News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Period Books

Started by Prima, July 07, 2013, 05:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prima

So I have come up with an idea to disguise my cell phone in a way that I can look at it in public at faires.  It will be housed in a small book that I will carry on my person.  My question for you knowledgeable people is this:  What type of book would a person of lesser or higher nobility carry with them in the renaissance times?  A bible?  A book of poems?  A book of psalms? 
  Many thanks for your help :)
"I aim to misbehave" ~Malcolm Reynolds

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I have an iPhone case called a "book book" which looks like an old book. You can search on the web to See what it looks like.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Rowan MacD

You can also look through the thrift stores for a hard back book a little larger than your phone.
   Cut out a cavity for it in the pages, then cover the binding with velvet cloth or leather using a glue gun.
   Make sure you have a strap or latch sewn to the cover to hold the 'book' closed so you don't lose your phone, and include a loop to hang it from your belt if you don't want to keep it in your pouch or pocket.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Prima

Rowen... that's what i've done!  I'm currently figuring out a way to close it because I forgot to incorporate it into the leather cover!  I'm leaning to making look like a book of psalms, but i'd rather make it a book of poems if that's period.

Rowan MacD

Speaking of.....I was at Micheal's yesterday getting felt for a hat.
  Wouldn't you know-They had an end cap display of those fake books used for decoration, and are actually keepsake boxes :o.
   They were all about the size of one of those pocket bibles, and they were on sale for $6.78. ea.
  Other than adding a strap, they would also make do for what you need.   The cover lifts to expose the cavity, just a bit bigger than a smart phone.  They are a bit stiffer than a hardcover book, and have enough room inside for a few other items as long as they are flat, like receipts and folded up faire programs. I wouldn't use it to carry credit cards in case there is a gap somewhere.

That said: I think the book that you re-purposed from the thrift store will look more realistic, if for no other reason than it is areal book, and you put work in to making it into a convincing prop.  It will probably be more durable too.
   I like the idea of making it look like a book of hours (prayers).   Those were beautiful little books carried everywhere by nobles, and were nearly always on their person somewhere.
    Some folks have made covers for faire, so that paperback books look like one.   

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Bogie

We are about 80% completed with her book.  Work on it a bit then need to glue something, and let it set over night is making it take longer than expected.  I think she just needs to buckle down and do the final bit of gluing.  Once that's done she just needs to decorate it. 

I'll sneak a few pics and post a few.  I think it looks great (Way better than mine)

Bogie

In the first picture, you get a little glimpse of my book.

We also did two larger books to put our Kindles into:

Prima did the left one, it is essentially a paper bag. The right one we found at hobby lobby and is perfect. I haven't cut the pages out to fit in the kindles yet, so I didn't take an inside picture.

Prima

Here are my finished pieces.  Bogie's are still in progress.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell