News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Elizabethan Tableware

Started by Dinobabe, January 24, 2015, 10:26:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinobabe

I am trying to figure out what to use to set an Elizabethan table for faire (Queen's table).  My mom has some old china probably from the 1930's with lots of gold edging and flowers on it.  I was wondering if it would be passable?  I am trying not to spend any money and use what is around.  I did a google search for Elizabethan tableware but there was a lot of stuff with that label not necessarily historical.  I will try to post a pic later.  Thank you! 
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Orphena

I have the honour to play QE1, and I scrounged around thrift stores and picked up shiny silver platters. I filled a picnic basket up with them, and metal goblets, and cutlery and napkins. If the basket gets dropped, there is a mighty clatter, but no breakage. Extra napkins (or plain dishtowels) mean that we can wrap up the dirty plates and wash them after faire!

I don't know when China became the norm for tableware - and for faire - you want it to look like it belongs - so you can fudge on some details if needed!
Luxurious Lady ~ Statuesque Seamstress ~ Winsome Wayfarer
Enjoyer of Elegant Elizabethan Ensembles

Dinobabe

Hmmm, never thought about the dropping part!  Thanks.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

Gauwyn of Bracknell

maybe find someone who has Armetale (sp?)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Alysea

I absolutely second the thrift store idea.  Flea markets or swap meets (depending on what you call them, lol). You can find nice things for little money.  The dollar store has nice silver looking plates/platters.  We have some of them but don't scratch them with a knife or the rust when you wash them. just my two cents worth.
Lady Alysea
Baroness of Delfinhal
Protector of Our Majesties Dolphins