News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Bodice Fabric

Started by Raelyn Fey, August 14, 2013, 08:27:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raelyn Fey

I have a question about bodice fabric. I am buying a bodice from someone on Etsy, and she only has the fabric pattern I want in a wool fabric (black watch tartan). I'm afraid the wool is going to be too hot being out in the sun all day (the faire is in september and october). Because I'm new to costuming, I thought I'd ask the opinion of those who have worn it all. I am wearing a cotton, long sleeve chemise under it in case that makes a difference.

gem

The wool will be WONDERFUL in *all* weather--much, much more comfortable than, frex, some upholstery synthetics (she says, having made and worn many a bodice from upholstery fabric!). Remember that men's summer suits are almost always made from wool (they call it "tropical weight" for a reason!), and you hardly ever hear about sheep overheating.  ;) It's a terrific, breathable, all-weather fiber.  I wouldn't wear a Fair Isle fisherman sweater or my peacoat on a hot day at Fair--but I have no qualms about my wool dresses, or Milord's wool tunics/cloaks/kilts (and he definitely feels the heat!).

And for that matter, I honestly don't find that my bodices tend to be terribly warm, anyway--and they're made of LAYERS of heavy things--canvas, plastic boning, upholstery fabric. I think part of it is that they're close-fitting and part is that they're relatively small, in terms of what they're covering, and I make sure that all my other layers are natural fibers, flowy, and keep my skin from being exposed to too much sun.

Have fun!!
(How's that skirt coming?!)

Raelyn Fey

Thanks so much. I decided to wear my blue skirt from last year since it fit under my corset when I played dress up recently and spend my money on a bodice instead. I have the good fortune of attending a second weekend at the faire this year and the corset isn't going to go with the Highland theme. Hense the tartan bodice I'm wanting. I will make a new skirt next year with one of the patterns, and I will make sure to buy enough fabric. Thanks for asking and your help on that subject too =)

isabelladangelo

What Gem said.   As long as you have your neckline open (typical in most bodices), you should be able to release body heat, keeping you cool.  Even some heavy wools are fine for bodices since you will be so constricted anyway.   

Raelyn Fey

This is the bodice but it'll be in a different fabric

isabelladangelo

I personally would get rid of the princess seams - princess seams were developed to go over a specific type of corset and stayed around to go over bras.  A bodice is meant to hold you up on it's own and princess seams go against that.   However, the bodice has a perfect open neckline that will allow heat to escape.   Wool will be fine for that (depending on the wool, it would be another case against princess seams.  Some wools fray like they are starting a sprint the second the get to the sewing line!)

Raelyn Fey

I can't get rid of the seams because I'm not the one making it. This is how she makes hers. It has some boning in it too. I don't mind wearing a bra with it either but that's just me. I'll eventually learn to make my own.

Raelyn Fey

Here is my bodice with the wool fabric. I'm a tad longer in the torso than the pattern was made more, so I'll be hiding the tiny gap between it and my skirt with a belt I was going to wear anyway. It's lined and has boning in it. I think it's quite lovely even with the seams.

gem

That is *darling* and you will treasure it (and love wearing it) for years!!  In this case, the princess seams don't bother me; it reminds me of the waistcoats of traditional Scottish ladies' dress. It looks beautifully made.

For the waist gap issue, I just pull my skirts up higher. :)

Can't wait to see it on you, Irish!

Raelyn Fey

I'm hoping to make a second skirt which I could pull up higher with more ease. The one I'm wearing it already pretty high, haha! I can't wait to wear it. I'm about to burst =P

Lady Renee Buchanan

Your new bodice is beautiful.  I love the way it came out in the tartan.  It looks very elegant, and the colors together are lovely.  Pictures of you wearing it are a must!!!    ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

I think it's lovely. I can't wait to see photos of you in it.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Raelyn Fey

Me in my corset outfit

Me in my bodice outfit (bad lighting i'm sorry!)

gem

You look great!! Thanks for sharing the photos.  :D

ThornAndThimble

It looks great! I had been considering one from that shop for over a year now. Glad to see that you were happy with yours.

Raelyn Fey

It was a tad short. Maybe my torso is just a little longer than standard, but I liked the bodice.