News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

FOP's in Arizona

Started by SleepyArcher, August 27, 2013, 01:21:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SleepyArcher

Lord Fondlebottom is trying to plan a trip out to Arizona. Has there or are there FOPs out there? Will he be the only one? Plans are coming together for March 8-9. Hopefully as time gets nearer plans will be solidified. Cheap airline tickets right now.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Amara Deegan

I am sorry if this is an obvious question, but what is an FOP?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

I have only visited Arizona a few times and never saw any.  But you two would be a great addition to their faire.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

SleepyArcher

Amara:The word "fop" is first recorded in 1440, and for several centuries just meant a fool of any kind; the OED notes first use with the meaning of "one who is foolishly attentive to and vain of his appearance, dress, or manners; a dandy, an exquisite" in 1672.[1] An early example of the usage is in the restoration drama "The Soldier's Fortune", in which a woman dismisses a potential suitor by saying "Go, you are a fop.

and

Fop became a pejorative term for a foolish man overly concerned with his appearance and clothes in 17th century England. Some of the very many similar alternative terms are: "coxcomb", fribble, "popinjay" (meaning "parrot"), fashion-monger, and "ninny". "Macaroni" was another term, of the 18th century, more specifically concerned with fashion.
A modern-day fop may also be a reference to a foolish person who is overly concerned about his clothing and incapable of engaging in intellectual conversations, activities or thoughts.
Knight, FOP, Pirate, Woodsman...I am a man of many faces.

Amara Deegan

I am aware of those meanings for the word "fop". I was wondeting if "FOP" was an acronym or abbreviation for something else since I have not seen it all capitolized before.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

groomporter

The Fops were also a performing group at MNRF for close to ten years, so it may be more of a regional thing. Each new season they would come out with new outlandish outfits, usually color coordinated with each other(see link below). They sometimes played at being the "Royal Fashion Consultants".

http://mrffriends.org/pages_groups/fops.html
When you die can you donate your body to pseudo-science?