News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

John Dowland Inspired Garb

Started by HannahLeeDee, July 07, 2008, 02:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HannahLeeDee

Normally I don't like posting a question that I haven't done much research on yet but I figured I should just start here this time.

So I am singing a John Dowland song for a vocal contest next January and if got me to thinking. John Dowland is kind of awesome. Which then led me to start thinking about possible characters for Ren Fest. So to get to the point. I am thinking about starting new garb based on a vocalist who would sing John Dowland's music. Possibly even creating a character who is related to John. (But before I go that far I need to do some more research about his personal life) What sort of clothing would a vocalist who sang in court wear? Would she be is a court dress like farthingale and all? Or would it be a more simple way of dressing? And to add a little humor to the garb I would like to use a lot of dark colors because John Dowland's music is kind of a downer.

So if anyone has any websites where I can start learning more about all of this I would greatly appreciate it.

isabelladangelo

The idea of "work/occupational" clothing is a very Victorian one.  You dressed by class not by your occupation.  Yes, there are a few occupational accessories, and you'd never catch a blacksmith wearing his best velvet doublet while working, but, for the most part, clothing was not occupational.

This means that, a singer for the court, would be around the lesser noble, upper middle class.  S/he would not be as fancy as the King or Queen, but wouldn't look like those ruffin peasants either.

HannahLeeDee

I feel like I should say: "Why didn't I think of that?"

isabelladangelo

verymerryseamstress

Grizzabella

I don't have any documentation to back it up, but when I was in college, my costuming professor told me that court performers during the Renaissance often wore the hand-me-downs of the people for whom they worked. 

Like I said, I don't know if it can be documented or not, but it would certainly add a creative twist to costuming the part.  You'd have a mish-mosh of items that weren't necessarily originally meant to be worn together (A top from one ensemble, bottoms from another, a well-worn suit of ruffs - or a partial suit of ruffs), distressed/faded/aged.  You could really get creative with something like that!
I'm your very merry seamstress.  How may I help you?

HannahLeeDee

Very Mery Semstress:

That could also be pretty economical too. Buy a little fabric here a little fabric there. Even if it isn't perfectly h/a it makes a lot of sense.

Thanks

McGuinness

For a large part of the Elizabethan era, it was illegal to be an actor or performer (since most of the singers were actors at some point) without having a patron, and it was even more strictly illegal for a woman to be a performer. If you had a patron, you'd have some sort of livery - either a full outfit in their colors, a patch or other token with thier crest or another sort of token in some cases (the 3rd Earl of Southampton gave a gold chain to his liveried staff). For their entertainment, nobles would hire travelling troupes to perform in their homes or a member of the court (like an unmarried daughter trying to "show off" a bit)

That said....

You could dress in shabbier noble clothes like those cast off or worn out by higher nobles, plainer lower nobility clothes like you were the daughter of a knight or baron, or more gypsy clothes like you just happened to be passing by and got hired in for a free meal. For websites? I'll have to check my cast book later. I think I have a link in their somewhere with some of this info - I just dont have it here at work with me.

You're still pretty wide open. Just depends on how you want to play the character.

isabelladangelo

http://www.extremecostuming.com/articles/secondhandclothes.html

Above is a documented article regarding second hand clothing in Elizabethan England.  I would strongly guard against "gypsy" clothing given that the period gypsy was primarily in continental Europe and dressed in what was a chemise and wrap

If you want to go with the "singer" idea, you may want to try as one of the lesser ladies of the court.  It is not the least bit unheard of for a lower noble lady to be part of the court simply as entertainment for the Queen and King.  If a lady had a good voice, she would use it to gain the King or Queen's good graces.