News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Where would you go?

Started by lady serena, September 15, 2013, 02:22:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lady serena

Where would you go in Ireland? England? Scotland? France? And Germany?

I know castles but which ones? Which Museums would you visit? What places would be a MUST see?

I'm hoping for our silver anniversary to be able to go and see the sites and visit my ancestral lands, and I'm looking for ideas on where to go and what to see beside the normal tourist traps.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

Butch

Well, how timely!  My wife and I booked a England, Spain, France cruise last December, which will leave in about a month!  We are gonna stay over a couple of days in Canterbury, and also take the hydrofoil over to Calais.  We can't wait!

Merlin the Elder

"In about a month" is RenDezvous! You going after?
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Ms Trish

In Germany, I loved Rothenburg! Triberg was very pretty too. Depends on what part of the country you're going to be in, I suppose. If it was going to be Christmas time, I'd have recommended Nuremberg for their Christmas market. Never went there in the fall though. Oh! and if you have small children, there's a fairy tale garden at Ludwigsburg Palace that was fun!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Ms Trish

I was also going to mention that the Konigssee is also very pretty. See if you can find the Sleeping Witch (although when pronounced in English with a very heavy German accent sounded more like "belch" which caused a good deal of chuckling in my tour group). :)

Ms Trish

LOL - Yeah...not belch...the female dog word. Silly filters!

Butch

Quote from: Merlin the Elder on September 16, 2013, 12:37:40 PM
"In about a month" is RenDezvous! You going after?
Merlin, TWO WEEKS after!  The last week of Oct and the first week of Nov.

LissaRoisin

I would love to go to Ireland, specifically county Donegal. That is where my family is from
IWG #3491
IFRP #1486
Loveland Castleteer
Captain of the Wenches Desire

BLAKDUKE

England --  Bosworth field

Germany --Neuschwanstein
Ancient swordsman/royalty
Have Crown/Sword Will Travel

Lady Renee Buchanan

I will probably think of more, because we lived in England, but just off the top of my head, if you are going to Scotland, Stirling is a great central location.  We used it as our base and took day trips around the highlands, to Edinburgh, plus Stirling Castle and the Wallace Monument were really good.

Everybody loves London, but the English countryside is beautiful.  Stonehenge and Salisbury are near enough to each other that you can do both during the same day.  If you do go to London, don't miss the Jack the Ripper Tour from London Walks.  That is the original company, and when we took it, the guide was the country's foremost expert on Jack the Ripper.  Canterbury, York, Oxford, the Cotswalds, way too much to see it all for even a 2 week trip to England alone!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

DonaCatalina

I wouldn't be able to choose. I would just have to eeny meeny miny moe.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

lady serena

Thank you everyone. I hope to make it to the catacombs in France, a few small old villages in Germany, Sterling castle in Scottland and the Guiness brewery in Ireland to name a few places. If anyone else has any ideas please do share.
Guppy # 81
Fins up

dbaldock

The UK Lake District is a really scenic area to visit, and Carlisle Castle was interesting.  Hadrian's Wall goes East out of Carlisle (if Roman ruins interest you).

The West & Southwest of the Republic of Ireland (Counties Clare & Kerry) are also quite scenic, but the roads are fairly narrow.

The Titanic Exhibit in Belfast, Northern Ireland is really amazing.

I've uploaded photos of trips to England, Scotland, and Ireland (from 2001, 2011, & 2013) to my Flickr account.

Flickr - David Baldock - UK & Ireland Trips - 2001, 2011 & 2013

Take Care,
David Baldock
Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small minds discuss people... -anonymous

Jack Daw at Work

I saw lots of castles in Scotland in 2003.  The one that has the most breath-taking view and is quite photogenic is Donottar Castle, and Edinburgh Castle is not to be missed either.
Steve "Jack Daw" McIntyre

"The honour the Sleat Carpenter obtained...is still preserved for his descendants."

Lady Renee Buchanan

Quote from: lady serena on September 29, 2013, 07:13:59 PM
Thank you everyone. I hope to make it to the catacombs in France, a few small old villages in Germany, Sterling castle in Scottland and the Guiness brewery in Ireland to name a few places. If anyone else has any ideas please do share.

Are you going to the catacombs in Paris?    A couple of suggestions.  Bring your own flashlight.  It's dark in there, and there used to be candle sellers outside, who, of course,overcharged for candles.  It is below ground, chilly, bring a sweater.  If you are claustrophobic, this is not the place for you.  And walking underground, the floors can have seepage.  I suggest waterproof shoes or boots, not open toes or sandals - eew........

By the way, if went many, many years ago, and I loved it! ;D
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Hausfrau Monica

In Germany I would certainly try to visit Cologne (Koln) especially the Dom cathedral...magnificent baroque cathedral that was reconstructed after the heavy damage in the war)...and walk along the Rhine in to the Altstadt (old town) with historic fountains. History in a cosmopolitan city...amazing.