News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

What do you drink from?

Started by 609wood, September 20, 2013, 11:20:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gypsylakat

Quote from: Welsh Wench on September 21, 2013, 09:23:49 AM
When you have a Grichel, you don't need a mug!

[/URL
I totally missed these when I was in their shop... Must have.
"A kiss can be a comma, a question mark or an exclamation point.
That's basic spelling that every woman ought to know."

Merlin the Elder

"When do you drink from" would be easier to answer...
Living life in the slow lane
ROoL #116; the Jack of Daniels; AARP #7; SS# 000-00-0013
I've upped my standards. Now, up yours.
...and may all your babies be born naked...

Rani Zemirah

My daughter and I each have a tin lined copper mug that we wear on our belts.  Like the pewter, they stay nice and COLD!  We also have a couple of pewter goblets we carried before we found the mugs, but they are heavier, and less easily carried, so they tend to stay home now. 
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Bob of the Lake

Leather mug. Beeswax outside, brewer's pitch inside.
I came, I saw, I skipped to my lou.
            - Hammy the Squirrel

GoodyTombShoes

Wild Bill's Soda stainless steel mug. Yep. It even has a bucking bronco on the side. It's huge, light and makes an awesome drum.
Ale's a strong wrestler, flings all it has met. And makes the ground slip, even when it's not wet
IWG #3733

Norfolk

Just call me "Your Grace"

Ms Trish

Here are the beautiful leather mugs made for me and my daughter by the better half of one of our RF members! ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/39102359@N02/
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Butch

I used to drink from a tin cup I covered in knotwork (square knotwork, if you know what that it).  But I got tired of the steel taste.  So, I switched to a pewter mug that I again covered in knotwork.  The mug used to have a crest on it from some intermural hockey club somewhere in New England; I filed and sanded that off so it is now a blank crest under the knotwork.  It is a bit heavier than the tin cup, yes.  The handle gets MUCH hotter from coffee!  I hold it by the knotwork in those cases.  I also have a cord tied to the handle, that I also tie to the wrist of my drinking hand, so I don't leave my cup anywhere!

Butch

Quote from: Bob of the Lake on September 24, 2013, 08:40:45 PM
Leather mug. Beeswax outside, brewer's pitch inside.
Bob, my son made a jack for himself.  The inside is coated with a mix of brewers pitch and beeswax.  He learned of this combo from some of his leatherworking community.  He melted them both together and applied them while still liquid.  The coating isn't nearly as brittle as beeswax alone, and doesn't smell nearly as fragrant as brewer's pitch alone.

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on September 26, 2013, 09:31:15 AM
I also have a cord tied to the handle, that I also tie to the wrist of my drinking hand, so I don't leave my cup anywhere!

It also helps you with that drinking game we played!!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on September 26, 2013, 10:29:09 AM
I also have a cord tied to the handle, that I also tie to the wrist of my drinking hand, so I don't leave my cup anywhere!

*shhh!  We're gonna try to get some new lifetime members during RenDezVous!  Remember, they cannot know the rules until they agree to play for life!

Ms Trish

Quote from: Butch on September 26, 2013, 11:25:58 AM

*shhh!  We're gonna try to get some new lifetime members during RenDezVous!  Remember, they cannot know the rules until they agree to play for life!
People ought to know better than to play games with you two without knowing what they're getting in to!
If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right!

Butch

Quote from: Ms Trish on September 26, 2013, 11:28:33 AM
Quote from: Butch on September 26, 2013, 11:25:58 AM

People ought to know better than to play games with you two without knowing what they're getting in to!
Fun!  Cap'n Spleen is a member!  Watch him!

stonebiscuit

I have a mug and straw from Wondrous Works in Wood. It's some sort of dark wood with an almost purplish tone. I cracked it (fell backwards into a tree, long story) and they fixed it good as new in five days. Love them, love it.

Kate XXXXXX

These!

The tankard is a hand made copy of a 16th C one, and holds an imperial half pint (10fl oz).  I've had it for many years, and it has occasionally been dropped, so is a might bent in places!  Mind you, it's so solid it chipped a paving block and suffered no damage on one occasion!  It's my Go To beer and cider mug for things like the Rochester Sweeps festival and my LARP events.

The goblet holds about 5fl oz and is perfect for things like mead.

The tankard often gets attached to my belt if i'm out and about, with a lovely leather buckled strap made for me by a LARP leaher worker, but the goblet stays put in camp!  I also have a nice fine lipped pair of stoneware goblets that we use as wine cups.  They too stay in camp.  And we have the 1pint stoneware mugs that are used for tea, coffee, and water.  They are made by a potter specializing in hand thrown repro medieval pottery.  I don't as yet have pictures of them.  The joyful thing about being attached to a group that runs an in character pub is that we get to use these lovely things all the time in camp!