News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bubble Wright's Lament

Started by BubbleWright, July 13, 2013, 08:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BubbleWright

My name is Felix and I am a bubble-holic. On July 4th I had a relapse and started to build another Renaissance Bubble Machine. Today I finished the RBM... all it needs is the Amish built wooden cart, which has been ordered for pick-up on July 27th. This new machine has a number of improvements over previous models, and in short, is just plain awesome. I plan to bring this to Faire but will operate it in a manner that is low impact on my well being. If I seem to be overdoing it, please feel free to slap me upside the head. The next three weeks cannot pass by quickly enough. I'm READY for Faire.................. Felix  ;D ;D ;D
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Lady Renee Buchanan

Felix, I am glad you got another bubble machine!  I know how much you enjoy it, and I've heard how both children and adults love seeing you make the bubbles!

Take it slow, please watch your health, and please, please, please -- post pictures from faire!      ;D ;D ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

dbaldock

Sounds like Fun is on the way!

Can you post links to videos of any of your previous Bubble Machines in operation?

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

BubbleWright

Some photos of the new RBM.....

RBM III- 2 by fanegatrac, on Flickr

RBM III- 3 by fanegatrac, on Flickr

Thicker wood was used for the vertical mast and 2" dowels for the legs. A brass tube was placed between the 2 blocks of wood that position the dipping rod over the soap container. The dipping rod slides very smoothly through this. Previously the dipping rod would move up and down through a hole in each block of wood, sometimes hanging up. The round container in the center holds the silver bubble soap container when the RBM is in transit.

David- Video is in process and link will be posted in this thread.....  Felix
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Rowan MacD

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

BubbleWright

Rowen... I was actually debating to top the RBM with a small cast stone gargoyle but the gold painted wood finial won out. So... you actually built your own RBM? Send or post photos please!......  Felix
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Bartholomew Roberts

Felix??  A bubble-holic ??  Never guessed that one !!     - Jay

BubbleWright

Video showing the previous RBM at the PaRenFaire...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28247229@N02/9292225824/#secretd70eb7c826
   Antoine de St. Exupery

arbcoind

Felix,  I hope to see you when I visit PARF on 10/12/13.

Gina

Rowan MacD

Quote from: BubbleWright on July 14, 2013, 11:46:27 AM
Rowen... I was actually debating to top the RBM with a small cast stone gargoyle but the gold painted wood finial won out. So... you actually built your own RBM? Send or post photos please!......  Felix
I would, but I don't have any (that I recall).  The RBM belongs to the faire, but I'm pretty sure that whoever built it has pics.  My contribution was just some antique looking clip top bottles to hold the bubble liquid, since the operator was having to hide the sports bottle he was using.
I just love seeing it in action, and I may just suggest the wind gauge for ours!
IWG wench #3139 

temper

So glad you are doing bubbles again  :)
Temper; what makes a good sword, be sure to keep it.

Bob of the Lake

Felix, you are indeed unstoppable! Glad to hear you are doing bubbles again but as Lady Renee says, please take it easy and get yourself a stool! I'll look for you when I next visit PARF.  :)
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

Rowan MacD

Bob has a good idea.  Can the cart be made with a flip down (or up) stool for the operator?
IWG wench #3139 

BubbleWright

Rowen- I had given some thought to incorporating a folding stool into the design but need to work out the ergonomics of sitting and operating the machine. I generally operate on the system of TLAR (that looks about right) but then need to experiment with placement. I actually thought about building a RBM for five years before I doodled on paper. But occasionally I have Eureka moments. I am a History major by education, not an engineer. I see how things work, frequently coming up with out of the box solutions. Years ago the company I was working for spent 20 Grand to fix a problem (didn't work!).  I designed gizmos that cost total $300 to make which eliminated the problem, getting production and testing back on line. Some see dead people, I see solutions. However, I'm working on it.............  Felix   ;D
   Antoine de St. Exupery