News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Need help modifying sandals

Started by gem, August 22, 2013, 04:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

So a few weeks ago I posted about footwear for my WIP Valkyrie ensemble. I happened to stumble across an awesome and cheap (seriously, CHEAP, like $8.00 cheap) pair of gold gladiator sandals at Target. They look great, but the straps that go across the foot are too tight. I'm trying to figure out what I can do to alter them (taking them apart is not a problem; putting them back together may be!) so they're actually wearable.  These are the shoes (altho' this is not my photo):

...And see how the straps on the outside are cutting into the edge of her toe? Yeah, that's the problem.

The straps appear to be continuous across the foot, and they're sewn to that center studded band. Milord suggested unpicking the band, cutting the straps and spreading them apart, and then resewing the band... but I am skeptical about how workable that idea actually is. Has anyone tried anything like that?  I will probably, at the least, remove the last strap, although none of them really go over my left foot.  ::)

Anyway, they're not currently wearable and for an $8 investment, I really have nothing to lose... but I don't want to just dive in with no real idea what I'm doing.

Anyone ever alter a pair of shoes like this?

Thanks!!

Rani Zemirah

Is there any reason why a simple shoe stretcher won't work?  Leave each shoe stretching for a week and it should stay like that forever.  Or take them to a professional and let them do it for $5. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Trillium

Or possibly mist them with some water and wear them around to stretch them?
Got faerie dust?

Philomel

ARe they real leather?  Leather will stretch, you can use a spray and a shoe stretcher, or just spray them and wear them around the house (your skin oils will also help soften the leather so they stretch)