News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Restoring leather bracers?

Started by Gypsy_Pyxie, September 10, 2013, 03:23:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy_Pyxie

I bought a pair of leather bracers years ago. They're dyed black and have been stored flat in a box that I honestly forgot about. Because of this storage they're kind of squished flat and creased that way. I was wondering if there was a way to soften them and get them back to their original shape. Any suggestions? Thanks

Bogie

i assume your trying to get the cylindrical shape back?  if so:

depending on they type of leather, quality, dye job, etc. it depends.  Get it lightly wet by running a dripping wet paper towel on both sides of the leather.  Using your fingers, smooth the leather out the roll them around your wrist.  find something about similar in diameter and the wrap the bracer around that (soda can, cleaning spray can, etc).  I suggest wrapping it in paper towels enoughto pad it so you can wrap rubber bands around it.   Then, let it dry.  When it's dried or close to, unwrap and work it a bit by rolling it over a soft 90 degree edge to soften it a bit.   With all that done you should now have your nice rounded form back.

Warning: if its cheap leather, getting it too wet can cause it to swell too much and ruin the bracer.

609wood

With all due respect The last thing I would use on old dry and hard leather is water. Your leather bracers need to be restored using something that will
Moisturize and restore the natural oils in the leather without damaging them. I would suggest rubbing them with a product like bick4, or even saddle soap. Even products like eagle or armor all for leather will work. Add a bit and rub it in good and let it sit a day. The  lace up your bracers loosely and slowly add more conditioner and tighten up  the laces. If you Go slow the leather wont crack as easily as if you wet it and bend it to fit. Once its supple you can get it wet or do anything you want.

DonaCatalina

Saddle soap first.
I inherited an 1873 saddle scabbard that was dry and brittle.
Wait 24 hours and then use a leather conditioner. Leather Honey is only one of several good products.
Do not use petroleum oils or waxes.
Neatsfoot oil, banana oil are all good choices.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess