News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Henry Tudor's Mary Rose revealed

Started by Welsh Wench, June 02, 2013, 01:41:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welsh Wench

More than 30 years after it was raised from the seabed - and almost 500 years since it sank - the secrets of Henry VIII's flagship, the Mary Rose, are being revealed to the public - along with the faces of its crew.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-22639505

Yes, faces of the crew have now been reconstructed--and it is fascinating to see this 'Britain's Pompeii'!
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Lady Renee Buchanan

What always surprised me is that most sailors didn't know how to swim.  When we lived in Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands, about a half mile from Peter is Dead Chest.  Yes, the same Dead Chest as the song. 

It seems that back in the day, some sailors tried to mutiny, but failed.  The captain gained control back, and dumped the 15 men on Dead Chest with only rum.  All of them died because they couldn't swim.

If the had been able to swim that half mile, there were all kinds of coconut palms and wild berries growing on Peter Island.

WW, this article is fascinating.  The next time we go to see Steve's family, I'd love to go there.  Thanks for sharing.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Bob of the Lake

Fascinating--thanks Welsh Wench!

I had the good fortune to visit Portsmouth in the late 80s and was thrilled to have the chance to walk the decks of HMS Victory and visit the then very small Mary Rose museum. Pretty much all that visitors were allowed to see then were some of the recovered and restored artifacts and videos of the raising of the ship. She was in the early preservation process and wasn't viewable by the public yet. Still, it was a great experience and one I will always cherish!
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

DonaCatalina

The Archer looks a lot like Sean Bean.
Thanks for sharing. that is very interesting in a creepy sort of way.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess