News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

'Gathered' partlet

Started by Rowan MacD, August 16, 2013, 03:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rowan MacD

I'm looking to make a partlet with little poufs or gathers to decorate the chest and shoulder areas.  It's more like a 3 dimensional look, rather than a pattern. 
Has anyone tried to do this?
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

isabelladangelo

Rowan MacD

Exactly! Sorry I had no time to find the picture, I was posting just as I left work.
  I do have an friend that made something like this.  She said it was a pain, but worth the result.  Hers is white Organza with red beads.
I have seen her work close up, but I'm still not exactly sure how she did the puffs.
  I imagine organza would be the best material to hold the puffs.
Would I need more fabric than the typical LM pattern?
IWG wench #3139 

isabelladangelo

I personally haven't done a partlet like that.  Mine have always just been ribbon over organza or chiffon.  My *guess* is what we are seeing is a regular partlet that has eyelets and the puffs are really just strips of organza pulled through the eyelets and then tacked down on the edges to make it look fuller.   Does that make sense?

gem

I can't remember how she told me she made it. It looks like a type of smocking to me (similar to this, maybe?).

Rowan MacD

Quote from: isabelladangelo on August 16, 2013, 06:09:21 PM
I personally haven't done a partlet like that.  Mine have always just been ribbon over organza or chiffon.  My *guess* is what we are seeing is a regular partlet that has eyelets and the puffs are really just strips of organza pulled through the eyelets and then tacked down on the edges to make it look fuller.   Does that make sense?
It does.  I'll keep a lookout for eylet cotton this weekend.  I'm going to experiment with a scrap of organza too.   
Gem-Thanks for the picture of  Amanda ^_^.-All mine are distance shots.  I never thought to get one up close.
    I would love to know how that gold smocking was done..
IWG wench #3139 

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I plan to make a similar partlet when I embark on my next personal garb project. I was thinking of an embroidered Silk for mine.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Lady Catharine

I want I need that
Gorgeous!!!!
'A feast is made for laughter,
and wine maketh merry'

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

https://www.silkbaron.com/product_p/267.htm

Silk Baron, where I order a lot of my Dupioni Silk, has Pintuck Silk in 45" widths that would work nicely for such a Partlet and sleeves that is in the painting. Add colored beading and one has a perfect match. I ordered Pintuck Silk in the Black Cherry and it is GORGEOUS!!!

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

Rowan MacD

oooooo. Wanting that for my stash...

look what I found...

http://www.tableclothsfactory.com/85-Overlay-Pintuck-Gold-p/b09a_lay85_ptk_gold.htm
Looks like a larger pintuck-$12.99 each!
IWG wench #3139