News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Full-Time Renn Park??

Started by Anomalous44, August 08, 2013, 03:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PollyPoPo

Quote from: dbaldock on August 11, 2013, 12:35:28 PM
While I'm actually more of a romantic or idealist, I'm afraid my rather pragmatic, ... pessimistic or "doom & gloom".

Some people need a little pragmatic doom and gloom to get them on the right track. 

Without a firm idea of what he/she is offering potential employees or partners Anomalous44 may not be asking the right questions.  Creating a realistic business plan can help pull in his/her focus to something possibly more achievable. 

Having big dreams is just starting Point A.  Asking if other people want to participate is somewhere around Point R.  There has to be a lot of research, editing, trimming, and bringing it down to earth to get from Point A to Point R. 

It's going to take even more time, work, money and perseverance to get from Point R to Point Z.

Reading through much of the renfest forums is a start.  There is a lot of good information here about how faires start, work, succeed or fail, as well as information about the renfaire community itself.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

GryffinSong

Quote from: Anomalous44 on August 10, 2013, 03:12:22 PM
...I haven't heard any feedback from craftsmen on this thread yet. I know that I have seen some at the festivals who give demonstrations. Are there any craftsmen who would be interested in having a working shoppe where they could teach their craft?

I'm an artist/vendor, but my work is fantasy rather than authentic. Dragons and gryffins and faeries, oh my!  ;D

Regardless of product, however, I think most artists and craftspersons would be unlikely to relocate permanently. That involves family, homes, and much more. You're far more likely to get vendors wishing to work there for a part of the year, probably between gigs at regular renfests. And those of us who make our living at this have to make a profit, so that would be a huge factor in participation. I'm sure you could get vendors for short term gigs before proving that its a viable venture, but for anything more than a couple of weekends, I'd guess that most of us would need some evidence that we won't be losing money before we'd make a larger commitment.

As for your original authentic village idea, I'm getting too old for that. LOL Give me a hot shower at the end of the day and I'm happy.  ;D

Also, the comment on money was right on. I HAVE to take credit cards. Much of my work is in the over $100 range and trying to manage swapping money types around would be inconvenient for my customers, quite probably to the point of losing sales.
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

Capt Spleen

Start small then grow?

Have a large Hall/Restaurant, and rent it out for weddings and small conventions/events.
With a period exterior. It could serve as a beer hall/garden when not rented.

*On a completely different note .........

Have you considered Crowd Funding?

http://www.socialbrite.org/2011/04/26/15-ways-to-crowdfund-your-startup-or-project/

Dinobabe

P.S.  If you are looking for a location there is an ex renfaire in Virginia with buildings and other infrastructure.  One of them is (or used to be) my grandma's.  Just a thought!  ;)

Anyone been out there recently to see what it looks like?
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

GryffinSong

Quote from: PollyPoPo on August 11, 2013, 09:49:46 AM
I'm with Merlin on the "LOOK" era, but still have running water and flush plumbing.  We also have to keep in mind that periodically cleaned port-a-potties are a modern invention.  As one who remembers real outhouses, more than a couple people using a two-holer gets pretty bad after a chili supper. :o

The key to a clean-smelling outhouse is sawdust or some other natural material. Scoop some in whenever there is a solid waste, and it doesn't smell. At least that's the theory. Don't know about big crowds using one. I lived on land a friend of mine owns. His outhouse never smelled. Ever. He had a large barrel underneath it (it was built on a hill) and he replaced the barrel when it was half full, composting the waste. Read up on humanure if you haven't heard of it. We used pine needles or sawdust and it was wonderful. Sitting out in nature, hearing the birds sing ... it was the first time I actually appreciated the possibilities of an outdoor toilet.

Merlin the Elder

In agreement with you, GryffinSong...to a point.  Should this venture capture the audience that, say, TRF has, you would be trying to dispose/compost the waste of as many as 80,000 visitors over a weekend. A pine bough is not going to cover it... :o ;)
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Anomalous44

I believe I need to clarify a couple of things since this thread seems to be taking on a life of it's own.

