News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Robin Hood series

Started by Lady Christina de Pond, July 07, 2008, 09:12:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Christina de Pond

ok am i the only one still watching the series i was so fustrated when i went to watch the last episode i had tivoed and only to find that apparently the power had went out and i missed three minutes of the show and the part i wanted to see the most the proposal. well i was talking with some of my friends about our fav tv shows and i mentioned robin hood and how i had missed the proposal well my friend Said ohhh you might could find it on youtube so i checked it out. well i should have just watched it and walked away cause now the rest of the season is ruined for me. and well I don't even know if i will like season 3 now.
Helmswoman of the Fiesty Lady
Lady Ashley of De Coals
Militissa in the Frati della Beata Gloriosa Vergine Mari

SirBlackFox

I just started renting this series from Netflix.  I loved the first disc of episodes and the next one is due in tomorrow.  The photography is amazing, as is all of the atmosphere they've created.
Publisher, Faire Magazine, The Concordium, & The Pyrates Way
Founder, FriendsofMDRF

Black'n McCrack

Merry

If your area gets Comcast, you can find it On Demand.  It's in the TV Entertainment/BBC America section.

I was bummed that Marion went back, but I still love the series.  I'm not surprised at Alan...never trusted him.  Love Much!

Lady Christina de Pond

i love the series anyway i always will because Robin hood is one of my favorite story charaters but the last episode of the first season has to be my favorite so far. I'm glad i'm not the only one still watching
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Obadiah Jib

How does it compare to the British "Robin of Sherwood" series from the 80's?
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Lady Christina de Pond

obadiah i never saw that series so i'm nor sure how it stacks up with it
Lady Ashley of De Coals

Obadiah Jib

'cause that Robin of Sherwood series from the 80's was very good!  Clannad did the music.  Had a magic element to it.  It is available on Amazon.
First Mate of the Portobello Rose.
I'm not the captain, I just dress better than he does.

Lady Renee Buchanan

I, too, am a Robin Hood fanatic.  As a matter of fact, I actually bought a button when we went to Sherwood Forest that has a picture of Robin Hood on it with the words "I went to Sherwood Forest."  (how cheesy!)
Plus while in Nottingham, I bought some handmade lace that is worked into the image of Robin Hood.

I absolutely loved the series from the 80's.  I am truly convinced that our younger son got his love for history and faire from that series.  He started watching from age 2.  Our sons bought the DVDs for me a couple of years ago for Christmas, and I still watch them regularly.

The 80's series is much better than the new one.  It probably isn't historically accurate, but a lot more than this one.  There's a lot more mystical, with Herne the Hunter.  Also, the old one has Friar Tuck, who was a hoot.  The new series drives me crazy.  It is way too modernized for my taste.  The garb is awful.  Marian in a knitted short sweater that's supposed to pass for a bodice?  I don't think so.  I freak out every time Robin calls them "the gang."  Having said that, I still watch the new series.  I love looking at the castle, the street scenes, hearing the English accents.  When I watch it, it reminds me of being at faire, so I continue to watch, though I do make comparisons between the 2, and the new one is decidedly lacking, in my opinion.  I haven't caught up with it recently, missed a couple of episodes, but I try to tune in when I can.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Merry

I guess I'll have to try and find the old series and rent it:)

BubbleWright

My age is showing. When I first saw the topic of this thread, I thought it might refer to that glorious black and white TV classic, "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" starring Richard Greene, made in the UK and shown on American TV 1955 through 1959. You know you were hooked on a TV show when you can still sing the theme song, which went:

Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.
Feared by the bad, loved by the good.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.
They vowed to help the people of the king.
They handled all the trouble on the English country scene,
And still found plenty of time to sing.

Robin Hood, Robin Hood
Riding through the glen.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood
With his band of men.
Feared by the bad, loved by the good.
Robin Hood, Robin Hood, Robin Hood.

Perhaps not as historically accurate as later versions, it held the attention of the nippers, the good guys were stout hearted, the bad guys were hiss-able, and the fair maidens held their own ground.
Check it out: http://www.boldoutlaw.com/robspot/greenerobin.html
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

BubbleWright

PS- The above link is only one section of a Robin Hood web site which also has info on other Robin Hood TV series and movies. In fact, the focus of the site is ROBIN HOOD! Check out the Home Page:
http://www.boldoutlaw.com/index.html
"It is only with the heart that one sees rightly. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
   Antoine de St. Exupery

Morgan Dreadlocke

Quote from: BubbleWright on July 30, 2008, 06:26:29 PMWhen I first saw the topic of this thread, I thought it might refer to that glorious black and white TV classic, "The Adventures Of Robin Hood" starring Richard Greene, made in the UK and shown on American TV 1955 through 1959.

Now playing as a 3 disc set, in the $5 bargain box, at yer local Mall Wart.
My intentions are to commandeer a venue, sail to Tortuga, then pick, strum and otherwise play me weasily black guts out.

LadyMeg

Indeed!  Bought it at Wall-mart months ago!

I adore this series.  I actually like the modernization of it.  I had the priviledge of watching it overseas, so I'm awaiting series/season three...  Sure, not anywhere near historical accuracy of any way-shape-or form, but I love the commentary for this on the first series.  It was designed so that parents of children could easily and cheaply dress their little Robins and Marians, making it accessable to the public that way.  Love that!

Now... the end of this season was one where I sat there and was like, "What?!  WHAT?!"  but 'cause I like the cast and the uniqueness of the portrayal... I will tune in to see it again.  How could I not?!  Robin Hood rocks all sorts of things!
|LadyMeg|
________
Galene, Nereid in pirate form
Lady Alethea Talbot

DuCoeur

I enjoy the series.  It has replaced the void lost to me by Xena, Buffy, and Angel.  Action comedy.

The Acting is very good and I like the harsher edge this season.  The sherrif is so vile that you cann not help like to hate him.  i missed it last weekend,(ws at Faire) but will grab it on BBC onDemand.  Would love to see more of these types of shows...done as well as this one.
I would rather endure a thousand biblical hells then live a life of perpetual inconsequence.

Lady Christina de Pond

well Ducoeur i just saw the last episode for this season and i cried the writers better fix it
Lady Ashley of De Coals