News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Advice for musician?

Started by Melissa the Loud, July 21, 2013, 08:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melissa the Loud

I just posted this on the introduction forum, but here it is again as it's more performer-specific.

Good day. I am Melissa the Loud, hurdy gurdy player. What's a hurdy gurdy? This:
http://www.melissatheloud.com/
Busking in NYC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Oy8FaBirQ
Interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT56auxMT74

I'm a SCAdian, and I made a fine living as a musician, mostly as a busker, in NYC for a few years, but my dear husband just got a job in Atlanta, where I suspect the busking won't be as good. So, I'm planning to audition for the Georgia Renaissance festival, since I want to find a place to play my music, and I've always enjoyed festivals. Any tips on that? I'm reasonably confident that my musical chops are good enough, but other than that I'm a blank slate: no persona, no forsoothly speech, and not particularly interesting garb. How much of that is required of musicians? My preference would be to wear very simple, linen, peasant-ish garb for comfort, and not to distract from the hurdy gurdy, but would something flashier go over better in an audition?

skivee

If your music is rambunctious, then your character might be as well. But if you are chewing the scenery and then playing a gorgious Dowland piece  or an Irish processional on HG, then it could give the patrons whiplash.
Also, IMHO it is a mistake to bombart your audience with a recitation of your family history, how you came to be in the village today.  If you are speaking a run-on sentence, then you are probably being too complex Just give them enough that they know who you are. The other stuff YOU should know, but they might not have to. You might drop other things about your character while inviting interaction with the patrons.
I hope this is useful.
Skivee

Bonny Pearl

I enjoyed watching you play!  If you want people to pay more attention to the instrument and the music it/you can entertain them with then peasant or gypsy garb would be good to start with.  You can always add a bit of faire flair as time goes by and develop your character the same way.  Best of luck to you!
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Merlin the Elder

I am not a historian.  I leave that to my son whose degree was in medieval history.  I should think that the bulk of the musicians of the era would be working-class, so it would seem right to go the peasant look.  That said, and with all due respect, you looked stunning in the belly dancing garb.

I enjoyed your video as well. That is a very cool instrument. I looked them up. Surprised to see that they date back to the 10-11th century.  Best of luck to you!
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Bonny Pearl

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on July 23, 2013, 07:24:30 AM
That said, and with all due respect, you looked stunning in the belly dancing garb.

Stalker!  :P ;D

j/k  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88

Merlin the Elder

Hush, Bonny... I appreciate beauty. I like you don't I?  :-*
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Melissa the Loud

Thanks for the advice (and gratuitous compliments.) If I can get away with wearing fairly simple garb, that's fine by me. Besides, my belly dance fringe might get caught in the hurdy gurdy wheel, and that would be trouble.

I remember seeing something a while ago that some fairs were picky about which colors certain classes of people could wear. Are any colors off-limits? I think I look best in red and purple, but I can imagine those colors might be reserved for royalty or something.

Bonny Pearl

Love ya Merlin!  :-*

Melissa, it may be best to just call the faire, find out who handles musical performers and/or cast, then get the particulars.  At least that way your answers won't be speculation.  I've never heard of musicians being put in the same clothing restriction as cast so I doubt there would be an issue with color.  But, like I said; call the faire person in charge of that and find out.  :)
Gypsy Wanderer
Kingdom of Onondaga
Order of the Hatchet
Landshark No.88