News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

(Faux) fur shrug--updated with PHOTOS!!

Started by gem, September 24, 2013, 07:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rani Zemirah

Sounds like the shaving should take place out of doors, maybe?  lol
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Kate XXXXXX

Forget brushes!  Hoover the fur as you go!   ;)  And wear a dust mask!  (We face more fur-shaving escapades this coming month...   :'(   But the money will be good!)

gem

Thanks, all! Sounds like rotating a dart to the side seam is the way to go. :)

And, honestly, I have three big, long-haired dogs. I don't think we'll notice a little extra shedding in the sewing (aka living) room! LOL

gem

And... we have SHRUG!!

And a back view, a little wonky b/c I haven't trimmed or combed the seams yet.

I did realize, after sewing this up, as well as a microsuede lining... that I don't actually know how to line it. I'll probably leave it as is for the weekend (I think it's shedded its last, for now), but I would like it to be fully finished eventually.

Erm... help? I would normally bag line it, but beyond the little fiddly bit of closing the opening for turning it... along the fur (!), I'm not even sure how to handle the armholes (normally I turn through shoulder seams). I could just do it all by hand, turning the edges under & blind stitching... but neither fabric seems amenable to that method.

Anyone have advice before I irrevocably trim all my seams?!

Kate XXXXXX

Cut your lining with a small turning, and turn it in and whipstitch it to the raw edge of the fur.  It'll be hard work, but effective!

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on October 04, 2013, 04:12:43 AM
Cut your lining with a small turning, and turn it in and whipstitch it to the raw edge of the fur.  It'll be hard work, but effective!

Its looking good. But I think what Kate suggested is the way to go. That is the method you see with quite a few real fur pieces.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

gem

So I leave the edge of the fur unturned then? The whipstitching is the only thing finishing the fur edge?

Kate XXXXXX

No, but it's probably one of the easiest!  It won't fray or ravel, and the whipstitching is easier through the single layer of fur fabric!  You could shave the seam allowances and turn it under, but it'll leave you with a thicker lumpier edge that is much harder to sew through.

Rani Zemirah

Ooooh...pretty!  I'm afraid my "useful" suggestions are at an end, since I haven't a clue as to how to line something like that.  I AM looking forward to seeing it worn, though!  Can we get a pic if you modeling it for us, or do we have to wait for the garb shot?  :P  lol
Rani - Fire Goddess

Aut disce... aut discede

Marietta Graziella

I got to see this piece in action on Sunday. It looks fantastic!
Nothing clever to say here.  Not enough caffine yet.

Dinobabe

I know you already sewed... but... since it only has one seam I would line it before stitching.  Then turn the seam and stitch as you normally would.  You will have an edge on the inside but this seems like the easiest way.
Natasha McCallister
Bristol Faire 1988-2005
The Wizard's Chamber/Sir Don Palmist
59.2% FaireFolk Corrupt
midsouthrenfaire.com

DonaCatalina

Quote from: Kate XXXXXX on September 30, 2013, 02:12:39 PM
Forget brushes!  Hoover the fur as you go!   ;)  And wear a dust mask!  (We face more fur-shaving escapades this coming month...   :'(   But the money will be good!)

I still chuckle every time I read this post since I can picture the scene exactly, having been there.

Gem- you looked exotically beautiful in the completed outfit.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess