News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

I'm looking for someone to make my fantasy/ren wedding dress in Iowa

Started by semisweet, September 18, 2013, 02:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

semisweet

Hey all,

I've been interested in the renaissance time period for many years (I think this year was the first time in about 7 years that I haven't been able to make it to the local ren fest in the Amana Colonies).  I'm decent at sewing, but I mostly do quilting stuff, and I definitely don't feel confident enough to make my own wedding dress when I'll have hundreds of pictures taken of me.

Anyway, I just got engaged about 1 month ago and we've decided to have a Lord of the Rings/Hobbit theme as we're both lifelong fantasy fans.  I've found a beautiful dress online and I want something like it, but would prefer to have it fitted to me in person and made out of cotton rather than the polyester it is offered in.  I've been having trouble finding tailors/seamstresses in the area that have experience with costuming/renaissance. 

So my question to you lovely folks:  Does anyone here have any recommendations for someone in or around Iowa City, Iowa?  I would also be willing to travel to Cedar Rapids or another big cities in Iowa for this.  They need to have experience in corsets in particular, modifying patterns, and have photos of past or current work that I may see. 

Thanks everyone!  I have such respect for all that you guys can do.  Maybe one day if I can take a break from my current love of quilting I'll try my luck at dressmaking, but today is not that day!  :)

isabelladangelo

I would highly suggest going to the bridal shows, go to the bridal stores, and asking them if they can recommend anyone.  I'm not sure if anyone here can do an in person fitting in Iowa.  However, many of us (my self included) do make gowns for others based upon measurements sent to us.  I personally have made bridesmaids gowns for a lady living in Texas.   You don't need to be in person to get a dress that fits you - you can also have it more fitted by any place that does alterations in your town if it's a bit loose.  That being said, caveat emptor.   A lot of people *think* they can make gowns for other people because they've learned to use a pattern and a sewing machine.   Ask any seamstress if s/he uses her/his own patterns that s/he drafts or if they use a commercial pattern.  If they use a commercial pattern, ask how long they have been sewing and for pictures of outfits they have made for other customers that don't live in their area.  Also, ask them if they have the legal authorization to be using those patterns for commercial purposes (it's illegal to sell a new garment made from a pattern without an agreement from the pattern maker.  It's okay if it's just an old garment -used clothing- but you can't specifically use the pattern over and over again for commercial gain without authorization from the pattern maker). Basically, ask about the process they use to make the outfit.   

Lady Renee Buchanan

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted lives in MN and is a magnificent seamstress.  I live in NW IL, and she's made noble garb for my whole family.  Send her a private renmail.  She can discuss your dress with you.
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Rowan MacD

I live in eastern Nebraska and have had 3 items made by Lady Kathleen..  She is your best bet for renaissance wedding gear.
  Assuming you cannot make a road trip to have the gown fitted personally:
  Once you have decided on a pattern or style, she will probably make a muslin mock up for you to try on and send it to you with instructions on what she needs to have done.
   If you really want an exact fit-take that muslin (and yourself) to an alterations place and have them fit it to you, then send it back to Kathleen to have it made into the finished gown.

Lord of the Rings- Seems to suggest to me that you are looking for a kirtle-like dress? 
http://kecky.deviantart.com/art/Lady-of-the-Green-Kirtle-43720214
Those are closely fitted, however they are usually laced down the sides or up the back, making a snug fit a breeze.

What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Merlin the Elder

Lady Kathleen also made an original outfit for me, and hasn't been closer than several hundred miles. I had no fit issues.  BE SURE, if you are considering her, to give her PLENTY of notice.  You haven't mentioned when, and she is a very sought-after designer.
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

DonaCatalina

Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess