Quote from: Deadbishop on November 07, 2009, 01:46:46 AM
David, one of the best flash diffusers I've found for universal shooting is the Gary Fong Lightsphere.  Even light dispersal is difficult at really wide angles unless you have supplemental lighting to help, but this diffuser works really well at lighting up wide shots.  It works equally well with or without a low ceiling for bounce flash.  Check out the website to get an idea of what it's capable of.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Do you have, and use, any of the Gary Fong diffusers?  How much faster do your batteries run down when shooting with one?

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on ordering one because of --- 1) Size - 5" diameter x 5" tall is BIG for my camera bag ; --- 2) Cost - they're at least $40, and there are several other brands at around $20 ; --- 3) I'm wondering if I should get one of the smaller 180° diffusers to use when bouncing off the ceiling, and something like a LumiQuest Softbox for shooting "direct", without bouncing?

Take Care,
David Baldock

That's one of the main drawbacks of the Gary Fong diffusers...they're BIG.  But, from the recent use that I had with them, they give great results.

R/F.com member since 2003

DeadBishop

Quote from: SleepyArcher on November 11, 2009, 04:34:00 AM
Hey DB:
Which light kit do you recommend from Ritz. I found 4 of them there today.

Hmm, going to have to be more specific.  I know of at least 12 different light kits that Ritz sells.  Do you have a link for any of them?

SleepyArcher

No they were the ones sitting on the shelves. I will go in this weekend and get the details. dont all Ritz sell the same ones so shouldnt you have the same four at the store you work at??
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

SleepyArcher

Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens

Anyone heard of this one or have one they can give me details. I have a Tamron 28-300 3.5-5.6 that I am not happy with. I have heard really good reviews of it but it is really really expensive.

DeadBishop

Quote from: SleepyArcher on November 25, 2009, 03:32:05 AM
Canon Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM Autofocus Lens

Anyone heard of this one or have one they can give me details. I have a Tamron 28-300 3.5-5.6 that I am not happy with. I have heard really good reviews of it but it is really really expensive.

What specifically don't you like about the Tamron?

The Canon lens will give you about the same results as the Tamron, except with possibly slightly faster autofocus (and the IS, of course).  Most super zooms like these give good results on the 28mm end and the 300mm end, but the results from any of the focal length in between are mediocre.  Definitely not horrible, but you won't see a professional using one.  The trade off for packing all that glass into one lens is the image quality and focus speed.  These type of lenses are designed to be an all-in-one lens for people that don't want to invest in multiple lenses or as a travel lens so you can pack less gear with you. 

SleepyArcher

out of focus or blurry images even with a tripod. I think the warenty through ritz may still be in affect and I may take it in if I can find the paperwork. I just think using canon lenses are better then off brand ones.

DeadBishop

Quote from: SleepyArcher on November 26, 2009, 06:42:42 AM
out of focus or blurry images even with a tripod. I think the warenty through ritz may still be in affect and I may take it in if I can find the paperwork. I just think using canon lenses are better then off brand ones.

Do you have any example images that show the blurriness?  I might be able to clue in as to the exact issue if I can see a few pics.

Tygrkat

Hopefully this is the appropriate place for this question, if not, feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread ~ Does anyone know if  there a way to retreive photos lost when moving from Source to Albums in iPhoto? We just lost years of important pictures ( and photos from Faire As well!) . Any advice will Be greatly appreciated!! Grammercy!  
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

bmgjarvis

Quote from: Tygrkat on December 06, 2009, 01:23:58 AM
Hopefully this is the appropriate place for this question, if not, feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread ~ Does anyone know if  there a way to retreive photos lost when moving from Source to Albums in iPhoto? We just lost years of important pictures ( and photos from Faire As well!) . Any advice will Be greatly appreciated!! Grammercy! 

It's possible that you broke the link to the pictures in iphoto, but not actually lost the picts. Go to yourusername/pictures/iphoto and see if any of your photos are there. Look for the jpg extension. You may have to mine through several layers of folders as iPhoto tends to organize by nesting folders within folders within folders.

Good Luck!

Tygrkat

Quote from: bmgjarvis on December 06, 2009, 12:49:03 PM
Quote from: Tygrkat on December 06, 2009, 01:23:58 AM
Hopefully this is the appropriate place for this question, if not, feel free to move it to a more appropriate thread ~ Does anyone know if  there a way to retreive photos lost when moving from Source to Albums in iPhoto? We just lost years of important pictures ( and photos from Faire As well!) . Any advice will Be greatly appreciated!! Grammercy!  

It's possible that you broke the link to the pictures in iphoto, but not actually lost the picts. Go to yourusername/pictures/iphoto and see if any of your photos are there. Look for the jpg extension. You may have to mine through several layers of folders as iPhoto tends to organize by nesting folders within folders within folders.

Good Luck!

Thank You, Bmgjarvis! I'll pass that on to my husband (he's the main photo-wrangler in our household) and hopefully he'll be able to retrieve them. We had some photos saved on Photobucket, but the bulk of them have disappeared.

Moral of the story...back up your work  :P

*Keeping my fingers crossed that this works*

Tygrkat

renfairephotog

You're quite welcome.

bmgjarvis aka Mrs. renfairephotog
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Francisco Paula

I just had a friend take her camera in and they said it needed cleaned out. Since this camera and lenses was originaly mine and i know only like 2 years old i was wondering how often should you have your equipment cleaned out, and if it can be done by ones self or a way to make sure your equipment get gunged up?

thank you very much.

SleepyArcher

I downloaded some photos to Iphoto and then imported them into Aperture and PS Elements and worked on them and them put them back in Iphoto but now when I go look at the picture I get a big grey and black eclamation point. I try to export the photos and it say the folder is empty. I can see all the pics in thumbnail but nothing else. I have gone through all the thumbnails and clicked on the revert to put them back to the original pic butit doeant do anything. Is there anyway I can get them back or get them to the original file so my computer can read them?

renfairephotog

Don't be this guy.
Candid Camera, Candid Answer
Camera Store | England, UK

Me: "Hello there, can I help you?"

Customer: "I'd like some batteries for my camera."

Me: "Okay, what does it take?"

Customer: "Pictures."

http://notalwaysright.com/
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer