News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Hat Help!

Started by Lady von Engestrom, September 30, 2014, 05:02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady von Engestrom

I feel like I should know what to do about this, but...  I bought a lovely, new, fur felt hat from The Milliner's Wife at Bristol this year.  It fits quite well, but it seems that as the day rolls on, it has a problem staying put if I look down.  Now, I don't generally stroll around faire looking at my toes (rather with my chin up!), but after almost dropping in the privy a couple of times, I think I might need to find a way to secure it.

Anyone have any tips/tricks/suggestions on how to keep it put?  I'm wearing said hat in my profile pic, but not sure how well anyone can actually see it.  :)

isabelladangelo

Sew a small comb to the front or sides of the inside of the hat.  It will help to secure the hat to your head. 

Lady von Engestrom

See, I should have known that.    ::)   Thank you so much!

gem

The combs really do work astonishingly well. I have one inside the crown of the pillbox I made, and *every time* I unpack it to wear it, I look at the thing and thing, "How on earth does this stay on my head?" And yet, there's just enough grip--which I can't even feel--from the comb that it doesn't budge all day.

Lady Kathleen of Olmsted

I met and spoke with this vendor at Bristol in August. Her hats are indeed beautiful and well made.

The suggestion of stitching in a comb is a good one. I tend to make the hats I wear a size larfer dje to having thick hair and a big head. I wear snoods or coifs, so a larger hat stays in place nicely without pinning down.
"As with Art as in Life, nothing succeeds like excess.".....Oscar Wilde

LadyStitch

If you still need more help after the comb. There is the bridal loop trick.  When you can find them, pick up some loops that go on the back of bridal dresses for those ity bitty pearl buttons.  Stitch those to the inside edge for bobby pin loops.  Works well for the professional ballerinas and actors I know. 
It is kind of strange watching your personal history become costume.

Rowan MacD

I have a tall hat that I made too small for my head-It just perches there. I tried combs with mixed results.
  I got my idea from a portrait of Anne Boleyn.  It is believed they used chin straps (ribbons) in period to hold the french hood in place, very useful during activities like dancing.
  With that in mind; I bought a set of those 1/2" wide satin elastic headbands from Walmart (they look like wide, rubber bands covered in fabric.) There were a couple in the bunch that matched my hair color pretty closely.
  I cut one open and stitched the ends onto the hat crown lining ,approximately centered on each side.
   After placing the hat on my head- I looped the band under my coif (or under your hair, bun, etc.)  at the back of my neck.
   Viola! the hat stays put in a strong wind, and I can even lean down to adjust a stocking without slippage.   If the hat shows a tendency to slide backwards when the band pulls on it, you could add a small comb in front to stabilize it-but I don't think that will be needed in your case.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt