News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do you drink from?

Started by 609wood, September 20, 2013, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

609wood

Tankard, stein, horn or glass?  What do you drink from and why?  Does your local renfest pour into your cup without using a disposable plastic cup or do they "count cups"?
I picked up a nice williamsburg kirk stieff pewter tankard on Ebay which seems suitable for pirate as well as renasance wear. It was somewhat gray with oxidation and had several scratches but it buffed out beautifully with a little Flits metal polish and a few paper towels.  Here is a picture. It was very reasonable and much nicer than what I was finding tin the local antique stores.

I would like to see what you have and hear how you came by it. Thanks. 

Lady Renee Buchanan

Most of the time, I use a wooden mug purchased at Wondrous Works in Wood.  Great size, and beautiful.  The patterns are unique to each mug, so I picked out the one I liked best, and enjoy looking at it every time I use it.

In a tiny faire that's no longer in existence in Iowa, a merchant was selling wooden goblets for $4.  Lathe-turned and very beautiful.  I bought one, and on the way out of the faire, I found another one just like it, a bit smaller, in the parking lot.  I gave that one to a friend.

For noble garb, Steve found some beautiful silver goblets on Ebay.  They have a gold stripe around the top where you drink from.  They don't hold as much as a mug, so we only use them for noble garb, when we want to sip.

At Bristol, when I get soda, they usually take my mug and fill it directly.  I don't drink beer or wine, so I'm not 100% sure, because whenever Steve comes back from the pub with a beer, he already has it in his mug. 
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Jade

I  generally  use  my pewtinium  tankard  from ballena bay.

I  love how cool it keeps things,  And I also love that I can put hot drinks in it.  I'm a big fan of hot cider.
The faire I go to won't fill the mug  up.  I just pour  the plastic cup  in.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I have a Goblet I purchased last year from a vendor at the Janesville Renaissance festival. A small festival dubbed "Bristol lite" .

"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

theChuck

i have a leather mug from ulfric leather that's really well made. it's lined with beeswax inside, but that doesn't affect the flavor. his facebook page has been updated, but ulfric's site is down, it seems...
The Renlist - find faires near you!

Welsh Wench

When you have a Grichel, you don't need a mug!

[/URL
Show me your tan lines..and I'll show you mine!

I just want to be Layla.....

Captain Jack Wolfe

"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

isabelladangelo

Quote from: Captain Jack Wolfe on September 21, 2013, 07:16:12 PM

... of course.  8)

I'd be worried about the mulled cider mixing with the pool water in the library....

Captain Jack Wolfe

Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 21, 2013, 07:33:16 PM
I'd be worried about the mulled cider mixing with the pool water in the library....

I've almost got that sorted. You can barely taste the chlorine anymore.  ;)
"I'm not sure about people anymore. They're responsible for some pretty nutty stuff. Individuals I'm crazy about, though." ~ Opus

Jade

Quote from: Captain Jack Wolfe on September 21, 2013, 08:27:01 PM
Quote from: isabelladangelo on September 21, 2013, 07:33:16 PM

I've almost got that sorted. You can barely taste the chlorine anymore.  ;)
bwah ha ha!

GryffinSong

I keep my eyes out for pottery mugs at the thrift stores. So far I have three that I like, two with handles and one without.
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken." - Oscar Wilde

scarletnyx

When I'm getting my morning coffee drink at Sherwood, the Paleo Puffin just put the coffee drink in my Wondrous Works of Wood mug. I haven't tried it at TRF yet, but that will change in a few weeks!

When the husband and I want to bring water inside with us, we have a few ways. We will either just bring in about half a days worth of bottled water with us in our bags ( he will go through two bottles just eating a meal), or use our drinking gourds. He has a plain one that clips onto his belt, and I have a decorated one that goes with my haik. I don't have a gourd/bota bag to go with my Templar outfit yet but I'm looking.
2013 RenNado Survivor
Phoenix Risen

DonaCatalina

Milord and I both use tall pewter goblets that we purchased many years ago at an antique mall, along with some Wilton Pewter plates.

We like them for hot weather because the thick metal stays COLD.

Both TRF and Scarborough 'count cups' so they pour the plastic cup into our goblets. But most of the bartenders will give the goblets a shake with ice first to chill them down.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

isabelladangelo

DSC04240 par Isabella, on ipernity

Don't worry about the cat in the background.   ;)

I sometimes have a silver goblet, a red glass goblet, or this.  I normally carry this around because my Dad got it for me just for my "Renaissance stuff".  In the SCA, the seahorse (the handle of the mug) is the symbol of Atlantia (MD, VA, NC, SC, and a tiny sliver of GA).  Although it should have a unicornate (a horn), most people don't bother and just carry stuff around with seahorses on it.  This was my Dad's contribution to my obsession.  ;-)

LissaRoisin

I just purchased a new wood mug this weekend as my other wood mug developed a crack (it will be repaired and become my spare).
I also purchased my soon his first mug.
IWG #3491
IFRP #1486
Loveland Castleteer
Captain of the Wenches Desire