News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Opinions/Help please!

Started by LadyHelenofCarvylle, September 25, 2013, 02:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LadyHelenofCarvylle

I have been fortunate enough to be born into a family with a rabid love of both history and Faires/Festivals. We've been attending local Faires (VA/MD) for close to a decade and have decided we'd liked a cohesive family back story within which we can expand our individual characters. As the one with the most time on my hands the writing has fallen to me. This is what I have thus far:

Our family hails from the Scottish Highlands. My Dad's character is Lord William Stuart, Earl of Carvylle. Moms character is Lady Kathryn Stuart, Countess of Carvylle and Baroness Von Skinflint. I am Lady Helen of Carvylle, my sister is Lady Rachel, and my brother either Lord or Sir David.

The basics are a combination of my families real connection to history- descended from the royal stuarts on my dad's side; my dads a mechanic for a day job, hence Carvylle (pronounced like Argyle). Moms Baroness title comes from our first time at MDRF where she was heckled as a skinflint for not buying my brother a toy (she laughed harder than anyone and insists skinflint be part of her character :)

My biggest questions are 1) what's the H/A thing to call my brother, we're not sure if it's Lord or Sir. 2) does my mother use both titles or only the highest one? I can't seem to find a solid answer in my research. We'd like to keep it as H/A as possible within the confines of it being a totally fictional title. Any help/comments/ critiques are most welcome :)

DonaCatalina

1) If your brother is the heir to the Earldom, his title is Lord David. Sir David would technically correct among his peers of the same rank. But Lord would be the preferred title.

2) In every day usage your mother would be Her Ladyship, Countess Caryville. About the only time she would use the Baroness title would be when handling the business of the Barony itself.
Aurum peccamenes multifariam texit
Marquesa de Trives
Portrait Goddess

LadyHelenofCarvylle