News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Help with Asian Character

Started by Abigail Fairbottom, July 24, 2013, 12:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abigail Fairbottom

Hi All!  I am so excited that opening day of MIRF this year falls on my birthday.  My new bestest buddy from the gym has offered to make my day a special party.  She had no idea I would want to spend it at faire, but she is all for it.  She asked me today about garb and character and I would like to help her.  She is beautiful  Korean woman, who is rather small in stature and large in personality.  Whatever she does, I know she will rock it.  Could anyone out there offer up a few good ideas for a korean/asian woman's personna or storyline?  Thanks!

DonaCatalina

I don't know much about Asian/Korean clothing in the middle ages or renaissance; but I suspect it is the basis for much of the traditional or ceremonial garb today. As for a storyline, the Portuguese sailed around the world. She could have been brought back aboard a Portuguese merchant ship as a wife or just as a adventuresome noblewoman.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Abigail Fairbottom

Thanks so much for the ideas, DonaCatalina!  I passed them along to her.  She is so much fun, it will be really interesting to see what she comes up with. 

EltonJ

Perhaps a place to start for garbing is the Hanbok.  Here's the wikipedia entry on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanbok

The portuguese did pretty much sail everywhere, thanks to Prince Henry the Navigator. :)  So it is possible that she was brought back as a wife or an adventuresome noble woman. :)

Trillium

She could do pirate or spice merchant, with lots of asian influence in her outfit.  Or perhaps she was stolen by pirates...
Got faerie dust?

Sev

Seconding Trillium -- can never go wrong with pirate (or somehow-related-to-pirates, hehe)! Mix and match garb and accessories from cultures worldwide, break as many rules as you want, be gorgeous and badass at the same time, and have fun the whole way =D