News:

Welcome to the Renaissancefestival.com Forums!  Please post an introduction after signing up!

For an updated map of Ren Fests check out The Ren List at http://www.therenlist.com!

The Chat server is now running again, just select chat on the menu!

Main Menu

Must-See at KCRF!

Started by gem, September 26, 2013, 11:24:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gem

Your illustrious hosts have decreed that we compile a worthy record of the most Notable and Distinguished Attractions in our fair city, and let it be proclaimed throughout the land! In other words, what are the "must see," "must do," "must shop at," and "must eats" at KCRF! We know a lot of you are coming from around the midwest and that vendors and acts travel the circuit, as well, so many things will no doubt be familiar to you... but we'd love to throw out a big ol' list of our favorites, to make the travel to Canterbury worth your while!

So have at it, everyone! What are you looking forward to on your visit? And for the locals, what do we say not to miss?

I'll start!

First off, I think we have darn good food. Yep, the staples are all here: turkey legs (altho' here in KC, we really know how to smoke 'em!!), mead, Scotch eggs. But I'm going to say, do not miss the white chocolate raspberry scones at the Cup & Chaucer coffee house, and while you're at it grab a pack of little lemony sugar cookies. Possibly our signature dish, though, would be our hot apple dumplings a la mode. We have relatives who travel here every year just for those. :)

What else?

Gauwyn of Bracknell

As a visitor I would strongly recommend the History tour, the mayor's court and crepes!
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

The Peoples Court with the Lord Mayor is not going this year!  Also, there is no town dance at the cobblestones at the end of the day.

Try some Pirtle mead while you're here-it's made locally!  I kinda like their spanakopita at the Greek place.

Check out the wooden mugs at Tri Canis Nox!  I haven't seen mugs like them anywhere!

There is an act called May I Have This Dance, who teaches some court dances and ENCOURAGES the audience to participate!  It is great fun!

Any techhie/computer/gaming enthusiasts should check out "Clearly Guilty".

Finally (for now) we have a mud show (new this year) that is actually pretty good!

Rowan MacD

We are not planning to attend this year-but i would recommend Tig'r Toggs, for comfy garb,  and the Pirate Leatherwerks (it they are there on that weekend) for excellent quality Tricorns.   The used to make them to order if you have a couple hours.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Quote from: Butch on September 26, 2013, 11:52:28 AM
The Peoples Court with the Lord Mayor is not going this year!  Also, there is no town dance at the cobblestones at the end of the day.

Bummer - I liked the court (although your son may be relieved  :P ).  Also, no dance at the end  :(
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Lady Renee Buchanan

Never been to KCRF, but Tinker MacLea has been an entertainer at Bristol for over 33 years, even before it was Bristol.  He is so loved at Bristol.  All of his music is good, but what we especially like is that when he does his Scottish songs, and sometimes Irish songs, he gives the history of what was going on and why the song was written, or he explains words that may not be familiar to his audience.

By the way, he doesn't know we are visiting for the Rendezvous.  We specifically didn't tell him, because we want to surprise him!  So if you go these next 2 weekends, sshhhhhhh............!
A real Surf Diva
Landshark who loves water
Chieftesse Surf'n Penny of Clan O'Siodhachain,
Irish Penny Brigade
Giver of Big Hugs 
Member since the beginning of RF
All will be well. St. Julian of Norwich

Butch

We have caught almost every show by Tinker McLea!  He knows about the RenDezVous, but has no idea who is coming.

Norfolk

There is a crafter who makes wonderful things from genuine bird's eggs, ranging in size from robin to ostrich.  She makes everything from tiny clocks to goblets.  She is just to the right of the front gate.  A must see.
Just call me "Your Grace"

gem

That's Yolanda Lee Pears (no kidding!) of Royal Eggs. Her booth is always packed. (It's right next to the turkey legs!)

And two booths down (or so) from Yolanda, are Mike and Amanda O'Leary of Fairytale Chainmaille, newcomers to KCRF last year. They made my gorgeous scale mail Valkyrie armor!

Back the other direction from the front gates (turn left as you come in & go past the first stage) is Wood, Willow, & Whatnots, another relatively new merchant. Jerry and Liza hail from Florida, but they've been bringing their beautiful wood burning and essential oils to KCRF for the last three seasons. It's been great to see their booth get bigger every year!

I've also been in touch with Donna Scarfe of Fyne Hats by Felicity, who's getting ready to come down for her second season! (She starts the year at Des Moines.) She makes beautiful, historically accurate hats. I'm so excited that she's here at KCRF!! We *adore* Kathel from Lionheart Hats, as well, who's been a KCRF fixture as long as we've been coming (at least 13 years!). She make a variety of fun, affordable hats, from nice felt Cavaliers and Robin Hood caps, to muffin caps and snoods, to that awesome thing I bought last year. :D

Gauwyn of Bracknell

is there any rat-pucking going on??  (my rats have been in training)
Born 500 years late

Gauwyn of Bracknell

Butch

Quote from: Gauwyn of Bracknell on September 27, 2013, 08:01:41 AM
is there any rat-pucking going on??  (my rats have been in training)
Well, yes, actually!  They have some Scotsman and his young apprentice in the lanes "inventing" the game of golf!  They're each using some sort of rodent that they "puck" about.

Rowan MacD

Quote from: gem on September 26, 2013, 10:49:52 PM
I've also been in touch with Donna Scarfe of Fyne Hats by Felicity, who's getting ready to come down for her second season! (She starts the year at Des Moines.) She makes beautiful, historically accurate hats. I'm so excited that she's here at KCRF!!
Donna helped me fix my hat this year when I saw her at DMRF(I did the work, she provided the advice ^_^.)  She won the royal warrant for 'best hand made craftsman' at KC last year.   She has that one displayed in her tent/booth (depends on the faire). 
   She was also at the Iowa Renaissance festival; I also have two hats made by her. Excellent craftsmanship.
What doesn't kill me-had better run.
IWG wench #3139 
19.7% FaireFolk pure-80.3% FaireFolk corrupt