News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Photography Advice and Tips Thread.

Started by renfairephotog, July 06, 2008, 05:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renfairephotog

Thanks to Photo JoJo for another great tip.
How to summon a lost camera.

Andrew McDonald's blog
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Aelynn of Georgina

Quote from: renfairephotog on January 08, 2010, 01:35:46 AM

Don't be this guy.
Candid Camera, Candid Answer
Camera Store | England, UK
Me: "Hello there, can I help you?"
Customer: "I'd like some batteries for my camera."
Me: "Okay, what does it take?"
Customer: "Pictures."

That is pretty hilarious! Thanks for the chuckle!

Being an aspiring photographer, faire would be a great place to practice my skills.  I am new to attending faires though and I am wondering how to incorporate my DSLR with my garb?  Or should I just leave the garb at home when I am there to take photos? How does everyone else carry their camera around at faire? It would be simple if I were using a little point-and-shoot that I could put in my purse or slip inside a pocket, but I just can't imagine walking around wearing my gown and carrying my camera equipment.  Should I try to be inconspicuous with my photo taking or do I just openly set up my tripod and start shooting?  Perhaps I should think about some new grab?  Something that makes me look more like a traveller, so I can carry a travel pack and walking stick (tripod)?

I look forward to everyone's response.
Aelynn

DeadBishop

As far as trying to incorporate your DSLR into your garb, that has been a topic of discussion many times here.  Unless your garb is 100% HA and you want to keep it that way, don't worry about it.  A select few have come up with clever disguises for their equipment, but I'd say 99% of photographers who wear garb just carry the camera without trying to "incorporate" it.  Being inconspicuous is the next best thing while carrying a camera while in garb.  That's what I do.

R/F.com member since 2003

SleepyArcher

Quote from: Deadbishop on January 18, 2010, 12:57:37 PM
As far as trying to incorporate your DSLR into your garb, that has been a topic of discussion many times here.  Unless your garb is 100% HA and you want to keep it that way, don't worry about it.  A select few have come up with clever disguises for their equipment, but I'd say 99% of photographers who wear garb just carry the camera without trying to "incorporate" it.  Being inconspicuous is the next best thing while carrying a camera while in garb.  That's what I do.

...and he is GOOD at it...
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

DeadBishop

R/F.com member since 2003

photomike

Greetings,
             I don't try to hide the camera.

I will tell those that ask about it that a wizard made me a "pixie prison" filled with pixies that paint very fast when I ring a bell (shutter button)  of whatever they see out the window (lens).

*links and URLs not allowed in signature* - Admin

renfairephotog

I use a large leather pouch but the camera outside it more than it is in it. I also have a walking stick monopod.
Twenty seasons of covering renaissance  festivals. Photos/calendar/blog.
Fairy photographer

Manwariel

Any tips on getting good shots of the joust?

SleepyArcher

Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Malcolm

Quote from: Manwariel on January 23, 2010, 08:48:39 AM
Any tips on getting good shots of the joust?
Pre-plan your shots. Pick a place to stand before it starts. Wait for the action to come in frame. Click when you hear a loud noise. ;)

Works for most kinds of action shots.
YOS,
Malcolm Abernethy
Knight Commander, Order of the Blue Ribbon
IBRSC #1272
1608 Society
"Be the best you can be... considering."

dbaldock

This is a Nikon-specific question:

Do you know if there's any software (Linux or M$ WinXP) that can write unmodified Nikon D90 images back to the SD Memory card so that they can be viewed on the camera's display screen?

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

BamaWoodsman

Dbaldock,

Are you shooting in NEF or JPG?  If NEF, the camera actually displays a jpg that is imbedded in the NEF file when the picture is initially writtent to the card. As long as you don't modify the NEF structure the jpg preview will still exist. 

The key to putting images back on the SD card is identifying the folder structure where your camera is looking for the image files. Once you ID that folder its as simple as saving to that location or copy/paste into that location. 

Adam

Finnian

I had thought of making a bag to go with my garb and carry my camera, but then I remembered that with my garb on I have no fingers, and therefore probably won't be carrying a camera much anyways. XD

Anna Iram

Aelynn, on the rare occassion that I bring out my SLR instead of my small pocket digital, I carry it in a basket:

Plenty of room for the big lense and film...*sigh* yes I'm still stuck in filmland when it comes to my Rebel...and pretty easy to get to. I keep it wrapped in a cloth to keep out the dust and I carry a plastic bag to wrap the whole thing in in case of rain.

Finnian

Quote from: Anna Iram on January 27, 2010, 11:17:40 AM
Aelynn, on the rare occassion that I bring out my SLR instead of my small pocket digital, I carry it in a basket:

Plenty of room for the big lense and film...*sigh* yes I'm still stuck in filmland when it comes to my Rebel...and pretty easy to get to. I keep it wrapped in a cloth to keep out the dust and I carry a plastic bag to wrap the whole thing in in case of rain.

I had thought of a basket recently...that is actually a really good idea....I was trying to think of something kinda large-ish (aka bigger then a belt pouch) that I could carry various things in, since working things without fingers is a pain in the butt. XD A basket would be much sturdier then me making a bag....hmmm now to go find a green basket I can add faerie stuff to!