News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Oh no... ADS!!!

Started by Tom, July 07, 2013, 10:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Hello friends,

As you may have noticed ads have been added to the forum. This has been done to help defray the cost of operating the forum and was done only after serious consideration and discussion. You may notice the ads changing location while we try to determine the best placement. We certainly hope that this does not lessen anyone's enjoyment of the forums! Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

Merlin the Elder

My first question would be, how much would you have to raise from the membership to NOT have the ads?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rowan MacD

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 08, 2013, 05:46:13 AM
My first question would be, how much would you have to raise from the membership to NOT have the ads?
Perhaps you could charge a small fee to allow merchants to post here and use banners?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyFae

I don't mind ads if they aren't interfering with using the site. I do NOT like them showing up as an additional post.
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

Tygrkat

Quote from: LadyFae on July 08, 2013, 12:09:19 PM
I don't mind ads if they aren't interfering with using the site. I do NOT like them showing up as an additional post.

Agreed ~ they're easy enough to ignore if they're in a fixed position somewhere outside of the actual forum thread/page/etc., but seeing them in as if it were a member's post just feels wrong to me. Also, agreeing that it would be great to see Ren-Related businesses & artisans represented.
50% Endora, 50% Aunt Clara.

Bonny Pearl

A thought~ Would the faires be interested in advertising here? 
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Rowan MacD

Quote from: LadyFae on July 08, 2013, 12:09:19 PM
Agreed-However, I don't know if that is possible with a forum format. 
    FB has ads located on sidebars, which is preferable, but I doubt forum software will support that.   I've never seen ads other than banners used in signature bars in posts.
   Perhaps the advertisers have some suggestions?  I imagine they have placed them just about everywhere.
   I would not mind having an ad banner attached to my signature bar if it helps the forum if the admin needs permission to go that route.... just brainstorming. 
IWG wench #3139 

Tom

I would rather not get into a the whole donate to stay ad free thing, it smacks a bit of begging to me and I'm not fond of that. With the ad system people are free to ignore the ads or not as they choose.

Ok, I've removed the last post ad and placed one at the bottom of the page instead. I've also added a right side tower ad.

I understand not wanting them to get in the way but conversely if they're not noticed and used they do no good either. The current ad system being used does targeted ads based on the users search history from a certain unnamed but well known search site . So theoretically the ads should be pertinent to the viewer, theoretically.

We are looking at a few options for merchants for advertising and other things but are still working out the details.
Thanks,

Tom

A.K.A. - Lady Serenas husband

DonaCatalina

as long as you don't have pop-ups that have to be continually closed, they don't annoy me.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Merlin the Elder

Quote from: Tom on July 08, 2013, 10:33:32 PM... The current ad system being used does targeted ads based on the users search history from a certain unnamed but well known search site . So theoretically the ads should be pertinent to the viewer, theoretically. ...
heheh... Not sure where the Maybelline ads are coming from. Maybe from another life?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Lady Renee Buchanan

Based on my search history, I do spend a lot of time searching online for men's suits, so the ad at the bottom of the page is very relevant to me --  not.

However, I prefer them on the bottom and the right as opposed to at the end of posts.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

LadyFae

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 09, 2013, 05:43:54 AM
Quote from: Tom on July 08, 2013, 10:33:32 PM... The current ad system being used does targeted ads based on the users search history from a certain unnamed but well known search site . So theoretically the ads should be pertinent to the viewer, theoretically. ...
heheh... Not sure where the Maybelline ads are coming from. Maybe from another life?

Well, Merlin, you DID post in the makeup at Faire thread a while back... :D

Anyway, I like the fixed position that the ads are currently in. Thanks for that!
Amanda  =D

"Do not call for your mother.  Who is it that you think let the demons in to eat you up?"

PollyPoPo

Thank goodness I finally saw this announcement.  I thought my machine had been infected by the adchoices adware and was trying to find it and get rid of it.

Understanding that ads provide a way to keep these forums on-line, okay.

Right now the ads are at top, bottom and right, taking up about 1/3 of my screen.  Add one to the left side and I'll be losing 1/2 my screen. 

Please keep an eye out for people complaining about losing text.  That has happened on a couple other sites I use, with the first 50 lines or so truncating the last 30 characters or so of text, about 1/3 from the right hand margin.  If it's really interesting text, I'll do a copy and paste which will pick up the underlying text.  Otherwise, pppftt. 

If popups appear over the top of postings, then I would have to seriously consider whether to try to read the forums or not.  They slow my machine down to the point where I cannot get under the popups at all. 

Thanks for listening.

Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

EltonJ

Quote from: Bonny Pearl on July 08, 2013, 12:44:55 PM
A thought~ Would the faires be interested in advertising here?

That would make a lot of sense.

Rowan MacD

I can live with this.  As long as the the ads stay to the sides and are somewhat relevant to the forum content, I'm cool. 
  I agree with Polly 110%
   I seriously hate pop ups, I hope I never see them here.  I wouldn't even try to work around them. I get enough 30 second commercials  for Listerine, energy drinks and the local car dealers on FB.
  Thanks.

IWG wench #3139