News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Naming your outfits

Started by DonaCatalina, September 09, 2013, 08:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonaCatalina

I'm not sure if I have ever heard anyone mention something like this. But when my husband and I are planning what we will wear on an upcoming fair day, we have given various outfits names.
ME: What are you planning on wearing Saturday?
Him: I was thinking about Mr Pearly since it will be too warm to wear Black Spanish.

are we the only ones who do this?
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Sir Michael Geare

No you're not.  I have several outfits that I wear depending on the character I play at specific faires so they are aptly named based on the character.
'The exercising of weapons puts away aches, griefs, and diseases, it
increases strength, and sharpens the wits.'

gem

No, but we should. Half the time Milord has no idea what pieces I'm talking about! LOL We have a couple of favorites, plus some things are obvious (pink corset, kilt), but only a very few pieces, like my Flaming Orange Chemise, have actual names.

Kate XXXXXX

Mine are usually names after the character they are for, such as Nesta' Green or Pru's Purple...  The only outfit that really has a name of its own is The Wicked Lady (in my avatar).

Rani Zemirah

I don't have whole outfits that are named... but I do have individual pieces.  Of course, they are fairly basic and derivative, stemming from the descriptions of the pieces, themselves...

First I have The Pirate, which is, of course, my Moresca pirate bodice, and whatever else I pair with it at the time... and then there is The Leather. which is my brown leather Steampunk corset, and the only way my daughter or I ever refer to either piece.  Then we have The Damsels... a handful of Damsel In This Dress Wench style underbust corsets we've collected over the last year and a half (and used frequently as "loaner" garb for various friends). 

So far neither of us have any single outfit so remarkable that it deserves it's own name... or really anything that works so perfectly that it is worn the same way every time.  Everything in our garb closet is very much mix-and-match, and put together however we're feeling that morning... or to match the weather.  Perhaps one of these days we will work our way up to something that matches so completely that it will become an actual "outfit"... and merit it's own name!  :) 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Yep, ours all have names, full sets and pieces.
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Sir Michael Geare on September 09, 2013, 10:08:19 PM
No you're not.  I have several outfits that I wear depending on the character I play at specific faires so they are aptly named based on the character.

and their names are?
LOL
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

Norfolk

All of our outfits have names.  There is the "rust" outfit, and because our employer has asked that we wear blue, we have the "new blue", the "best blue", the "German blue", and the "hot weather blue".   :)
Just call me "Your Grace"

Capt Gabriela Fullpepper

We have Katherine Parr, The Elizabethan dress of many dresses (It's 6 dresses in 1), The Katherine of Aragon, The funky pirate coat, the Pumpkin pie Courtesan, the Dangerous Beauty Courtesan, the wench, the pirate wench, and the noble pirate coat
"The Metal Maiden"
To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody e

Rowan MacD

Hubby and I have 3 matching outfits-'Early Tudor'(Henrican),'Elizabethan Black' and the new 'Greens'
  Hubby has 'Captain Kangaroo Pirate' (red frock coat/white trim) and I have my
'Celtic' -an Odd Bodkin ensemble for comfort days, usually worn with a Leine, and a belted tartan fastened with an annular brooch. 

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

LadyStitch

The PP has names for his.  "The couch" is his heavy microsude polyester lined pirate coat.  It is great for 1st weekend of Scarby and sometimes TRF.  He also wears it for indoor function.  Then there is "The linen" or as I call it  "Middle Eastern PP".  It is a sleeveless skirted doublet he wears for warm weather functions.  He also will wear it with his '2 headed party Chicken' fez.  (He got it from here www.fez-o-rama.com)  He has "the Simbad".  It is a Navy Linen shirt and pants  with a gold sash out fit he had me make for the Simbad the Sailor show he was in.  Again another warm weather/ I want to go incognito outfit.  He also has old outfits called  "Mudge", and "Bastian", and we also have "Sir Roland/ Clockwork".

Fuzzlet has the Baby Pink Pirate, the Fabric Fairy,  the Baby Belly dancer, and her Maid Marion.  All of which go with one of our outfits, usually the PP's  :)

I really have 3 outfits.  I have "Lady Stitch"  which is is my leather belt bodice, new sewing themed choaker, and brown skirt and a off white chemise.  "Mummy Fabric Fairy" is my Plum Moresca blouse paired with a random top, bottom, and anything I can scrounge up. I usually do this when the weather is unpredictable. It doesn't matter what I look like because I am suppose to be stealing peoples garb pieces :)

Edit:  got a direct link to the fez site.
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

The Purple
The Black
the celtic
The ranger
Ben Franklin
Wench
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Merlin the Elder

I call mine "Fred," but I'm a little weird...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 11, 2013, 06:33:11 AM
I call mine "Fred," but I'm a little weird...

a 'little' - are you sure about that??  8)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Don_Juan_deCordoba

Well it's better than calling it Freddette.
Marques de Trives