First off, I am not offering vending opportunities nor am I any where near doing so. In response to Polly, I believe that creating an interest list is part B in the dream because if there aren't people besides myself interested then failure is guaranteed. I believe that the point R you referred to would be recruiting, which I am NOT doing at this time. I have still yet to find out if there are people interested. I am purely researching the concept as Polly rightly pointed out is the stage I should be at.

Second, although I appreciate the suggestions of how to create interest or the "infrastructure" that would be ideal to each of you, I am more interested in hearing, based on the concept I have vaguely outlined, yeah or nay and possibly a brief reason why. I believe that Merlin had stated something about being at his age he prefers the convenience of modern plumbing. That is perfect! He has responded in the purest way possible and has not made any assumptions about another persons position in doing so. I am more interested in YOUR personal opinion and less interested in your theory or prediction of others (however valid it may be).

Thirdly, please don't be offended if I don't answer all of your questions relating to details. The last "concept" I discussed with the target demographic in the early stages is up and running and highly successful. Unfortunately, the person running it is someone who asked questions about detail. I basically handed him my concept and he pitched it to an investor as his own.

PollyPoPo

Not interested at this time.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

GryffinSong

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on August 11, 2013, 07:56:34 PM
In agreement with you, GryffinSong...to a point.  Should this venture capture the audience that, say, TRF has, you would be trying to dispose/compost the waste of as many as 80,000 visitors over a weekend. A pine bough is not going to cover it... :o ;)

LOL, I hear that!!!

Ok, as to the original question, I might be interested for up to a couple of months a year. Longer than that and I think I'd start really missing the modern conveniences. :)

DonaCatalina

Put me down as not interested.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

dbaldock

I'm not a performer or artisan, but if I was going to be in the area of the park/community, I'd probably try to visit for a weekend or two.  However, I don't think I'd take a trip across the country to visit, unless friends were going or working at the park.

Having a dream is great, and being able to make a living at it is even better.

It's that second part where most of the difficulties lie...   ;)

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Anomalous44

Thanks guys. The responses have been great and being able to gauge in this forum will save me from putting too much time and effort into a lost cause. It has become apparent that the concept would not interest enough people to warrant pursuing it further at this time. I invite more people to continue to respond and at such a time (if ever) there seems to be enough interest, I will pick back up. I currently plan to work toward purchasing a property for personal use that could be used as such a site so I will remain open to the concept or variations of it.

GryffinSong

Are you a member of the SCA, Adrian Empire, or any of the other medieval re-creation groups? They would LOVE to have a good site for events. That way you get "living history" for a long weekend at a time, and could see how well it works for you. It would also give you another group of people to poll, because, honestly, you've not really gotten enough feedback here to be statistically significant. SCA members, and similar groups, are people who really enjoy living primitive. The Pennsic War, for instance, is two solid weeks of medieval camping, with lots of vendors and classes and so on.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it!!! :)

PollyPoPo

If there are any relatively new readers here, please be aware that the apparent lack of interest might be due to the fact that each of these ideas has been thrown out on these various forums every so often.

None of the stated concepts is really new. 

They have all been discussed: and

sometimes discarded as nice dreams, but not enough money to support them;

sometimes set aside until the business potential makes them workable; and

some are actually being put into effect now at faires.   

The person posting the query was given the opportunity to expand on the ideas, maybe coming up with something more original.   Perhaps after more research into renaissance and medieval faires, restaurants, events, etc., he might come back with something new.
Polly PoPo
(aka Grannie)

Dinobabe

Quote from: GryffinSong on August 13, 2013, 08:29:40 PM
Are you a member of the SCA, Adrian Empire, or any of the other medieval re-creation groups? They would LOVE to have a good site for events. That way you get "living history" for a long weekend at a time, and could see how well it works for you. It would also give you another group of people to poll, because, honestly, you've not really gotten enough feedback here to be statistically significant. SCA members, and similar groups, are people who really enjoy living primitive. The Pennsic War, for instance, is two solid weeks of medieval camping, with lots of vendors and classes and so on.

Whatever you decide, best of luck with it!!! :)

Great idea!
Also consider Civil War, Mountain Men, craft and heritage, and Native American events.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com