News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hoop diameter?

Started by Merry, July 07, 2008, 11:27:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Merry

Sorry for the silly question but....

I just acquired a used farthingale with adjustable hoops.  Yippee!!!  But they are a little large for my middles garb.  I want to adjust them down but all attempts are so far lopsided!  Can someone suggest a proper diameter for middles hoops and what increments they need to be to lay properly?

Thank you!

Baroness Doune

I find anything smaller than a 90 inches circumference too small to walk comfortably in.

My regular hoops are 116 inches in circumference.  My big hoops are 144 inches in circumference.  (2/3rds my height is 46 inches. Pi x 46 inches is 144 inches.)

Somewhere in between 90 and 116 inches a good middle class size.

I am assuming the hoop channels are evenly spaced from each other on the farthingale.  If so, this farthingale calculator by Margaret Roe Designs may help.

To use the calculator:
Input waist measurement, the desired circumference of the bottom hoop, the waist to floor measurement less desired clearance of the bottom hoop off the floor, and the number of hoops desired. The Calculator provides both the distance from the waist for each row of boning and the circumference of each row of boning. If the Farthingale Calculator won't open, see this note from Margaret, which may help solve the problem.

QuoteThe program doesn't seem to work with certain versions of IE. However, for IE 7 users, there is a solution on the user end to make the program work. If you go to Tools, Internet Options, Security, Custom Level, and set "Allow websites to prompt using scripted windows" to enable, the program works just fine. Somehow, setting it to temporarily allow this doesn't cut it.

Merry

Just exactly what I needed ;D  Thank you!

Lady Anne Clare

Quote from: Baroness Doune on July 07, 2008, 06:05:59 PM
I am assuming the hoop channels are evenly spaced from each other on the farthingale.  If so, this farthingale calculator by Margaret Roe Designs may help.

To use the calculator:
Input waist measurement, the desired circumference of the bottom hoop, the waist to floor measurement less desired clearance of the bottom hoop off the floor, and the number of hoops desired. The Calculator provides both the distance from the waist for each row of boning and the circumference of each row of boning. If the Farthingale Calculator won't open, see this note from Margaret, which may help solve the problem.
I love the farthingale calculator, it saved me a lot of frustration when I had to fix what I had already done wrong.  Without it I had hoops that were really wrong.  And I have a dress diary post to prove it  ;)
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)

RumbaRue

Something that bothers me the most about gals wearing noble garb; seeing the hoop bands under your skirt.

I suggest you put an extra skirt over them before putting on your noble gear, it will help hide the hoop ribbing.
Being Blond means I have the right to walk into any wall.

Merry

Quote from: RumbaRue on July 12, 2008, 01:27:19 PM
Something that bothers me the most about gals wearing noble garb; seeing the hoop bands under your skirt.

I suggest you put an extra skirt over them before putting on your noble gear, it will help hide the hoop ribbing.

I have heard many with the same complaint.   I agree, visable hoops can ruin a beautiful garb.

But I started wearing a farthingale to help keep me cool, I don't want to have to have MORE layers:)  (My garb is middles so I had the option to go with or without hoops.)  My skirt has pleats which help mask the hoops, but the biggest help is that in my farthingale the hoops are in bias tape tubes attached to the INSIDE of the farthingale.  So I have a layer already masking the hoops and the pleats do the rest.   I bought it used and I'm blessing the original seamstress for her foresight. 

I have also seen ladies sew an additional ruffle or band over each hoop and that works also.

Lady Anne Clare

I put a ruffle above each hoop band which worked beautifully.  Also my farthingale is actually larger than the hoops so the material gathers slightly.
I love historical sewing for the lack of zippers ;)